Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chococat123

Homemade Moisturizer - Glycerin and water?

So I read in various forums that ppl make their own moisturizer of mixing pure glycerin and water. Has anyone tried this and does it really work?

Also, will glycerin excacerbate acne?

Thanks!

i have been doing this very mix for a couple of weeks now and it is fabulous! i no longer need to use moisturizer...and NO it doesnt make acne worse..its non comedogenic ....i truly recommend it...i began using it only in the morning but now i use it both at night and in the am. the thing about glycerin is that it has water binding properties or something...btw most moisturizers have glycerin as a main ingredient...

i have been doing this very mix for a couple of weeks now and it is fabulous! i no longer need to use moisturizer...and NO it doesnt make acne worse..its non comedogenic ....i truly recommend it...i began using it only in the morning but now i use it both at night and in the am. the thing about glycerin is that it has water binding properties or something...btw most moisturizers have glycerin as a main ingredient...

Hmm... I read this on MUA and wondered how well it worked on acne-prone skin. Nice to know that it's good on yours. :)

If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions...

Are you using vegetable or animal derived glycerin?

What skin type do you have (oily, combo, dry?)?

Do you dilute it with water, if so, what ratio of glycerin to water do you find is best?

Sorry if I asked too many questions. You don't have to answer if you don't want to. :)

Hmm... I read this on MUA and wondered how well it worked on acne-prone skin. Nice to know that it's good on yours. :)

If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions...

Are you using vegetable or animal derived glycerin?

What skin type do you have (oily, combo, dry?)?

Do you dilute it with water, if so, what ratio of glycerin to water do you find is best?

Sorry if I asked too many questions. You don't have to answer if you don't want to. :)

of course i will answer them all!!

im not sure what kind of glycerin it is exactly..hmmmmm didnt know there were different ones...

my skin is super duper oily..but can get pretty dried out from acne meds..i have been using benzamycin which is also fab except it leaves my skin super tight...so in the morning i wash with my aveeno ultra calming wash then apply the glycerin and then a super light layer of benzamycin..works like a charm..no need for moisturizer afterwards cuz my skin is hydrated and supple! i luv having the security that glycerin will not break me out! cuz even the so called non comedogenic moiturizers that i have brought in the past, i.e. purpose, cetaphil, clinique ddmg, etc.. are chock full of ingredients that were indeed comedogenic or at least irritating to my sensitive skin...

when i dilute it with water i use one drop of glycerin smaller than a dime..and about 4-5 drops of water..i just swish it in the palm of my hand and pat/rub it on my face (gently) its goin to feel like ur just applyng water but your not! if your face feels a lil sticky thats fine but maybe you might wanna use more water next time..and also there may be a slight warming sensation..its great..you'll love it!

of course i will answer them all!!

im not sure what kind of glycerin it is exactly..hmmmmm didnt know there were different ones...

my skin is super duper oily..but can get pretty dried out from acne meds..i have been using benzamycin which is also fab except it leaves my skin super tight...so in the morning i wash with my aveeno ultra calming wash then apply the glycerin and then a super light layer of benzamycin..works like a charm..no need for moisturizer afterwards cuz my skin is hydrated and supple! i luv having the security that glycerin will not break me out! cuz even the so called non comedogenic moiturizers that i have brought in the past, i.e. purpose, cetaphil, clinique ddmg, etc.. are chock full of ingredients that were indeed comedogenic or at least irritating to my sensitive skin...

when i dilute it with water i use one drop of glycerin smaller than a dime..and about 4-5 drops of water..i just swish it in the palm of my hand and pat/rub it on my face (gently) its goin to feel like ur just applyng water but your not! if your face feels a lil sticky thats fine but maybe you might wanna use more water next time..and also there may be a slight warming sensation..its great..you'll love it!

Thank you SO MUCH! I will definitely try this out. :wub:

I use vegetable glycerin from the Heritage Health and Rosewater also from Heritage Health. I mix 3-4 parts water with 1 part glycerin. Works very well, adjust ratio to suit your needs. You can use plain distilled water too, or even aloe.

It seems like most people mix it with water, so it becomes watery. I use Retin-A at night. Do you think the wateriness will counteract my Retin-A? That's what I'm afraid of.

Thanks

This sounds interesting. It reminds me of the time I bought pure vegetable glycerin soap with aloe and 1/3 humectants from Michaels for a biology project... (It turned out great, by the way!) If you're having such great results from this glycerin moisturizer, you could probably have success making your own cleanser, too! You could add tea tree oil to it or something to make it even better.

It seems like most people mix it with water, so it becomes watery. I use Retin-A at night. Do you think the wateriness will counteract my Retin-A? That's what I'm afraid of.

Thanks

well i use tazorac and i figured the same thing so at night what i do now is that after i shower i put the glycerin and water mix let it dry and then i put on my tazorac...if anything it helps with the absorption of the tazzy..you should try it that way! keep us posted..

well u should try it anyway....i mean what have u got to lose? worst case scenario u can put a light moisturizer over it...or even mix a drop or two in ur favorite moisturizer it will help it work better for u...i just like that its plain old glycerin and not full of other fillers and stuff that will most likely clog my pores...

Does anyone else have a problem with the glycerin feeling really sticky afterwards? I have pure vegetable glycerin and mixed with quite a bit of water and applied a thin layer but it never seemed to fully absorb. My face felt really sticky/tacky for a long time. I did find it effective to mix with the dissolved aspirin for an aspirin mask because I washed it off afterwards so it didn't life the sticky film.

ur using too much glycerin or too little water...use one drop of glycering for every 5-10 drops of water...see which ratio works best for u.. :)

I use "clearly natural" aloe vera glycerin soap...and the vitamin e one too

I bought veggie based glycerin and mixed it with water, small amounts of apricot/vitmin e oil, jojoba oil, some aloe vera (try to find the purest, not all 100% are free of crap) so far jason's 98% and fruit of the earth's (clear) has done well. I love it, use it mostly on body and on my face only when its needed...the CN glycerin soap keeps me from getting so dry. Still rubbing the green tea bag on my face 2 times a day and use the honey, green tea, asprin mask/spot treatment 2-3 times a week.