Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
omgu8myrice

What are the requirements to get accutane?

Nothing I seem to be doing is working. Everything starts out promising for a few days and then it just comes back full force.

What do you have to do to get accutane? I think that's my last, positive hope before I just give up. My acne is moderate, I won't say severe because I've seen much worse looking acne and I don't have cysts or anything like that, my skin is just sensitive and appears red too much.

If someone could check out the pics of my skin and see if they *think* I'd be eligible to get accutane treatments before I go to the derm, that'd be great.

Thanks all

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a196/UosLegacy/front.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a196/UosLegacy/cheek2.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a196/UosLegacy/cheek1.jpg

And just to add, I'll be honest, it might just be that we always see things worse for ourselves, but I really think the marks are a bit darker in person and look a fair bit worse.

don't worry man. you have mild acne nothing serious.

I don't think the derm would prescribe you accutane. they only give to those who have no other options.

don't worry man. you have mild acne nothing serious.

I don't think the derm would prescribe you accutane. they only give to those who have no other options.

no they wont give it to you...have you tried alot of topicals plus antibiotics? because if those dont work thats when theyll accept accutane, but not for you anyways its too mild

before you request accutane you have to have tried just about everything possible. it's a last resort medicine. have you ever considered adding an antibiotic to your regimen? this may help. it will help internally while your topicals help externally. some possible antibiotics are

-tetrocycline

-doxycycline

-minocycline (i'm taking this)

-bactrim

your dr may start you out on 100mgs 2x a day. you usually take them for 6 months and then slowly wean yourself off of them while still using your topicals. how many topicals have you tried? i've heard a lot of people have sucess with benzaclin. it's a combination of benzoyl peroxide and clymadacin. the website is benzaclin.com

What prescription meds have you tried so far? Unless your acne is very severe (which yours isn't), you would need to have tried several topicals and then oral antibiotics for several months each with no success.

Accutane IS sometimes prescribed for mild acne, mainly if all other options have failed, you have scarring and/or it is causing you a lot of emotional distress.

I see.. thanks. I've been to the derm a few times and have gotten a several diff topics (BP 5% lotion, differin gel, few others) and I got one antibiotic that starts with a "t" that I'm forgetting.. it was helping for a bit but it made me nauseous a lot so they took me off it.

Can low doses of accutane be given to help with the production of oil? I'm not even that concerned about my acne, it's more how oily my skin becomes after 1-2 hours of washing that I hate

Possibly tetracycline? There are many others you could try, and unlink terta they don't need to ba taken on an empty stomach. So less nausea I'd imagine. I don't think many derms would consider accutane for oil - only acne, though I believe a few in the USA do if that's where you live. Have you tried Retin A? Some people find that helps with oil I think (topical retinoid). If not, you could use face wipes every few hours.

Hrm, I thought accutane helped lower the production of oil. I guess I heard wrong, thanks.

Also, wiping up the oil every few hours does nothing. About 2 hours after I wash my face, it is fully oily. I can wipe off a thin layer of it on the surface, but my skin will maintain a look of skin saturated oil until I wash it again. I hate it