Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i'm currently seeing a counselor. i've mentioned to her how my acne interferes with my day to day life. she's really great and is working with me on ways to deal with it. i'm just curious if anyone else has talked with a professional about this and what they found out. ways to help you deal with acne, but still find happiness along the way?

Ugh, I had it all summer, it was totally crap. I said I was depressed 'cause a my

skin but apparently that wasn't a good enough reason for her, kinda blew me off

like skin issues aren't really that bad and that wouldn't be the thing that'd make

me so insular............... :rolleyes:

sounds like your counselor needed a reality check. i wouldn't let her views bother you. my counselor is really great about letting me discuss the way my acne makes me feel. we talk about it openly which really helps me. sorry you had a bad experience...she probably never had to deal with it so has absolutely no idea how it effects someone.

sounds like your counselor needed a reality check. i wouldn't let her views bother you. my counselor is really great about letting me discuss the way my acne makes me feel. we talk about it openly which really helps me. sorry you had a bad experience...she probably never had to deal with it so has absolutely no idea how it effects someone.

During freshmen year (when I started breaking out), my mom, without telling me, made an appointment with my counciler to talk about my acne. I remember being so frustrated that she did this behind my back. I didn't think my counciler really understood my problem, probably because she never really had many zits during her high school years. However, that appointment prompted me to seek out new treatment instead of the crap called proactive I was using at that time.

However, I haven't had actual real-time professional therapy (the one you pay big money for), despite the fact that everyone thinks I'm some kind of crazy, out-there loner who'd truly benefit from seeing a psyhciatrist.

they tried to make me go to a counsellor. But i said no no no.

Lol.

Well, thats kinda true actually. I went to it once, and it was a pile of crap. Exactly like you'd imagine in a movie. Calming music playing in the background, the counsellor going, "if you're scared, it's ok to be scared." And Im like, "whoa, i only said hello to you. Cool it with the psychology shit."

So I didn't go the next session and i told my parents i was happy again and didnt need it. Which i kind of regret now. To be honest. Truth be told. Like the hoosiers song. Except I dont know anyone called Ray. And I dont know whether I should be worried bout him or no.

Personally, I hated it.

But of course, I had no choice in the matter- and the whole ordeal was negative to begin with. I was given the choice to go to therapy, or be kicked out of the house (well, too late for that I guess!). I think if you would actively seek out help under your own terms, in a calm environment, maybe it would turn out better.

I was glad to be able to talk, but my therapist bugged me, simply.

She interjected a little comment here and there between everything I said.

She tried acting like it wasn't my parents fault, due to prior past situations they've been in.

I remember during the last session I went to, she completely ignored everything I told her. I stated being in my school was too much for me, because dealing with emotions and schooling didn't mix that well. What did she do? Ignored that and actually argued with me and my sister during a "conference." The first time I even went there... I never said a word the entire hour. The 4th time I went, she pissed me off, and I went mute.

And to top it off, she specialized in "treating children" and here she is charting out emotions on a piece of paper, with a 16 year old about to smack her in the face with a chair. I brought up my face, maybe once. Talking about how obsessive I can be about my appearance. I received a nod. Thanks!

Personally, people I've never even talked with before, have helped me more than her.

Go figure.

I just went on a rant and totally forgot what I was saying...

Shucks.

I'm too ditzy :(

yeah i started it.. missed it twice so far in the past two weeks. but i felt better afte ri went. only thing is..im not sure the guy really understands that i have so much to say that is bottled up.. and like he just wastes time talking about himself and other patients.. is this normal? he talkes about everything under the unrelated to what im going thru.