Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
trvce

All the great authors hate people with acne??

Hey guys,

has anyone noticed in their reading that acne is considered the universal symbol of idioticity pathetic-ness?

I was reading a story by Nikolai Gogol, a really famous Russian author (who is an amazing author, by the way) and he has this to say:

"And so, in a certain department there served a certain clerk; a not very remarkable clerk, one might say -- short, somewhat pockmarked, somewhat red-haired, even with a somewhat nearsighted look, slightly bald in front, with wrinkles on both cheeks and a complexion that is known as hemorrhoidal..."

As you might expect, this clerk gets the short end of the stick at the end of the story.

Does anyone have any other examples of this they have encountered?

yes! aahhh i know exactly what you're talking about. i dont remember the show i was watching but i remember what happened. this very pretty teenage girl claimed she was getting a pimple (which, of course, was non-existant) and she freaked out and called herself a "she-beast." that was pretty rough to hear, considering i was going through a bad breakout then. not to mention the other actors with all their lovely comments about it...heh seriously thats embarassing when there are other perfect skinned people sitting right next to you.

haha i have been in a similar situation....i was talking with a friend (who has excellent skin) about feng shui, and out of the blue she mentioned her friend who was obsessed with feng shui but had acne. her friend realized that she was sleeping in front of the bathroom (?) and somehow when she moved her bed her acne went away. i didn't really know how to reply....all i could think was....if only it were that easy for the rest of us....

haha i wouldnt really know what to say either. i'm pretty sure thats a big load of bull. but yeah no kidding, if only it were that easy!

i see that you're new here, welcome! are you going to try the regimen on this site? i highly recommend it :D

hi, yah i'm new...i have been thinking about the regimen actually. for about 2 months now i have been using benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid treatments, and it's helped a little bit, but every few weeks the acne flairs up again. what have your experiences been with the regimen? what products have you used for it??

hi, yah i'm new...i have been thinking about the regimen actually. for about 2 months now i have been using benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid treatments, and it's helped a little bit, but every few weeks the acne flairs up again. what have your experiences been with the regimen? what products have you used for it??

Hey guys,

has anyone noticed in their reading that acne is considered the universal symbol of idioticity pathetic-ness?

I was reading a story by Nikolai Gogol, a really famous Russian author (who is an amazing author, by the way) and he has this to say:

"And so, in a certain department there served a certain clerk; a not very remarkable clerk, one might say -- short, somewhat pockmarked, somewhat red-haired, even with a somewhat nearsighted look, slightly bald in front, with wrinkles on both cheeks and a complexion that is known as hemorrhoidal..."

As you might expect, this clerk gets the short end of the stick at the end of the story.

If anyone has read the book trainspotting theres a part in it when the main character is describing a guy at a job interview and it literally takes up at least 5 lines describing how spotty this dude is.

I need to read trainspotting for my course at uni pretty soon so I look forward to that ;)

Renton is a pretty nasty piece of work anyway though isn't he? His description probably reflects his character more than anything.

I remember in Catcher in the Rye, this one kid who gets a bad rap, sort of

a layabout roommate kid, and they give him acne, like that's somehow the

culmination of him being a lamo :rolleyes:

The most annoying thing is that when writers give it to a character they act

like it's the Black Death or something, it's so stupid. Kinda like no one gets

acne and oh my gosh poor them. It's absurd.

A regular person who has never had acne likely wouldn't see it as a fate worse than death (as it's portrayed sometimes in books). In some movies, it's merely comic relief and that's more likely how most non-acne sufferers perceive it. (unless it's the severe nodulocystic type that is quite frankly rather rare.)

The authors (who discuss acne in disgusted terms) most likely did experience acne themselves in order to be able to equate acne with horrors and 'fate worse than death' and so forth. That's my take, though. :D

Definitely. It seems that in literature, authors use acne as a physical manisfestation of a character flaw. Not surprising because in real life, acne is not pleasant. Look at all of us here. We all hate acne and we're trying our best to get rid of it, right? So naturally authors will symbolize acne as a negative thing.

I rented out Hostel once and i remember listening to the film commentary. The director(i think) was talking about how they gave the one owner of an apartment (where in the beginning of the movie the 3 guys go to after a party) a few spots on his skin and made him appear like a rat sleezebag kinda guy.. :doubt: i couldnt even see these spots so it just makes me hope that the rest of the world doesn't have the same mindset as the directors and think that a few spots suddenly makes someone a dodgy character

I remeber in Catcher in the Rye, this one kid who gets a bad rap, sort of

a layabout roommate kid, and they give him acne, like that's somehow the

culmination of him being a lamo :rolleyes:

The most annoying thing is that when writers give it to a character they act

like it's the Black Death or something, it's so stupid. Kinda like no one gets

acne and oh my gosh poor them. It's absurd.

Yeah, Ackley, I couldn't recall the name. And that's when my skin was at it's worst,

and when I was reading that I was like oh shoot and felt like crap and I almost threw

the friggin' book against the wall. Little bit of an overreaction perhaps :lol:

Yes, characters with acne are usually written to be dirty, poor, stupid, evil, etc...

I think it is in Jane Austen's "Persuasion" is which it is implied that the main character has acne...there's comments made about her complexion improving and looking clearer, but of course it was too delicate of a time to outright call it "acne". I thought it was an interesting trait to add to an otherwise likable and intelligent character. Pretty cool & realistic of Miss Austen, haha.

lol my class was reading Catcher in the Rye about a month ago out loud. When they read the part about Ackely and his pimples i felt like the whole class was looking at me =P

When I read the topic title I immediately thought of Catcher In The Rye. When I was in high school, as a project, we were assigned characters and had to give a presentation in front of the class as that character. Needless to say I got assigned Ackley (Holden's "disgusting" roomate). Most awkward 5 minutes ever, especially when the prettiest girl in school that I had the biggest crush on was in my class and sitting in the front row. Fate can be so cruel :boohoo: haha.

Omigosh omigosh this is the best blinkin' topic ever! I have found insults to acne sufferers and scars in SO many books. Not to mention movies. Not to mention like 6 strong bad emails. Anyway, there was these I've noticed:

Chaucer's Canterburry Tales- there is an villain character who is described as being pimply faced and hideously ugly, and that nothing he tried would cure his skin. Chaucer goes so far as to say he frightens children! Back in HS my teach thought this was the most interesting character so the whole class time was spent discussing him. :redface:

Charles Dickens Great Expectations- There is a devious character in the story who is described simultaneously as being pimply faced and ugly. Later when he returns he is acne free, and this is equated with him growing up, becoming a "good guy" and being handsome.

Kingdom Come- some lame book I picked up once and never even finished, but the traitor cop was described as having "pockmarks on his face that showed he had been through some rough times" tell me about it. I sympathized with his wrong actions from that point on.

Garth Nix Keys to the Kingdom- if you've heard of this series you may know that a few of his books make unfavorable references to characters with acne.

You want acne in classic literature? This link has plenty of examples: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/_/search/Sea...amp;Word=pimple

Hey guys,

I remember in Fresh Prince, Carlton got a pimple (which you literally could not see on screen) and freaked out about it. Really really pissed me off.

Hey guys,

ahahaha u said the short end thing perfectly

yah

i remember in harry potter idk if this was a mean thing but the author mentions a girl trying to cover up her acne skin with a pound of obvious makeuup

Well I suppose you could interpret it that way but spud (rentons mate) who is not really a nasty piece of work also spends a couple of lines describing the spotty dude, not in a bad way I suppose, if I recall correctly he calls him a "poor cat".

Also you'll enjoy it for sure, one of the best books ive ever read, the language is hard to understand though, although its written in english, its also written in scottish slang (at least I think its slang). Once you get to know what most of the words mean ken=know, cannae=cannot etc etc it gets easier. Gets better with each read through as your understanding of the words increase. Unless you are scottish, then you should have no problem :D