Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Most of us know that some form of exfoliation is great for removing old, dead skin cells. I guess it depends on individual skin types, but I am trying to find out what method to use and how often. There's so many different options including facial scrubs (OTC and homemade), chemical peels, taping, steaming, masks (OTC and homemade), baby hairbrush method. Any others I have missed? What do others recommend and how often?

At the moment I am trying a micro-fibre cloth twice a week. I don't think it's a great idea to over-exfoliate. The cloth suits me because at the moment I'm using only water to wash my face.

Used the cloth for a week and it's pretty good on my skin. I imagine it exfoliates similarly to the baby brush method. Skin feels really smooth the next day after doing it.

Depends on your skin sensitivity and acne type. If you are mainly prone to inflamed acne, you probably want to avoid physical scrubs, as these can aggravate and cause inflamed acne to spread. With inflamed acne, you'd probably be better off using a chemical exfoliant like glycolic or mandelic acid, and maybe gentle exfoliation 2-3 times a week using a gentle cleanser with a facial brush or soft washcloth.

If you mainly have non-inflamed acne, a cleansing scrub that contains smooth cleansing beads is a good option (so avoid the apricot pit scrubs!), as is chemical exfoliation. I am more prone to non-inflamed acne, with just the occasional inflamed spot. I use a gentle scrub twice a day and also an OTC product that contains lactic acid and vitamin A proprionate. Works well for me.

I would actually advise against baking soda - its PH is not close enough to that of your skin's PH. It can be an overly abrasive method too.

Try natural sugar. And if you have oily skin try lemon juice and sugar to make a paste.

Its very gentle and does a great job at removing the dead skin without irritation.