Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sparkledust

wool clothing a major cause of acne???

Atlanta, Georgia – Most people observe that they encounter acne outbreaks as soon as winter starts. This has been accredited to the fact that people use moisturizing lotions, cleansers and other skin care products in winter.

A new study has come out saying that people using wool clothing in winter may encounter acne. Wool may trigger sebaceous glands to produce excessive sebum that result in inflammation and clogged hair follicles. Sebum mixes with bacteria and white blood cells to form plaque.

Weak immune system may increase the susceptibility to wool. A weak immune system can not recognize and differentiate between harmful and useful substances entering the body. The immune system immediately produces antibodies that target not only to that substance for what they were produced but also trigger you hair follicles.

People also report that when they give up the use of wool clothing and used topical herbal remedies, they noticed a remarkable cure.

Therefore, if you have mild or severe acne, avoid putting on wool and try using an alternative like leather and warm clothing of different material.

I have ridiculously sensitive skin, so any clothing that is even slightly irritating will cause me to break out. Wool is awful. I have a cashmere coat (the only wool item I'll wear on a regular basis), so the wool is a lot more softer, but it's still irritating as hell when the wool part comes into contact with my skin.

I used to have to wear a uniform in high school that was 80% wool. It didn't give me acne, but it did give me raw elbows and eczema.

The military uses wool blankets and the navy dress uniform is wool. Neither has

ever caused me to breakout. But, as per this article you quote I don't have a

low immune system either. I have an overactive immune system instead...

thats interesting.. but i get acne just as well and i dont wear any wool. and out where I live its around 50 degrees all winter. so I'm not sure if that's very credible about the weather

I think that the dry weather makes people produce more oil to help moisturize the skin and since your skin doesn't exfoliate itself as well in the winter, this oil gets trapped, causing breakouts. I haven't worn wool in years, and I still have acne.