Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deadbeat007

What products kill bacteria like antibiotics?

I've been using Clindamycin 1% lotion for 3 1/2 months, and it's gotten rid of my inflamed acne 100%. Are there any other products out there that I can use long-term (that I won't grow immune to, like I would using antibiotics) that work just as well? I don't need anything heavy duty, as my skin is sensitive.

Is BP the only other product that's effective in killing the bacteria that causes inflamed acne? I'm afraid something like that is too strong for my skin. =/

Azeilic acid like in Fenasia stops bacteria from reproducing and you don't have to worry about them becoming immune.

I tried Finacea last month, but it was waaay too harsh for my skin. =/ I ended up getting lots of whiteheads on my forehead and really red, irritated skin... I'm not sure why I had that reaction. Either my skin is super sensitive (which I'm pretty positive it is), or there was something in Finacea that I was maybe allergic to.

Some people just can't use it... I have super sensitive skin, but mine seems to like Finacia (if I use it thinnly) and Retin-A. :lol: My skin like prescriptions, it seems to HATE over the counter stuff.

Mandelic acid is an AHA that has antibacterial properties. It will help exfoliate and keep your pores from getting clogged, and will also kill bacteria that causes inflamed acne.

Mandelic acid is an AHA that has antibacterial properties. It will help exfoliate and keep your pores from getting clogged, and will also kill bacteria that causes inflamed acne.

Most AHAs are not antibacterial, and work best for blackheads and comedonal acne, not for inflamed acne. Mandelic acid, however, is antibacterial, as well as being an AHA, and it's antibacterial properties are great for inflamed acne. I use Nucelle mandelic acid, which I buy from skincarerx.com, and it is about $35 for 4 oz., and I seem to be using about 1-2 oz a month- so it is kinda pricy for the bottle, but it lasts a long time. Some other brands are MaMa lotion, Vivant mandelic, and Garden of Wisdom mandelic. If you do a search for mandelic acid, I'm sure you'll find information on where to buy these.

Holy crap! How could I forget?! Right now I was my face with dandruff shampoo with has Pyrithian Zinc which is both antifungal and antibacterial.

Holy crap! How could I forget?! Right now I was my face with dandruff shampoo with has Pyrithian Zinc which is both antifungal and antibacterial.

I've been using Clindamycin 1% lotion for 3 1/2 months, and it's gotten rid of my inflamed acne 100%. Are there any other products out there that I can use long-term (that I won't grow immune to, like I would using antibiotics) that work just as well?

Clindamycin is a topical antibiotic. I was only using it for three months for my inflamed acne. I didn't grow immune to it, because it was still fighting my inflamed acne, but I think it started causing all my whiteheads. I never used to get whiteheads before I started Clindamycin. I think, all of a sudden, it just started clogging up my pores like crazy.