Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
omgu8myrice

Has anyone noticed how amazingly different you can look in different lighting?

So I was just taking some pics to post up to see if people thought my acne was bad enough for accutane, and I noticed how vastly diff I look in the pictures between two diff locations.

In the first batch of pictures I'm in a room with white flourescent lighting and the flash on. My skin looks very white (which it is) and the acne looks bad.

The second pictures I took were in the bathroom where I had yellow lighting and my skin looks SO much better. Just in general, I look so much better. It's making me reallly think I needa go out and get a tan asap.

On that note, has anyone gone tanning and noticed there skin looked better afterwards? I think it would help ease the clash or red acne/white skin, but I'm afraid tanning will make my acne more red.

I hear tanning's a no-no because it makes your redmarks last longer, but I haven't actually tested this out myself.

And yes, lighting makes all the difference. And if you're using makeup and want to be accurate, it's important to apply it the most accurate light you can find, that exposes your true colors.

it's the lighting, the flash setting, and the angle you're shooting in. imo, tanning is a big no-no. it can be really damaging to the skin. if you want advice on getting acutane, i would schedule an appointment with a dermatologist.

I think excessive tanning is a no-no. It's good to get sun. Sun is healthy. Spending 15 minutes a day in the sun isn't going to ruin your skin. We're not that wussy. Maybe if you're Irish, but even then, just put on some sun screen. Going all out with the tanning can turn bad, though. Just important to moderate it, I guess.

Besides, pale is coming back! No really, it is! >.>;

I think excessive tanning is a no-no. It's good to get sun. Sun is healthy. Spending 15 minutes a day in the sun isn't going to ruin your skin. We're not that wussy. Maybe if you're Irish, but even then, just put on some sun screen. Going all out with the tanning can turn bad, though. Just important to moderate it, I guess.

Tanning is very tempting, but it's a temporary fix.

Think about it, do you want to risk developing skin cancer for a short time of clear skin?

And yes, lighting is EVERYTHING!

DO NOT GO TANNING. I did it for years, and I now have to force myself not to. It's not about skin cancer, but it's about dealing with and taking care of the acne. When I go tanning, my skin looks clear, when I don't go tanning, my skin looks even worse. Hm, wonder why. We have to face what we've been given and do all we can to take care of it, but tanning is a huge waste of money, and a pretty superficial thing I might add. Only select countries even use tanning beds. They can easily make your face seem scarred if you stop tanning as well, and trust me, you don't want to fork out that much money and nonsense for the rest of your life.

yes, tanning can cause skin cancer if you over do it. BUT..in the winter it is good to go like..once a week for about....10-15 mins. i have read that in several places. i work somewhere that has tanning beds and you have to take this test before you can operate em. and in the booklet it says that it will not help acne, and that it actually makes it worse in the long run. i know people that go tanning but place a towel over their face. i go every now and then in the winter..just because i read that it can be good for you. besides, it is very relaxing when its soo cold! and it also helps your self esteem.. i know it always makes me feel better.

In my bathroom lighting I've had the temptation to think I look like a million

bucks, everywhere else, whole other story entirely :rolleyes:

I don't think tanning is that bad, as long as you keep it minimal. Last summer

I finally got over my terror of the sun (induced by product warnings lol) and just

got 20 or so minutes of it everyday, and never looked better, or felt better :D

But I don't know if that's the same as tanning.

In my bedroom lighting.. I look like Rachel Welch. :drool:

In my kitchen lighting.. I look like Rosanne Barr. :mad:

Yeah, and it sucks. :(

It's why I always put my makeup on in the fluorescent lighting in the bathroom. If I can look passable in that light, I'll look good anywhere else. :P

Tanning beds, in my opinion, are a waste of money. So many people overdo it, it's not even funny. Getting a tan didn't make my acne any better, either.

And yes, there is a HUGE difference on how my made-up face looks in different lighting.

Tanning beds

Sunbed info from the WHO

From the FDA:

Some experts argue that artificial tanning is less dangerous because the intensity of light and the time spent tanning are controlled. There is limited evidence to support these claims. On the other hand, sunlamps may be more dangerous than the sun because they can be used at the same intensity every day of the year - something that is unlikely for the sun because of winter weather and cloud cover. They can also be more dangerous because people can expose their entire bodies at each session, which would be difficult to do outdoors.