Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Danny©

Suggestions for a better skin?

We have often discussed things we can do to lessen or reverse our acne.

But we are so good that in this section of the forum there are many people with no acne (except for some black heads or occasional pimpe maybe) but that find themselves with a not so good skin: dull, not bright, poor texture and complexion, sick looking.

What do you suggest to improve your skin once the acne is gone.

Any mask, tea, special food or whatever trick or strategies you know?

You dont have a vibrant complexion, with all your veggies, Danny, or it this just meant in general?

I think veggies, fruit and healthy oils especially give you a very nice skin.

Furthermore, I know salmon is good and flaxseed gives me nice and soft skin...

At night I use a hypo-allergenic anti-oxidant cream, with a lot of vit E, A, sodium pidolate (natural moisturizer), Evening Primrose Oil and MSM. I like it. I think I would have a good soft skin... if it wasnt for the cysts, blackheads and occasional pimple, lol...

You can also try egg masks, clay masks, aspirine masks and what not

Olive oil on the skin is very good and coconut oil is also supposed to give you glowing skin, but I also read its comedogenic...

Fat and meat are probably what make my skin look best.

Sunlight / tanning lamps/beds also noticeably improve my skin tone.

Maybe you just need to exfoliate. you could use a product with glycolic, lactic or salicylic acid. Or use baking soda for a gentle scrub followed by an acidic toner to restore PH. Or the aspirin mask or scrub.

I assume you already consume plenty of olive oil. What about fatty fish?

Flax seed, for me. I don't know why it works so well because I consume a lot of fish oil and eat plenty of omega-3 eggs, but flax seed always makes my skin look the best.

You dont have a vibrant complexion, with all your veggies, Danny, or it this just meant in general?

Meant in general but my skin could be better.

It is better in the summer but when it's winter it gets flaky.

I'd like it to be move bright but in winter it is kind of duller.

danny34.jpg

You can also try egg masks, clay masks, aspirine masks and what not

Olive oil on the skin is very good and coconut oil is also supposed to give you glowing skin, but I also read its comedogenic...

Could be the exercise too.

I exercise a lot though ... have always been a sport kid.

Regularly I do: a body weight/free weight workout, HIIT cardio, yoga, tae bo, swimming in the covered pool, riding my bike around, walking everyday and plus I play volleyball and soccer.

I play the piano everyday and sing as a tenor in a choir.

sweating, drinking water, veggies, fruits, getting enough sleep, colon detoxing/cleansing (the colon detox really really helped with all of the skin on my face, it is so much smoother and hydrated). all i can think of right now

Oh, ok, I can see what you're saying then. That's an interesting connection. Are you getting more sun when you're hiking?

I'm actually thinking of going to a tanning bed, not for a tan but because I've been a homebody for so long, I think I'm most likely vitamin D deficient. Sun produces so many more times more vitamin D than supplements that taking supplements of vitamin D seems silly and pointless.

Sunlight is definitely important. My skin also looks more even and bright when I get enough fresh air, like during sleeping for example, I always have my window slightly open even during the coldest months..my skin looks twice as better the next day.

EFA's, daily face massages, and even laughing helps (relieving stress)..believe it or not.

It's only the high-pressure/speed-tanning beds that use all UVA. You have to call the tanning salon and ask them which types of beds they have available to see.

Low pressure beds emit 94%-97.5% UVA and 2.5%-6% UVB which I'm pretty sure is similar to the sun. They are good enough to produce vitamin D for sure:

Subjects who used a tanning bed had serum 25(OH)D concentrations 90% higher than those of control subjects (115.5 ± 8.0 and 60.3 ± 3.0 nmol/L, respectively; P < 0.001). Subjects who used a tanning bed had parathyroid hormone concentrations 18% lower than those of control subjects (21.4 ± 1.0 and 25.3 ± 0.8 pg/mL, respectively; P = 0.01). Tanners had significantly higher BMD and z scores at the total hip than did nontanners.

It's only the high-pressure/speed-tanning beds that use all UVA. You have to call the tanning salon and ask them which types of beds they have available to see.

Aha I thought it was to little UVB to get any amount of vitamin D.

My tanning bed at home stopped working a few weeks ago. :(

Low pressure beds emit 94%-97.5% UVA and 2.5%-6% UVB which I'm pretty sure is similar to the sun. They are good enough to produce vitamin D for sure:

Subjects who used a tanning bed had serum 25(OH)D concentrations 90% higher than those of control subjects (115.5 ± 8.0 and 60.3 ± 3.0 nmol/L, respectively; P < 0.001). Subjects who used a tanning bed had parathyroid hormone concentrations 18% lower than those of control subjects (21.4 ± 1.0 and 25.3 ± 0.8 pg/mL, respectively; P = 0.01). Tanners had significantly higher BMD and z scores at the total hip than did nontanners.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/80/6/1645

Very nice to have a tanning bed at home...although broken I guess not so nice.

I am saving up for that Mercola tanning device.

What do you suggest to improve your skin once the acne is gone.

Any mask, tea, special food or whatever trick or strategies you know?

I think skin looks good in the pic danny doesnt look dull or anything like that

I got pretty badly sunburnt heaps growing up which did damage so I'll try using topical coconut oil. I have used it in the past showed some improvement I think, but didnt use it for long enough.

I got pretty badly sunburnt heaps growing up which did damage so I'll try using topical coconut oil. I have used it in the past showed some improvement I think, but didnt use it for long enough.

Thanks !! :angel:

I think the more we tweak our lifestyle and our nutrition (cause health has become a life commitment to me) the more we tend to become a little perfectionist. I want to try the cononut topical stuff. I remember reading about a island population who had the most beautiful skin in the world because they used coconut topically but didn't think much of it back then. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks !! :angel:

I think the more we tweak our lifestyle and our nutrition (cause health has become a life commitment to me) the more we tend to become a little perfectionist. I want to try the cononut topical stuff. I remember reading about a island population who had the most beautiful skin in the world because they used coconut topically but didn't think much of it back then. Thanks for the suggestion.