Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pouringRAINA

Raina's Road to Clear Skin *NEW PICS!!! 6/30*

My name is Raina, and I am 17 years old. I have been struggling with acne since I was 9 years old, and after 8 years, its getting really old really quick. I have done it all. Proactive (twice), doxycycline 30mg, 40mg and 150mg, birth control, and just praying to God that He would take it away. As of right now, I am always worrying about my skin. How good my day will be is determined by how many pimples I have on my face. First impressions are everything, and I hate that my first impression on people is that I am the girl with the acne. I should be having fun in these years, and I am, but not as much as I could be having if I didnt have to worry about how my skin looks so much. I have acne on my face, my arms, my shoulders, my back, and my chest. Covering it up is nearly impossible. I didn't realize just how bad it was until I visited a family friend that happened to be a dermatologist, and she told me that my acne was out of control, and that the only thing that was going to work for me would be Accutane. I made an appointment with a new dermatologist, and I will hopefully be put on Accutane by this Wednesday. I have done my homework on the drug, and am fully educated on the symptoms. I have never been more ready to look like crap :surprised: . I think I am just ready to live my life without holding back. I don't want to be the friend with the acne anymore, I want to be the girl who radiates confidence the second she walks into the room. I know I am a pretty girl underneath this cursed skin, but i just want everyone else to see that.

Here are some pictures of me on January 6th 2008:

My full face

Left side of face

Right side of face

(This is posted somewhere else by accident...)

You are beautiful! I wish I had gone on Accutane at your age, you are going to be so glad you did. I feel like it's one of the best decisions I've made for myself. Good luck!

You are very beautiful. Im an 18 year old guy and ill be going on accutane hopefully starting tonight if i can get my perscription filled. My acne is mild but very persistent. I guess ill be making a log too. ill definetely enjoy reading yours...

GOOD LUCK! :D

Thank you everyone. It's great to know that there is a place where we can all tell our stories without being embarrassed.

I went to the dermatologist yesterday. I told him the story we all know by heart, the one we have all come to hate, the i-have-tried-everything-on-the-market-and-nothing-works story. He immediately recommended Accutane. He told me all the information I have already looked up. Heck, I probably could of told him all the info on it. But, I remained silent, acting as if I knew nothing, and I listened eagerly, because I knew that Accutane was going to be the last thing I would ever have to put my faith in, curing my acne once and for all. To make a long story short, I got to take home a mighty thick book about birth control while on Accutane, and I had to take a pregnanct test. I guess swearing you are abstinent isn't a very reliable testamony these days. I am going to the derm on February 6th to get my last NEGATIVE pregnacy test done, and then we have to sign up online with the iPledge program, to promise the government I will use 2 forms of birth control while I'm NOT having sex. Then I have to take a blood test, and then after that I can FINALLY pick up my prescription. I didn't know the process was so painstaking! Among the many things he told me about Accutane, the fact that suprised me the most was when he told me that despite the terrible birth defects the drug causes, 121 girls still[/] got pregnant last year while on it. Isn't that amazingly terrifying?

I have never been more excited in my life. The 6th can't come any quicker!

I have a question. Do guys have to pledge to have protected sex while on Accutane? My parents and I were just talking about it, and we were just wondering if it would cause birth defects in a baby if the father was on Accutane.

Until next time, :dance:

Not that it has anything to do with my face, but I got a new bowling ball and shoes today =] 150, HERE I COME! (that's my bowling goal as of right now...sad, huh?)

19 days until Accutane!

My face is still the same. No better. No worse. But I guess thats what you should expect when you arent taking medication. haha. BUT, My arms have been getting worse. The pores on the top of my arms are getting clogged easier, and for the most part, I always wear a long sleeve shirt because of the red spots. I can't wait until I don't feel self conscious about something silly like that.

Anyways, I hope you all have a fabulous 3 day weekend.

I am actually not on Accutane yet.

The process is going slower than my dermotologist thought it would.

But, I am definitelygoing to the dermo to get the last of my tests done and get the actual prescription THIS WEDNESDAY!

I have never been more excited to have such visible side effects in my life!

I will post pictures of the first day of Accutane sometime next week.

I AM SO EXCITED!

Hello Raina, first let me say your acne isn't "Out of control" It's certainly not under control, but if it were you wouldn't be in these forums, right?

Good luck with your course, you can check out my blog if you feel the need, but I do have some side effects going on so it might be best to stay away.

P.S.

Guys don't have to pledge not to have unprotected sex during Accutane, the booklet says that the sperm of males was not shown to contain (whatever the hell it's called) in it even if the male was taking Accutane. It does, however suggest wearing a condom just in case.

I went to the Dermatologist. It was good.

He was supposed to call me yesterday to let me know that I can pick up my prescription, but he hasn't called yet. I am going to wait until Monday, and then I will call.

But Tuesday was no bueno for me and my acne. I went to my grandma's house, and she started talking about my scars, and how I shouldn't pick at my face. Then she was like "You're going to have those your whole life, and it wouldn't even matter that your acne was gone." And then she said some other things about me being fat (which I am definitely not), and then she randomly started talking about how I need to marry a man with money. I finally just had to leave because she was breaking me down so bad. Usually I am confident, but she was determined to change that. ONE MORE REASON TO BE EXCITED ABOUT ACCUTANE!

Now, I just wait until that phone call, and I will be on my way to being home free!

Your grandma sounds like quite a loving individual.

Scars aren't necessarily permanent, you can have punch treatments and the like which are relatively inexpensive.

Btw, sorry if this is pig-ish, but you are pretty hot.

~Bob

I went to my grandma's house, and she started talking about my scars, and how I shouldn't pick at my face. Then she was like "You're going to have those your whole life, and it wouldn't even matter that your acne was gone." And then she said some other things about me being fat (which I am definitely not), and then she randomly started talking about how I need to marry a man with money. I finally just had to leave because she was breaking me down so bad. Usually I am confident, but she was determined to change that. ONE MORE REASON TO BE EXCITED ABOUT ACCUTANE!

Hello Raina.

I hope accutane works out good for you. I just started on day 1 of accutane today. I'll be looking forward reading your logs, since we'll be at the same pace.

Thank you for all of the encouragement everyone! I will be excited to see how everyone elses Accutane treatment goes as well!

GOOD NEWS: Got the call from the dermatologist today that said I can pick up my prescription!

BAD NEWS: Today the insurance company called and said our insurance was canceled.

My step dad has been on medical leave from work for a year. Our insurance hasn't been a problem since apparently now. He was supposed to go in for gastric bypass surgery tomorrow, but the insurance company called and said our insurance was canceled as of the 29th of February. We never got any notice or anything. Now, I am wondering if they will be able to sort out this miscommunication by tomorrow so my stepdad's surgery goes as planned. Not only that, but I only have until Sunday to pick up my Accutane prescription! Hopefully all of this gets sorted out by then.

I'll let you all know what happens.

All the insurance stuff is no longer a problem. My step dad had his surgery and he is at home and is doing great. HALLELUJAH!

Not to mention that when I went to pick up my accutane, it was only 5 bucks. THAT'S A DEAL RIGHT THERE!

I took my first two pills today. That's 80mg in the system. It's a bittersweet feeling.

Some more great news: I found an accutane buddy! John, the brother of one of my best friends, is also on accutane. His acne is more severe than mine is, but the pointers on products and what to expect is extremely helpful, especially since I can talk to him in real life!

I won't post new pictures for a while only because I look just about the same as I did back in January...except my hair is longer.

Congratulations I bet your well pleased that you’re finally on Accutane. I wish you all the best and I hope it's a smooth ride for you. I'll be checking your log to see how your getting on.

Char x

Day Three

Yesterday I had some gnarly side effects. I ran some errands with my parents, came home, and I was crazy tired. You know when you're sick and you can't move quickly because you have absolutely NO energy? That was me yesterday. I took a 2 hour nap and it fixed the problem, but my goodness! My lips aren't really chapped yet, they just soak up my chapstick quicker than usual. Other than that, 200 mg down!

The last couple of days have been VERY uncomfortable. My skin started to get super dry. I can't go two minutes without putting on chapstick. and I have sores in my mouth from my braces because I keep rubbing my lips together and my cheeks get cut. My lips are never really chapped, they just feel dry. They look fine, but they feel terrible. Not only that, but the rim of my lips is really painful. I put ointment on it when I'm home. We have yet to purchase the miraculous Aquaphor, so I am making due with what I have. Oh, and my nose is getting dry too.

Yay Accutane. haha.

Does it get easier to withstand the symptoms as time passes?

Yes, it gets easier. Although expect the dry lips to stick around. Just wait it out, it will get better soon enough.

I am on Day 11 now. My lips are still pretty bothersome, but I finally got some Aquaphor, so that makes it easier. My skin is also really dry, primarily on my face. I will look down at my desk in class, and there will be a bunch of skin flakes from my face.

I have a terrible infestation of little pimples on my upper lip that has a very noticeable scab. It sucks, but what can you do?

Even though no one really reads this, I am going to keep posting anyways.

DAY 16

At this point, I wouldn't wish these side effects on anybody. Mainly just because of my lips. The Aquaphor even gets sucked up within minutes, and I am left with leathery lips. Not to mention I have a pimple on the corner of my mouth which makes it hard to eat without it hurting.

I know it will all eventually be worth it, but oh man, I could NEVER have been ready for all this.

I read your blog :) As for that nasty scab thing...best thing you can do is keep that area moisturized... (cetaphil cream is the best imo). Those lips...just keep aquaphor on them at all times is all you can do. They will get better...one day of constant aquaphor will get them back to normal. It sometimes takes a while to get results...but trust me...it is worth each and every side effect!! Good luck! Ill keep checking in!

I read your blog, I also find your avatar to be really funny, I'd like to see that on a t-shirt or something.

Good luck, you'll make it if you just persevere.

I went to the dermatologist yesterday. I asked him about this little cold sore looking thing I had on the corner of my mouth, and he told me it was thrush. It's something that babies get in their mouths usually. Mine is caused by my drooling when I sleep (I have braces) and the accutane together don't mix well. So he gave me some anti-fungal stuff to put on it. Has this ever happened to anyone else??

Other than that, I am getting a pretty good breakout right about now. I have a HUGE pimple on the bridge of my nose that makes my usually attractive nose into that of a dinosaur.

One month down. Five to go.