Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smc0617

gluten free foods

i went grocery shopping yesterday and found a lot of great foods. i took some of your suggestions and bought a little of this and a little of that. i think i'm really becoming a health nut or something. i bought all kinds of fruits and veggies. i picked up an eggplant. any suggestions on how to prepare it? i picked up summer squash, zuccini, pears, apples, bananas, green peppers.

i found some gluten free pasta which i'm anxious to try. i also found some great looking side dishes that are gluten free and gluten free waffles. yum. i bought some oregon trail chai and teccino brand hot cocoa...i bought the caffeine free coffee the other day and love it. i also bought a couple boxes of nature pharmaticals tea...dandelion and everyday detox.

if anyone has any suggestions on how to prepare some great dinners please let me know. i'm always open to suggestions. hope to hear from you.

Just be very careful with the amount of salt & sugar in the gluten free products - the ones i used to buy contained about 20% of your daily recommended salt allowance in 1 individual item (cobs & crumpets). The ones that were low in salt were high in sugar.

When i was gluten free i didn't really make that many meals - as most sauces and extra's contain gluten/dairy. The uk coeliacs site has some recipes and other hints in making your own meals

Recipe of the month

My favourite thing for the last few months has been oat pancakes

100g of organic cottage cheese

50g oats (you can get some gluten free oats from here)

1 large organic egg (whole)

4 large organic egg (whites)

1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon

couple of drops of vanilla extract

blend the oats into powder first, then throw everything in and blend it up. I use a tiny bit of coconut oil to fry them in and then i have a small bit of organic pure lemon juice on it to give it some flavour (you could try atkins maple syrup too). Makes 2 medium sized pancakes that taste look & smell pretty much like normal pancakes, but are high in protein! I use large organic eggs because organic ones are smaller than non organic ones - something todo with feed & hormones i bet.

Just be very careful with the amount of salt & sugar in the gluten free products - the ones i used to buy contained about 20% of your daily recommended salt allowance in 1 individual item (cobs & crumpets). The ones that were low in salt were high in sugar.

When i was gluten free i didn't really make that many meals - as most sauces and extra's contain gluten/dairy. The uk coeliacs site has some recipes and other hints in making your own meals

Recipe of the month

My favourite thing for the last few months has been oat pancakes

100g of organic cottage cheese

50g oats (you can get some gluten free oats from here)

1 large organic egg (whole)

4 large organic egg (whites)

1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon

couple of drops of vanilla extract

blend the oats into powder first, then throw everything in and blend it up. I use a tiny bit of coconut oil to fry them in and then i have a small bit of organic pure lemon juice on it to give it some flavour (you could try atkins maple syrup too). Makes 2 medium sized pancakes that taste look & smell pretty much like normal pancakes, but are high in protein! I use large organic eggs because organic ones are smaller than non organic ones - something todo with feed & hormones i bet.

I cannot really give you advice about the other stuff but bananas break me out. I know everyone is different but I get lots of painful pimples if I eat bananas. I break out almost instantly, same with dairy

thanks for the reply. can someone explain to me exactly how wheat effects acne? What does the gluten do?

I personally found all those gluten free pastas and breads to break me out just as badly as regular wheat-based products. they are still like pure, simple starches, just look at the ingredients. Just sharing my experience. if it works for you, awesome! i wish i could still eat pasta and breads. thats like all i lived off for about 2 years, granted my skin has horrendous