Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I was inside GNC today trying to buy Omega 3s. I've read the FAQ, but damn, this clerk (who had to be in his 30s) kept telling me that it'd make it worse because it's oil based. At first, I wanted to call him a douchebag since his skin was crystal clear. Needless to say, I didn't. Instead, I ignored every word he said and bought them anyway. And now for some dumb reason it's stuck in my head. He was pretty much talking out of his ass, right?

well, i took omegas and they broke me out big time, then i tried flax seed oil and i broke out even worse....so for me they suck!

Supplemental oils are often rancid, because most supplemental oils are omega-3 fatty acids, which are polyunsaturated, and are easily oxidized. I think people who suffered from additional omega-3 probably picked up spoiled oils. Buy them refridgerated, and check the PRODUCTION date (not expiration), to get the freshest possible. Though the expiration may be up to 2 months after pressing, I would not keep any commercially produced polyunsaturated oil for longer than a week after production.

well..omega 3s and any kind of oils can have a negative effect if they aren't a good brand and if they arent properly refrigerated and kept from the sunlight or oxygen. its really hard to tell whats a good brand and what isnt. so I just don't even bother with all that stuff. its too confusing and I wouldn't want to waste money on a bottle of omega 3 supplements if they are spoiled anyway. if you eat meat, I think you can also get omega 3s if you eat some fish like the fresh organic kind, salmon is supposed to be good

Trust me, some people (me included) just break out from excess omega 3's. I am very health concious so I get some from grass fed chicken, eggs, blackberries, hempseed etc. BUT, everytime I take any extra fish oil, clo, flaxseed etc I break out after a few days to a week and it clears when i stop. I have twinlabs clo which i take once in a while, and can tell its not rancid (by the taste).

Btw, if you wanna c more proof go to makeupalley.com and look at the reviews for omega 3. That should prove that although very beneficial for many, EXTRA omega 3 can also do more harm than good.

And if you eat thing like grass-fed free-range meat and fruits and veggies, they have much more omega 3's and less omega 6's and arachidonic acid than everyday grain-fed junk

Well damn, now I feel like an idiot after reading all these in-depth posts. I walked in and picked up these off the shelf. It says "ensured purity and freshness" on the bottle. :rolleyes:

Honnestly if you want to take omega-3s be prepared to spend some money. Cod Liver Oil is IMO a better source than just "fish oil" and also, you'll want to invest in a high-quality brand that tests for PCB's, heavy metals and other environmental contaminants, because some people have broken out from these.

Off the top of my head one brand is Nordic Naturals (expensive but if you really want to take omega-3s, quality-assured, 3rd party tested ones are the way to go).

Beware of the A in cod liver oil - it's not the same as fish body oil, in fact it has very little O3, relatively speaking.

GNC employees seem to be rather notoriously under-educated (my apologies if you are one, by reading this thread your more versed than any I've met).

He's probably basing his opinion on the old myth oil=acne, which is topically based anyway, and again - a myth. If he's not referring to that one then he's no doubt recalling the greasy foods i.e. pizza, which is usually because of dairy or enormously out of balance omega 6's anyway.

The first few weeks I did break out more - by my skin tone and texture looked better than they had in years, so I persevered. Within a month I had almost entirely cleared. I adjusted my diet - stopped all inclusions on msg, corn syrup/high fructose corn syrup, vegetable oils (all except flax, olive and coconut - which are fruit and grain anyway). I now only eat grass fed beef, free range/nesting chicken etc.

No dairy because I don't like it, except half n half in my coffee, I'd rather lose a limb than give up my joe. No, really.

Anyway, lol, sorry for the book - I've been deprived of the org the last few days :crazy:

Best of luck!!

Beware of the A in cod liver oil - it's not the same as fish body oil, in fact it has very little O3, relatively speaking.

GNC employees seem to be rather notoriously under-educated (my apologies if you are one, by reading this thread your more versed than any I've met).

He's probably basing his opinion on the old myth oil=acne, which is topically based anyway, and again - a myth. If he's not referring to that one then he's no doubt recalling the greasy foods i.e. pizza, which is usually because of dairy or enormously out of balance omega 6's anyway.

The first few weeks I did break out more - by my skin tone and texture looked better than they had in years, so I persevered. Within a month I had almost entirely cleared. I adjusted my diet - stopped all inclusions on msg, corn syrup/high fructose corn syrup, vegetable oils (all except flax, olive and coconut - which are fruit and grain anyway). I now only eat grass fed beef, free range/nesting chicken etc.

No dairy because I don't like it, except half n half in my coffee, I'd rather lose a limb than give up my joe. No, really.

Anyway, lol, sorry for the book - I've been deprived of the org the last few days :crazy:

Best of luck!!

I meant mega-dosing, yes. Just in case ppl tried to get a sufficient amount of O3's from cod liver - for the A supplementation I think it would be your best bet. :D

it's true, fish oils and the like can and do break out about 50% of the people that try them, myself included. I learnt that lesson years ago.

it's true, fish oils and the like can and do break out about 50% of the people that try them, myself included. I learnt that lesson years ago.