Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
schmowge

dosage too high?

starting my roaccutane course tomorrow, but my derm has put me on 60mg a day (3 20mg pills), im wondering if this is a bit high, i dont want a severe breakout or any other severe side effects.

should i take the full 60mg or take 40mg instead? :think:

help is greatly appreciated

Most derms are okay with you starting on a lower dose (say 20mg for a week or two) then slowly increasing it to your 60mg a day dose. This tends to alleviate the side effects :)

Hi -

Normal prescribing dosage for Accutane is .5-1mg per KG of weight. Generally, Derm's prescribe closer to the .5mg per KG of weight when starting Tane and may increase it upward from there. The lower the starting dose, the lesser chance of bad IB. Gets your body/skin used to Tane. Also, if you have very sensitive, thin, or Rosacea type skin it's best to stay lower than 1mg per KG.... Also, don't go above 1mg per KG as it increases the side effects.

Good luck.

Yvette

Hi -

Normal prescribing dosage for Accutane is .5-1mg per KG of weight. Generally, Derm's prescribe closer to the .5mg per KG of weight when starting Tane and may increase it upward from there. The lower the starting dose, the lesser chance of bad IB. Gets your body/skin used to Tane. Also, if you have very sensitive, thin, or Rosacea type skin it's best to stay lower than 1mg per KG.... Also, don't go above 1mg per KG as it increases the side effects.

Good luck.

Yvette

oh yeah i read that on the brochure.

im 56 kg and starting on 20 mg thats lower than 0.5 mg/kg for my firsth month.

talk to your derm, a normal increase would be 20 mg first month, then doubling the amounts per month, until you reach 1 mg/kg. some people report being on 2mg/kg for their last month but that is for severe cystic type. my type its mild acne, but persistent.

send me a private message or visit my accutane log to stay tuned with me, im also starting this quest and i need people to support me also.

no, it is not to high. it is normal. i was on 60mg/day from the beginning. (well actually 40/80 on alternate days.)