Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kethas

No Blood tests?

Well I have been on Accutane for 1 month now, 40 mg dosage a day.

What im curious about is the fact that my doctor did not make me take pre - blood tests, or having me take any at all throughout the course. He told me that they have stopped doing blood tests for patients taking Accutane. Does this sound right, or am I a bit behind on the news?

not to worry :) i dint get the blood test before commencing my accutane program and i haven't had one yet (but im only on day 4)

so not to worry your not alone,

hope this helps a bit

Well I have been on Accutane for 1 month now, 40 mg dosage a day.

What im curious about is the fact that my doctor did not make me take pre - blood tests, or having me take any at all throughout the course. He told me that they have stopped doing blood tests for patients taking Accutane. Does this sound right, or am I a bit behind on the news?

Daughter had a blood and pregnancytests, derma did not wait for the results of the blood tests and started straight on accutane. As far as I know, you must have regular blood tests whilst on accutane at least that what they do here in uk. You should ask your dr next time you visit.

I was given my scripts before my bloods tests were done but I couldnt pick up the accutane until the derm saw the results and went into the iPledge system to do whatever derms do. I think blood tests are pretty important, esp considering how much stress accutane puts on your body, esp your liver. Maybe ask why your derm doesnt consider them necessary and if your really worried, you can just go to a GP and get blood tests every month to make sure eveyrthing is on the up and up.

wow that is extremely dangerous!! I can't believe your derm is allowing that to happen. Go to a different dermatologist immediately. I'm not kidding.

Are you abstinent? Or can you not have kids?

I guess if you have vowed not to have sex, or had surgery done so you can't have kids anymore, I would understand. I was under the impression that if you are a woman that is able to give birth, you must go through the iPledge system. Unless your doctor and the iPledge program communicate to the pharmacy, i didn't know you could get it.

There were two changes to the iPledge program recently, but they definitely weren't cutting out blood tests for accutane patients.

But if you are having sex and aren't having blood tests done by your derm to make sure you are negative than that's very dangerous. If your doctor's not doing pregnancy tests, and you are having sex, it would be responsible to etiher get a new derm or make sure you are using two forms of birth control and test yourself.

I would say get a new doc (or ask your doctor to start taking your blood), because like cityofangels stated, there are other things (liver) in those tests that should be checked for during the treatment.

But then again, I've only been on accutane for 5 days and I definitely haven't gone to medical school..maybe you should get a second opinion from another dcotor since it does sound like you are concerned.