Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smc0617

olive oil

i've heard olive oil is excellent for your health and skin. does anyone have any good ideas on how i can implement this more in my daily diet?

It's best to use extra virgin olive oil and to be most beneficial use it uncooked. I like it on salads (noticed your post about salads too!) make a nice dressing with some balsamic vinegar. I also love to mix olive oil and balsamic vinegar and use it as a dip with some really good bread but that's not the most healthy thing ever! Maybe drizzle some on cooked vegetables before serving. Just anything really, go wild!

My mother's from Italy so in our house it was olive oil all day long - when I went to college and moved in with 3 Asian girls I was really surprised that they'd never used it before.

I use it for everything!! I sautee meats and vegetables in it and use it in my salad dressings and pasta sauces. There is nothing it can't do!!!

Potato, broccoli and tomato salad:

cook potatoes, broccoli and tomatoes (microwave will do). Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. amazing!

Pasta sauce:

microwave cut up tomatoes, olive oil, salt and pepper. wonderful!

Tuna and avocado salad:

mash avocado, mix in tuna, beans, olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice. delicious!

Carrot snack:

cut up raw carrots, drizzle with olive oil and salt. Tasty and crunchy!

Sauteed spinach:

heat olive oil and a whole clove of garlic in a pan. When garlic is brown, discard. Wilt fresh spinach. Add salt and pepper if desired.

The possibilities are endless. I will tell you, though, that I eat olive oil every day and my skin is still terrible. Hopefully people without irreparably terrible skin will benefit from olive oil, though.

try spanish xtra virgin olive oil drizzled over some papardelle and shaved black truffle :drool:

Make sure it's expeller or cold pressed. If it doesn't say that on the bottle specifically, it's chemically extracted with hexane. I break out horribly from chemically extracted olive oil, but cold or expeller pressed gives me no problems whatsoever.

http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/hexane.html EPA article on hexane

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexane Wikipedia article on hexane. It's a product of crude oil, and is used as a solvent for glues, rubber and paint. It's highly flammable, and causes nerve damage in rats and humans with long term exposure.

Chemically extracted oils have about 1000ppm of hexane remaining after processing.