Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amberstar

accutane and hair loss

I have a few questions to ask you guys. I hope you will be able to help me out a little bit. I have acne and rosacea. I have tried every damn thing in the book and nothing worked. Doxcycline was the only thing that worked. My face was clear for a couple of years until a few months ago my face started breaking out. I went to the dermatalogist and had three laser treatments done...4 weeks apart. (Photodynamic, IPL and VBeam lasers) My last laser treatments was last week. My face has broke out the worse in my life! I couldn't believe it! So, finally the dermatalogist wants to me to try taking low dose of acctuane. Here are my questions for you guys and hopefully you guys are able to give me some advice. I read that hair loss can occur in 10 to 25 percent of accutane users. Some of their hair never grew back again. My brother was bald before he was 30 years old. I am 28 years old and I used to have thick hair and it became thin after having two kids. My acne is making me really depressed. I have long hair and it's the only thing that makes me happy.......if I lose it, that would be the end of my life. Seriously.

So, after trying everything in the past for my acne and rosacea, should I go ahead and take accutane? Or should I try Clearlight laser? I haven't tried it yet. What would you do if you were in my situation? Any advice from you would be appreicated! Thank you.

Amber

Hi there,

I understand how you feel, and I felt the same way--- my hair was about the only physical feature I liked when my face was really explosive with acne. My first time on accutane I did experience a little hair loss, but I really wasn't sure if it was the accutane or the pill (which can cause it too I believe) But the decision is really up to you in the end to weigh the pros and cons. For me, I used a lot of shampoos for thinning hair like nioxin and then I used a chinese hair treatment called 101D and 101F (hair tonic) available at follica.com every night and that really brought back my hair (thickness and more healthy, not so dry and flyaway). I also switched to using organic shampoos like Druide that don't have a lot of added stuff to clog my scalp and weigh my hair down.

I hesitated for a long time to go back on accutane again (for a second time) I am 31 and am going through a divorce- which brought on the worse break out of my life....all over. And let me say, that I wish I hadn't waited so long to do it. I am still using the 101 D as added nutrients for my hair, and am taking fish oils as well-- I think this really helps. I also read from someone else on these boards that she uses kerastase and takes a hair supplement to protect against any thinning.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your decision.