Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lightspeed

Whey Protein Supplement

Well I go to the gym a fair bit to do weights, normally I take 50-75grams of whey protein shake each day - mix with water not milk. It amounts to about 40-60g protein.

Question is, will this affect my acne? I'm in the process of trying to clean up my diet. A lot of people seem to link protein supplements to acne. Although others claim its other products they alongside the protein. Creatine, GAK and the sorts.

So.. whey protein. Leave it out my diet for now? Or can this be given the thumbs up? I would like to continue taking it, but my acne is more important than that right now. I can still build muscle without the supplement for sure. But can I achieve a clear face? I don't know.

As for now I have not taken it for about 4 days since my diet clearance has started. Unless anyone can say for sure it won't affect acne I think I'm going to stay off it for a month and keep my current regimen. See what happens.

So..

Try a whey protein isolate instead of a concentrate. An isolate is much higher quality and totally devoid of lactose and casein, two of the more aggravating factors.

Yeah, go with isolates. I have never used Gold Standard if that is what you are using, though. The last two protein powders I have tried were from Muscletech and MHP Probolic. I haven't really tested them for effects on my skin, although I didn't notice my skin changing really when on nitrotech hardcore.

definitely cut it out if youre more worried about acne.

once i started taking whey protein, 2 a day about, my acne started to get absolutely horrible. i attribute all of it to this. along with alot of milk, and a general body building diet.

High protein diet has been linked with acne. As a former serious bodybuilder its tearing me apart...Ive decided to drop the sport for the sake of my skin and being "presentable" to other people when I go out. Unfortunately people have linked my body with my face (which has been out for a severe smackdown of acne) to the use of roids. Just they dont know going on roids usually doesnt affect it, but the starting up of your own system is the main cause for outbreaks - e.g. using clomid.

Oh and just a sidenote; im clean as a whistle.

Ive reduced my training to 3x a week. Unfortunately it reminds me more of the discopumpers and the OAP training scheme - meaning no heavy squats or deadlifts - nor any weights thatll make me 'sweat' - so its more lightweight nowadays and only shoulders, arms and chest is getting worked.

Hmm, reading this. Im off the protein supplement for a month. See what happens, and then later I'll try introduce it. Hopefully I can still keep gaining, obviously not as fast, but I will still be happy. I have already set goals for my training and I can hopefully still meet them without protein shakes.

Just stick to the 0.8 gr per pound instead of the 'normal' 1.5 gr per pound. That way you get it covered.

Ive gained the goals I set yeaaaars ago, but when youre gaining and you look at yourself you just want to become bigger. Thats how I felt and it felt good after each session! Im gonna go back to heavyass lifting the day Im spotfree after a night out, a trip to macD or w/e

I'm glad that you posted this because I was just thinking about the same thing. I stopped taking whey protein shakes about a month ago because my acne was flaring up a lot. I cut out other factors (caffeine, dark sodas, too much dairy, etc.) and it continued. I was also hesitant at stopping because I lift 4 days a week. However, as soon as I stopped the protein shakes to see what would happen, there was a noticeable improvement in my face. I'm still working at nailing down other factors that contribute, but I really think that the whey protein was a main one (especially after reading the other posts here). I remember that my extra flare-ups started around the time I began taking the shakes, but was attributing it to other factors (stress, etc.). I miss drinking the shakes after workouts, but I'm still noticing muscle gain. Good luck and I'll be interested to see what kind of results you get.

This sucks, Im a hard gainer and lately I have eating so much more then usual, Im always full! Ugh, A protein Shake would really halp I think but since it fucks with your skin Im going to have to give it a miss and just get used to feeling bloated all day

High protein diet has been linked with acne. As a former serious bodybuilder its tearing me apart...Ive decided to drop the sport for the sake of my skin and being "presentable" to other people when I go out. Unfortunately people have linked my body with my face (which has been out for a severe smackdown of acne) to the use of roids. Just they dont know going on roids usually doesnt affect it, but the starting up of your own system is the main cause for outbreaks - e.g. using clomid.

Oh and just a sidenote; im clean as a whistle.

Ive reduced my training to 3x a week. Unfortunately it reminds me more of the discopumpers and the OAP training scheme - meaning no heavy squats or deadlifts - nor any weights thatll make me 'sweat' - so its more lightweight nowadays and only shoulders, arms and chest is getting worked.

Excellent topic. I to have had a similar experience as many of the posters in this thread. Whey has also made me really oily it seems. I am now experimenting with Egg Protein. Does any one have experience with egg protein?

Excellent topic. I to have had a similar experience as many of the posters in this thread. Whey has also made me really oily it seems. I am now experimenting with Egg Protein. Does any one have experience with egg protein?