Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AcneTrouble

Three Times a Day?

So I have now been on the regimen for 3 weeks and it is working very well, but my face is very oily and as the day goes on becomes increasingly worse looking. Much of my acne has cleared up but I still have many blackheads and a few pimples and I am convinced that it is because of the fact that my face becomes so oily during the day and pores become clogged up. I will dab my face with a paper towl during the day but I feel as if that may be rubbing off some of the BP put on earlier and with 12 hours between washes there is ample time for the oil to build up.

My question is this: I have been washing my face at 7 A.M. and 7 P.M. thus far, but would it hurt for me to wash my face a 7 A.M. and then 5 P.M. and the final wash at 12 A.M.? If I moisturize enough and only wash my face for 15-20 seconds I should prevent irritation but I am not sure if this would dry my face out or irritate my skin even more. Thanks for the help in advance, much appreciated.

You'll wash off more BP if you add a third cleansing in the middle of the day than just by absorbing the oil with tissue. I'd stick to blotting throughout the day rather than add in a third cleansing. People who work out in the middle of the day sometimes do the quick splash and moisturize thing to get rid of sweat, so what you're thinking of doing is not unheard of, but I would personally not wash my face in the middle of the day unless it was really disgusting from working out or what have you.

My dermatologist informed me many years ago to refrain from washing my face three times per day. The reason being, your skin will produce more oil to compensate for the drying it does to your skin (believe it or not).

Initially I was skeptical about what she had told me (imagine that - thinking that I knew better than someone who is a professional in the field), however, I found that as I cut down to just two washes per day (morning and night)... the oiliness that I was experiencing, which caused me to have to wash my face around 5 PM daily, went away.

As Kim stated, unless you are engaging in an activity that causes you to sweat (or causes your face to become oily), I would stick with just two times per day.

Which specific products/brands (cleanser, bp, moisturizer) are you using with the Regimen? You might find particular products help more or less with the oiliness issue, it's different for everyone.

So I have now been on the regimen for 3 weeks and it is working very well, but my face is very oily and as the day goes on becomes increasingly worse looking. Much of my acne has cleared up but I still have many blackheads and a few pimples and I am convinced that it is because of the fact that my face becomes so oily during the day and pores become clogged up. I will dab my face with a paper towl during the day but I feel as if that may be rubbing off some of the BP put on earlier and with 12 hours between washes there is ample time for the oil to build up.

My question is this: I have been washing my face at 7 A.M. and 7 P.M. thus far, but would it hurt for me to wash my face a 7 A.M. and then 5 P.M. and the final wash at 12 A.M.? If I moisturize enough and only wash my face for 15-20 seconds I should prevent irritation but I am not sure if this would dry my face out or irritate my skin even more. Thanks for the help in advance, much appreciated.

id say 2 times....... if u wash 3 times it will dry ur skin, and it will produce more oil.....if u wash 2 times and use moisturizer, the skin will stop producing so much oil, because there is no need to......

for severe acne though, accutane is the cure

I've been on the regimen going on to 3 years now, hard to believe, and 2 times a day is enough for me. 3 times is asking for trouble (irritation, dryness, breakouts, etc.)

And don't be discouraged that I've been on it so long..I'm on it cause it works. If I stop doing it, I start breaking out. Frankly, I wouldn't mind being on the regimen all my life if I had to