Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Willow68

Anyone on Spiro and Retin A over 30?

I'm almost 40 and am taking spiro 100mg and just started incoporating tretinoin in my skincare. Anyone else use both these products? My skin is driving me nuts and I can't believe I'm dealing with this at my age, it really sucks!

I"m just about 28 on 200 mg Spiro and using tretinoin cream. The Spiro truly is a miracle. It takes awhile to kick in, but IMO, it's well worth it. The tretinoin cream is also great because it can improve wrinkles and skin elasticity as well as help with acne. Hang in there!

Hi. I am 33 and just finishing my 1st month on spiro, and I have been using Ziana (which is a retin a, I believe) for about 6 months. I didn't start experiencing really bad break outs until about 5 years ago, after going of BCPs. I have seen improvements so far- less cysts, general clearing. I am happy b/c I read that it takes a while for the spiro to completely kick in, so I am hoping for continued improvement.

It is a dirty trick to be fighting acne at this age, huh? Good luck! I hope it works well for you.

Hi, thanks for the replys. I've actually been on spiro for about a year. It cleared me up very quickly after taking it. I was also on orthotryclen bcp and stopped that about 2 months ago and since then, even with spiro I've been getting breakouts again. I may up my dosage of spiro. Also it is very hard to get over the side effects of tretinoin, you read about the horrendous initial breakouts, which scares me to death because I always scar, and have plenty of scars already. :(

Hi, thanks for the replys. I've actually been on spiro for about a year. It cleared me up very quickly after taking it. I was also on orthotryclen bcp and stopped that about 2 months ago and since then, even with spiro I've been getting breakouts again. I may up my dosage of spiro. Also it is very hard to get over the side effects of tretinoin, you read about the horrendous initial breakouts, which scares me to death because I always scar, and have plenty of scars already. :(

Hi Willow, I'm 37 and have been on spiro for the past 6, almost 7 months. Yes, it does suck to still be dealing with acne after all these years. I mean, am I going to have acne when I'm 50? 60? 70? I keep thinking it has to stop sometime, right? Yet I am the only one in my family who has had "adult acne" so there's just no telling!

Hang in there and good luck with your treatment!

Hi Willow, I'm 37 and have been on spiro for the past 6, almost 7 months. Yes, it does suck to still be dealing with acne after all these years. I mean, am I going to have acne when I'm 50? 60? 70? I keep thinking it has to stop sometime, right? Yet I am the only one in my family who has had "adult acne" so there's just no telling!

Hang in there and good luck with your treatment!

Hi Willow, I have been on retin-a for about a year and continued to break out until I added Spiro. I'm happy to say I'm pretty much clear; just have some fading scars. BTW I'm 34 and have adult-onset acne. I too tried retin-a micro gel; went back to the cream form. You have to be careful with those cream formulations though because they are mostly made for anti-aging purposes and not for acne prone skin like RAM is. They can contain ingredients which may cause acne. I buy mine from the SKINRN who posts on this site. Her website is myheavenlyskin.com; you can contact her there. She has it compounded through a pharmacy with only acne-friendly ingredients in a cream formulation. I also order the Obagi Blender cream to mix in with it as it helps retin-a penetrate better and is great for anti-aging as well as acne. She can advise you whether or not you need it by emailing her. For me, it took about 12-13 weeks to get thru the initial breakout, but then I never completely cleared up with only retin-a.

Hi Willow, I have been on retin-a for about a year and continued to break out until I added Spiro. I'm happy to say I'm pretty much clear; just have some fading scars. BTW I'm 34 and have adult-onset acne. I too tried retin-a micro gel; went back to the cream form. You have to be careful with those cream formulations though because they are mostly made for anti-aging purposes and not for acne prone skin like RAM is. They can contain ingredients which may cause acne. I buy mine from the SKINRN who posts on this site. Her website is myheavenlyskin.com; you can contact her there. She has it compounded through a pharmacy with only acne-friendly ingredients in a cream formulation. I also order the Obagi Blender cream to mix in with it as it helps retin-a penetrate better and is great for anti-aging as well as acne. She can advise you whether or not you need it by emailing her. For me, it took about 12-13 weeks to get thru the initial breakout, but then I never completely cleared up with only retin-a.

Hi Willow,

I understand how you feel. There were days when I couldn't leave my house and ended up skipping work because my skin was so awful. Now, most days I don't even bother with makeup because although my skin is not 100% clear due to the PIH marks, they are fading. I don't feel like people are staring at me because of my skin any more. I would condsider switching retin-a creams if your cream contains isopropyl myristate which aggravates acne. You can do a search of this ingredient to find out more info. I believe the SkinRN ships to Canada, but you would need to contact her for sure.

Hi,

I'm new to the boards and I just wanted to say that I'm hopeful about spiro. I'm 41 and have had to deal with acne for over 15 years and nothing has worked. I understand the pain acne can cause someone. It has been 3 years since I visited the Dermatolgist because I had simply given up. Then I found these msg boards and I have read great success stories that I made an appointment with a new doctor and today I took my first pill of 50mg spiro and he also started me on antibiotics. I had to get blood work first. I hope it works for, goodluck to everyone. Thanks

I took my first pill of 50mg spiro and he also started me on antibiotics.

Are you taking 50 mg once daily or twice? I haven't seen much success on the boards with just 50 mg once daily, but everyone's different. The antibiotic should be helpful while waiting for the Spiro to kick into gear. Good luck :)

I'll add my two cents:

I'm 44 years old and have had moderate acne since I was 13. My history includes most of what's available: antibiotics (both topical and ingested), Retin A, 4 rounds of accutane and several 70% glycolic acid peels.

I had complete clearing with accutane, but the acne and oiliness would eventually come back within a couple of years.. I never had deep, cystic acne, just 3-4 small bumps per day. I always had some healing and some emerging acne with occasional bouts of clarity after a peel, or sun exposure.

My acne did get worse (increased oil and # spots) around my period, but was still "moderate".

Having said all that, I'm really encouraged by spironolactone. I saw reduction in oil production almost immediately, but have only recently had completely clear skin. I started six months ago @ 75mg/day and increased dosage to 100 mg/day two weeks ago. My skin now looks virtually clear. I still have a few tiny blackheads on my nose, but no blemishes anywhere. I'm also on minocyclin and using tazorac every other night to keep pores clear. During the day, I use 2.5% benzoyl peroxide.

This drug seems to produce results similar to accutane but takes MUCH longer for full results. For women over 30 with chronic mild to moderate acne, this drug looks like the ticket. Good luck! We're definitely too old to still be dealing with this!!!

I'll add my two cents:

I'm 44 years old and have had moderate acne since I was 13. My history includes most of what's available: antibiotics (both topical and ingested), Retin A, 4 rounds of accutane and several 70% glycolic acid peels.

I had complete clearing with accutane, but the acne and oiliness would eventually come back within a couple of years.. I never had deep, cystic acne, just 3-4 small bumps per day. I always had some healing and some emerging acne with occasional bouts of clarity after a peel, or sun exposure.

My acne did get worse (increased oil and # spots) around my period, but was still "moderate".

Having said all that, I'm really encouraged by spironolactone. I saw reduction in oil production almost immediately, but have only recently had completely clear skin. I started six months ago @ 75mg/day and increased dosage to 100 mg/day two weeks ago. My skin now looks virtually clear. I still have a few tiny blackheads on my nose, but no blemishes anywhere. I'm also on minocyclin and using tazorac every other night to keep pores clear. During the day, I use 2.5% benzoyl peroxide.

This drug seems to produce results similar to accutane but takes MUCH longer for full results. For women over 30 with chronic mild to moderate acne, this drug looks like the ticket. Good luck! We're definitely too old to still be dealing with this!!!

I'm responding to the question about "how long I anticipate being on Spiro". From the studies I've read, this is a chronic disease and spiro is a maintenance drug. After menopause, MAYBE acne will improve. In all likelihood, you need to continue taking spiro to keep the acne at bay. You are either born with malfunctioning or extremely sensitive testosterone receptors and/or the cellular machinery that produces excess testosterone. This drug can block that abnormal activity, not eliminate it.

Having said that, taking a couple of pills each day to control a socially devastating illness is a small price to pay for me.

I'm taking 150 mg of spiro daily for about nine months now and I still break out around my period. Definitely way better than before.

I'm back using tazorac 0.1% cream about once a week. I'm hoping to slowly build up to more than that, but last time I broke out really badly from it. So far, not too bad.

Hi, I'm 37 and have been using spiro and retin A micro for about 8 months. I had a bad initial outbreak, but got clear by the 3rd and 4th month. My face is still so smooth and soft. My hair is never oily. When I touch my face, its like a different person. It used to hurt, it was rough and oily. I love my skin and would recommend the use of both retin A and spiro. I take 150 mg each night.

I'm 42 and currently using both, but for hirsutism and scarring, not acne. My skin was already clear from diet when I got the spiro prescribed.

I was prescribed 100 mgs over a year ago, but never took it regularly because of the dehydration. But my doctor said the diuretic effect goes away, so I decided to try it again, and cut the pills in pieces and worked my way up to 100 a couple of months ago . It's definitely slowed the growth of some unwanted hair. I think I might cut back to 50mgs again to see if that's enough.

I find it strange that people say it takes months to have an impact. I can take 1 100 mgs pill and in that very day it makes a huge difference in how oily my hair gets. I would think it would help people's acne very quickly with a difference in oil output like that. If oil is the problem, that is, and if it's not the problem, then I don't see how spiro would help. If I take less than 100, there isn't a noticeable effect.

i am 39 and just started spiro at 100 mg daily. i do not use the retin cream stuff you mention cos that disagrees with my skin. i like skinoren-that seems to be helping. glytone has a sulfur/resorcinol lotion that is very good, too.