Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

All right. I haven't actually started Accutane as of yet. (Or as someone has very rightly called it, "controlled vitamin A poisoning".) I have decided that first thing tomorrow would be to get on track and get to it. But, for right now, I'm going to put down my treatment history/introduction.

I started getting mild acne late in highschool. (Everyone in my family is a late bloomer. The only benefit of that so far is looking younger than I actually am.) I didn't do a whole lot as far as treatment. It was pretty mild. But, by the time I hit senior year, it got worse, and I felt I needed to do something about it. I tried several different things. Clearsil, Neutrogena, Clean & Clear, ProActiv, all sorts. Nothing worked. (I have extrordinarily stubborn acne.)

I finally went to a dermatologist after a friend mentioned going to an appointment. (I noticed that her face had cleared up quite nicely.) There is only one dermatologist in the area, and he wasn't a regular at the hospital in my town, so I could only see him on the days he was in. That wasn't bad. What was actually unfortunate was that he was a pretty awful doctor. Sure, he prescribed all the standard stuff (puts you on a dozen different antibiotics and some kind of face gel/cream), but he never explained what ANY of the stuff he was giving me was and how it was supposed to help. He wasn't very friendly and rushed through all my appointments. (The nurse that accompanied him was the perfect opposite of him. She was very nice and always stayed after the doctor left to answer any questions I had.)

I started off on Differin gel and cephalexin. After that it was tetracycline, which turns out I'm allergic too, and then amoxicillin. None of these were helping. By the time he was going to get me to Accutane, I had had enough of severe stomach pains, yeast infections, and no improvement on my acne. (Or perhaps it was Roaccutane he was going to put me on. I didn't know that that was what I was going to go on until I read about it somewhere else much, much later. All I knew was that I would need blood tests. THAT is how bad of a doctor he is.) I told him that I was stopping treatment and never saw (or perhaps refused to see) him again.

Since then, I've again tried all sorts of different things. Vitamin B5, Dr. Wexler, Juice Beauty, pHisoderm, and a lot more. Even acne.org's regimen. Nothing seems to work. I just keep having a cycle of okay skin for a while and then bad skin for a longer time.

I've researched all kinds treatments. I've tried all kinds of cleansers, toners, exfoliaters, mosturizers, etc., and I'm sick of it. I know the risks of controlled vitamin A poisoning. I know that even if my acne clears on accutane, it could still come back. But, I absolutely CANNOT stand another day of looking in the mirror and being shamed and helpless. I have GOT to try something. Something that's more powerful, and accutane seems to be about the only option I have left.

I'm afraid I'll have to go back to my former dermatologist. But, I'm hoping that things will be different this time. I have a LOT more knowledge on acne and treatments, and I'm not afraid to stop his hurried ass and tell him he's a bad doctor. It sounds kind of rebellious, but I'm going to tell him exactly what I think, and if he has a problem with it, I will find another dermatologist. The worst he can do to me is refuse to treat me, and I can deal with that.

I'm sorry that was a long description. I'm also sorry it was kind of on the angry side, but I'm done being sad. I will treat this thing like the disease it is and beat it. (It's NOT some form of bad hygiene or punishment or social exclusion, it is a SKIN DISEASE. And, as such, it needs to be treated like one.)

If you read all of that, thank you. I do feel better venting all that stuff. And, hopefully I will be going on accutane in the near future (and hopefully posting less angry stuff).

hey ac3_g33k!

nice blog, sorry to hear about your dermatologist, he sounds like ass hole! (excuse the bad language) i too tried tetracyclines and its close neighbour relatives doxycycline and amoxicillin none worked for me either, i also tried skinB5 which is the pro vitamin which is suppose to be an alternative to accutane, just without the side effects, as you can probably guess that didn't work either. i even went to the extreme and have blue and red light photo therapy which is the exposure to a specific blue and red light bandwidth which 1 kills bacteria under the skin and 2 speeds up the healing process. as much as people say things work, and reviews and promotion and advertisements go some peoples skin is just too stubborn, (which mine is :( ) im now on accutane and might i say its only been a few days and its amazing, if your dermatologists wont prescribe you accutane and you cant find a dermatologists there is a generic website you can purchase accutane from, and they send it to your door step via courier, i cannot post the website here it will just get removed, but if your interested i can give you the website, the only problem with doing it without a dermatologists is you need an anti inflammatory you have to find somehting which wont interact and which will work without there advice and get blood tests at your own will from a normal GP and ask them, is my liver healthy etc.

i hope this helps!

goodluck!

were all here to support you through your process!

Hello again! All right. Time for an update!

I haven't gotten on Accutane yet, but I've made some progress so far.

I've decided NOT to go back to my old dermatologist for several different reasons. A couple being: 1) I shouldn't have to deal with a jerk for a doctor, and 2) I need to find a dermatologist closer to where I work and go to school.

I have found a dermatologist nearby my current residence, and the best news is that they accept my insurance! :dance: I'll probably be making some calls to set up an appointment either tomorrow or monday, depending on their office hours.

I also realized that I didn't give a whole lot of obligatory (or is it obligatory?) background information on myself. Just a very long, angry rant about my FORMER derm! lol

Weight: about 125 to 132 lbs (I like to bounce back and forth between these numbers for some reason.)

Height: around 5'8"

Skin: Fair (I burn pretty easy), mostly Combination (but still pretty oily), and moderate to severe acne

I don't eat or drink very healthy, but I am getting MUCH better as per my new years resolution. ;)

I think I'll post up some pictures soon. I don't have my camera or cord with me right now, so current ones will have to wait. I'll still post some old ones though.

Hey blonde_boy! Thanks for the comment. I know exactly how you feel about the stubborn skin part! It's a pain! lol And thanks for the offer for the website, but as of now, I don't need to resort to that yet. Hopefully the new derm I get will agree to give me Accutane! I hope your treatment goes well! :D

Have a good day everyone!

Susan

One quick thing I want to add. (Sorry! Forgot!)

I have a couple of questions I'd like to pose to you guys:

1) I've had a terrible time finding a good mosturizer. Do you guys have any good suggestions? I've heard that Aveeno is good. Has anyone tried that?

2) I'm going to be going overseas in May. Does anyone know if there's something specific to do for medication? I think you need something from your doc saying it's okay that you have it. Has anyone dealt with this?

Okay! That's it for now! :D

Susan

All right! Sorry for the huge delay people! I had a lot of trouble with getting my car situation straightened out, but here's the scoop.

I just made my appointment with my derm. Yay! I'm one step closer to clear skin!

Unfortunately, I don't see her until May 14th. Bummer. I hope this works out all right because that's finals week, and I leave for Japan the very next week. And because my cysts have subsided, I'm worried that she won't let me on Accutane. I'm going to try my hardest to convince her I need it though because even this moderate acne is still painful (physically, I mean, not that it doesn't hurt emotionally too).

So, cross your fingers for me guys! I'll get back to you as soon as I've seen my new derm!

Susan