Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Domer97

Spironolactone at 2 months

I went to the derm today after the second month of spiro. I was on 50 mg the first month and then 100 mg the second month. I had an extremely BAD IB that I am still recovering from. Unfortunately it's left tons of red marks around my chin and along my jawline, as well as on my cheeks. However, it seems like I'm getting fewer zits now and they appear to go away a little faster than before. The derm said she thought I looked 40% improved and gave me another prescription for 100 mg for two more months. She also wants to switch me from Differin .3% to Tazorac. I'm a little nervous that I'll break out again but she was aghast at the amount of oil my skin produces and said this should help.

I know there were a few people here who started around the same time I did (back in Nov.). How are other people doing two months into their treatment? Hopefully we're all starting to see some positive progress. I'm still really self-conscious about my skin but I'm looking forward to the next few months to see what happens.

Hi. I am just starting my 2nd month on Spiro & have seen some improvements, as well. Less cysts, shorter healing time when I do get zits. I am taking 50 mg/day right now, and go back to the derm in 2 weeks to evaluate.

Hope you see continued improvement!

I'm in my 3rd month of 100mg of spiro (started out at 100mg) and pretty much clear, have some drying pimples and PIH. I didn't really have an IB and I think it's because my derm gave me antibiotics for the first 2 months. I was also on retin-a for a long time before starting spiro. But hang in there! I have seen consistent improvement every week that goes by. The only problem is now I have drier skin and have to moisturize really well.

My skin was actually really clear for the last few weeks (except for those pesky red marks) and now all of a sudden, I've got about seven new huge whiteheads on the right side of my face. What is going on?? I know it'll be a constant back-and-forth, and the doctor told me I'd never be 100% clear, but I was so excited. Now I'm bummed. Plus, my parents are here for the weekend and they probably don't believe me when I tell them that my face was actually clearing up a bit.

Yep, after seeing steady improvement for the first few weeks, I am now having a bad breakout- 1 big cyst, lots of smaller spots too. So frustrating! I went back yesterday for my 6 week check-up & the derm said for me to stay on the 50mg/day for another 2 months & then we'd re-evaluate. She also added Duac cream for night (I use Ziana in the am). I hope this is just that adjustment period several people have mentioned, and that I'll get back on track soon.

Reading all of your experiences during those first 2-3 months reminds me so much of what happened with me. And is even happening now to a far lesser degree.

I've been on spiro for 6-1/2 months and have been clear for the last 3. But for the first time in those last 3 months, I had a really bad cyst last week. It came on very suddenly. But it also healed very quickly. I don't know what spiro has to do with that, if anything. But I sure was grateful because from the looks of it at first, I thought it was going to be one of those buggers that would takes 2+ weeks to heal but now it's totally gone in just a few days.

I was also expecting more zits after that last whopper but it's been almost a week and so far, so good. No new nothing! I'm going to chalk this up for now as an isolated incident and hope another 3 months passes without any more breakouts.

Hang in there! I believe you will start to see more consistent improvement as the weeks go by. Just curious: Have you noticed whether or not your pimples seem to be healing quicker than before spiro?

I think mine are healing faster- the huge cyst that emerged on Saturday is healing now, although I picked it until it scabbed. :( Bad me, now I have a big peely mess.

I have noticed a change in the type of breakouts- smaller, more of a rash-like breakout instead of fewer, larger ones that I used to get.

Omg I went off spiro about four days ago I think it was. My face has been red, itchy, inflamed, rash like. I hope that wasnt a spiro initial break out.

I do actually think my breakouts seem to go away a little faster than before. It definitely helps that I've made a conscious effort not to pick at my skin.

Oh, one more thing- I know a lot of people have said that they don't get their period anymore. I, for some strange reason, have had the exact opposite problem. Ever since I've been on the spiro, I've had my period every single freaking day. Fortunately it's usually not that bad (i.e., I just need to wear a liner on most days) but it's still quite weird. I don't take birth control pills, and maybe I just have extremely jacked up hormones- who knows?! The sad thing is that I'd totally be willing to have an indefinite period if it meant clearer skin.