Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Helio

Could detergent and/or fabric softener be the cause of your body acne?

10 members have voted

1. 1. Is detergent/fabric softener causing your body acne? (Don't vote if you have body acne and have NOT tried other detergents/fabric softeners!)

• Yes, detergent.
    • Yes, fabric softener.
    • Yes, both.
    • No, I use...(reply as a post)

A thought occured to me last night. Maybe it's the detergent or fabric softener I use that's causing my body acne. I don't have oily skin.

I did searches on this and apparently many others also wondered about this, but there's mixed answers. Some say no, some say yes. This is probably because there's a myriad of laundry products out there, who knows if the one you're using is causing problems?

I'm really desperate to get rid of body acne and this seems like an easy change.

I just washed my clothes in Woolite and didn't use any fabric softener. Let's see if this makes any difference..

There is evidence that fabric softener can cause body breakouts - the waxy substance that makes your clothes soft also is what can clog your pores.

Detergents probably vary more, but some of the ingredients can irritate skin, leading to rashy breakouts (and maybe acne flares too). Best to use something that is free of perfurmes/dyes.

There is evidence that fabric softener can cause body breakouts - the waxy substance that makes your clothes soft also is what can clog your pores.

Detergents probably vary more, but some of the ingredients can irritate skin, leading to rashy breakouts (and maybe acne flares too). Best to use something that is free of perfurmes/dyes.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Of course my family members (who all have flawless skin) thought I was crazy.

Listen I've always had this on my mind. Never had the inspiration to see if maybe it was a cause. If anything I would lean towards the fabric softener, although the detergent makes sense too. Please do me a favor and keep us updated. I would love to know if this has an effect on you sulfur. :whistle:

I'm going to cut both of them out (my clothes never get that dirty, and hot water will clean clothes just fine)

Sorry to necropost, but I personally thought that fabric softener was giving me really bad breakouts.

About 18 months ago I started living with my gf who insisted that she must use fabric softener on all the laundry. Within weeks of this starting, I began getting huge purple cysts on my lower back. I never had bacne on my lower back before so I was really getting worried.

I noticed that my skin was really oily and had a feeling like it was coated with some sort of waxy substance. My pores were obviously being blocked.

I cut out the fabric softener (I don't let her touch my laundry) a month ago and in the last 3 weeks, things have really been starting to clear up.

I'm using Tide detergent for sensitive skin, and good ol' dryer sheets (cheap ones are better because they don't seem to leave residue behind).

It's worth a try for anyone else who's using fabric softener.

Yes, in fact I was talking to my dermatologist about that yesterday. We were trying to figure out what has been making me itch. He said GAIN is full of fragrance and perfumes. Last night, I had total insomnia and my whole body was itching. It still itches