Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I noticed I haven't ever really had acne until after I became a vegetarian. Its been about 4 yrs now and I remember my acne started about a year after going vegetarian. It started as just a few pimples, then it progressed into worse and worse acne and hasn't gotten better since. Now I have little zits everywhere and tons of bumps and blackheads and red mark scars. I eat soy so could this be a major problem? I've tried stopping the vitamin/pill supplements I was taking as I thought I could of been allergic to one of them, but apparently they don't make any difference whether I take them or not. So I guess my next test is to stop the soy foods like veggie burgers, patties, nuggets, meatballs etc. And see if it makes any difference.

Is anyone else a vegetarian or does anyone have some insight for me? Thank you

For what reasons are you not eating meat?

Is it for ethical/religious purposes? Or health reasons?

I only ask because many people have gotten clear from significantly increasing the amount of meats and vegetables (which I am hoping is a staple in your diet!).

I noticed I haven't ever really had acne until after I became a vegetarian. Its been about 4 yrs now and I remember my acne started about a year after going vegetarian. It started as just a few pimples, then it progressed into worse and worse acne and hasn't gotten better since. Now I have little zits everywhere and tons of bumps and blackheads and red mark scars. I eat soy so could this be a major problem? I've tried stopping the vitamin/pill supplements I was taking as I thought I could of been allergic to one of them, but apparently they don't make any difference whether I take them or not. So I guess my next test is to stop the soy foods like veggie burgers, patties, nuggets, meatballs etc. And see if it makes any difference.

Is anyone else a vegetarian or does anyone have some insight for me? Thank you

It's the soy....Please see these the websites to see why it is so bad to eat processed soy foods. It's probably messing with your hormones and you might have an actual allergy to soy.

Most comprehensive and extensive website dealing with the dangers of soy: http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/index.html

Soy Milk is Unhealthy

http://www.mercola.com/2006/dec/14/soy-milk-is-unhealthy.htm

Soy Myth Exposed: Soy is Not a Health Food

http://www.mercola.com/2005/feb/26/soy_myths.htm

Soy Dangers Summarized

• High levels of phytic acid in soy reduce assimilation of calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and zinc. Phytic acid in soy is not neutralized by ordinary preparation methods such as soaking, sprouting and long, slow cooking. High phytate diets have caused growth problems in children.
  • Trypsin inhibitors in soy interfere with protein digestion and may cause pancreatic disorders. In test animals soy containing trypsin inhibitors caused stunted growth.
  • Soy phytoestrogens disrupt endocrine function and have the potential to cause infertility and to promote breast cancer in adult women.
  • Soy phytoestrogens are potent antithyroid agents that cause hypothyroidism and may cause thyroid cancer. In infants, consumption of soy formula has been linked to autoimmune thyroid disease.
  • Vitamin B12 analogs in soy are not absorbed and actually increase the body's requirement for B12.
  • Soy foods increase the body's requirement for vitamin D.
  • Fragile proteins are denatured during high temperature processing to make soy protein isolate and textured vegetable protein.
  • Processing of soy protein results in the formation of toxic lysinoalanine and highly carcinogenic nitrosamines.
  • Free glutamic acid or MSG, a potent neurotoxin, is formed during soy food processing and additional amounts are added to many soy foods.
  • Soy foods contain high levels of aluminum which is toxic to the nervous system and the kidneys.

thanks for the replies everyone..Kurlz I think you are right..I haven't eaten any soy for about 2 days now, yet I haven't necessarily been eating as healthy as I was when I was still eating the soy, and my skin actually hasn't broken out much. I got maybe 2 new zits today and that was it..nothing compared to how it usually is. I woke up and my skin looked fresh this morning..usually it gets oily as the day passes but not today.

I have been doing everything to stop acne for so long and now I think I might be coming on to something..maybe I am really allergic to soy or it just isn't good for me and my skin.

It hasn't been long enough to know for sure if being without the soy makes a significant difference..but I hope it does because I am soo tired of and I've tried everything under the sun to clear my skin already. maybe this will be a breakthru for me :surprised:

anyway thank you for the links, I had no idea soy was so bad. is there anything in particular I should try eating to replace the protein? the only thing I can think of for protein is eating eggs or nuts/lentils..but I bet theres something bad in those too.

I've been a vegetarian most of me life and I have acne. However, this is a pretty recent thing. All through my teens I had fantastic skin and I used to be a model. Unfortunately those days are gone! I don't believe eating meat will necessarily solve your problems. Take a look at your diet and definitely increase the fruit and vegetables you eat. I believe there a good vegetarian diets and bad ones just as there are good and bad meat-eating diets. Are there any other reasons you can think of that could have caused your acne? To be honest, I don't think you can always pinpoint what causes it anyway. I think either you get it or you don't and you just have to work with it! Good luck. Sorry this is a rubbish reply, but I'm tired :)

Also, I just want to say you hear bad things about nearly all foods. And everyone is different. You need to find what works for you.

Eating more meat as opposed to grains will help your acne. It's worked for me and many others on the forum. Eggs are a very high quality protein source. And soy is bad for you.

I never really understood vegetarians wanting to eat fake "meat" products (ex. soy burgers). Anyway all of that sort of food is highly processed. Try to eat foods that are at their most natural state possible. I have a chart (from a nutrition class I took) that explains how vegetarians should combine their food to get a complete protein. I'll dig it up and if you want I could email to you.

BTW, I recently cut soy milk out of my diet and I'm noticing that I'm not as oily either. Yay! I'm praying it helps with my acne as well. I was drinking about two large glasses a day and having soy lattes 1-2 times a week. No more though.

Well the reason I ate the veggie processed soy foods was cause they just taste so good. & I was under the impression that they were healthy. I didn't really like them at first, but I forced myself to eat them because they have protein in them. Then I actually started to like them a lot and ate them everyday. But now I realize that what I thought was helping my skin may have been the problem all along.

It's been maybe since tuesday or wednesday that I haven't eaten soy, and my skin is clearing already. It's not as oily and itchy anymore. I still have red marks and bumps leftover, but apparently no new breakouts. I haven't even really been eating all that healthy either. I didn't eat any fruit or veggies the other day, just pasta and some junk (i was too busy to make anything healthy to eat) and usually after eating junk like that combined with the soy foods, it would cause a huge breakout a day after. Well the day after I didn't even get any new zits on my face. And today my skin feels fresh and clean after only splashing it with water once this morning..no oilyness or irritation! I did wake up with some small zits on my chin this morning but I am not too surprised because I haven't been eating the healthiest diet this week.

So maybe if I just cut out the soy and take the time to eat more fruits, veggies, and less junk, I may be able to restore my skin. I hope so at least!

It may have to do with the tendency of vegetarians to overdo the carbs. I've posted many times about my personal experience with vegetarianism and acne. Search my posts if you're interested.

It may have to do with the tendency of vegetarians to overdo the carbs. I've posted many times about my personal experience with vegetarianism and acne. Search my posts if you're interested.

Speaking of soy, can the soy that makes up a softgel (such as fish oil softgels) have any effect? Like taking 6 softgels a day? or the amount of soy mixed in it are too low to cause a problem? thanks!

Speaking of soy, can the soy that makes up a softgel (such as fish oil softgels) have any effect? Like taking 6 softgels a day? or the amount of soy mixed in it are too low to cause a problem? thanks!

Even with such a small amount?? oh no... :wall:

Cant find a fish oil in liquid form in our country and online is not an option for me.

bummer... :doh:

The problem is my face gets a little itchy about an hour later after taking fish oil supps. Now I know that the fish oil itself doesn't cause that coz Im not allergic to fish. Right now Im thinking it might be the soy that's making me itch. Have any idea how much grams of soy Im getting with those softgel supplements? (like 6 of those).

I'd probably lay off the supplements then. Itchy face is not good thing. Maybe you could get an allergy test for soy from you doctor?? Is that a possibility?

That's a good idea! I'll have my allergies tested ASAP and might even ask them to try fish just to double check Im not allergic to it. :D

ok, so its been about 2 weeks or so of not eating soy, and i'm back to the itchy redness and breaking out everywhere. i thought they soy may have made a difference during the first 3 days, because there was a significant change in my skin, but now its back to normal again and i have zits all over. my next test is going to be stopping dairy. its going to be much harder to completely avoid dairy, since it is in basically everything. but i've never tried avoiding it before and both my sister and brother are allergic to milk and dairy so maybe I am also.

i wish i could get allergy tested too! but my doctor is such a ditz and will never refer me to get allergy tests because she thinks it has nothing to do with acne. right!