Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattpd

Using retinoids and azelaic acid

Right now I use retin-a at night and BP in the morning. I don't really like BP, it has never worked that well for me. I want to try azelaic acid because it sounds like BP and SA all in one. It kills bacteria and helps skin shed, but the retin-a also sheds skin. Would it be bad to subsitute my BP for some 10 or 15 percent azelaic acid?

Right now I use retin-a at night and BP in the morning. I don't really like BP, it has never worked that well for me. I want to try azelaic acid because it sounds like BP and SA all in one. It kills bacteria and helps skin shed, but the retin-a also sheds skin. Would it be bad to subsitute my BP for some 10 or 15 percent azelaic acid?

yes you can use those products together. i'm using retin-a to clear non-inflammatory acne and it was actually giving me more whiteheads, so my dermatologists prescribed me finacea (15% azelaic acid) to use in the morning and told me to continue using retin-a at night. it cleared the new whiteheads within days. it's working very well for me, just make sure to moisturize.

I use differin at night and azelaic acid twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. I apply azelaic acid an hour after applying differin. I've been on this regime for only 2 weeks though, so I can't really comment on the long term effects. As of now, however, I get far less breakouts and all the lesions I get are smaller, drier and heal faster.

I noticed no one else applying azelaic acid and retinoids at the same time, or shortly after one another. I wonder why this is the case because retinoids help other topicals penetrate the skin better.

Nonetheless, I have to say that my regime is not designed by a dermatologist. I've been to several dermatologists only to have them assign me to the same old regimes of clindamycin, oral antibiotics and/or retinoids. I think it's not very wise to keep paying them for the same old tricks so I decided to mix and match them myself, with sufficient online research of course.

Anyway, just another tip for people who live in australia. Azelaic acid is a non-prescription medication in australia and can be bought cheaply from pharmacies under the brand Acnederm which belongs to an australian company. They tend to be around AUD$10, which is cheaper than Finacea or Azelex from what I've heard. It contains 20% azelaic acid as well, so unless the other ingredients in those two products have acne-fighting properties, I think their efficacy should be similar.

I actually use all 3;

Morning: BP face wash and Azelaic acid

Night: BP face wash followed by istorex (topical retinoid)

I can use both together at the same time, but some people's skin can't handle it, so best to use one in the morning, and one at night, minimzing irritation. Also, its always a good idea to use the retinoid at night, since it gets easily irritated in the sun.