Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have been posting 4 weeks of updates on my home treatment in another thread which some of you may have already checked out.

- Here is a link to the "eBay lamp" which I have been using two of - let me know if/when the link dies and I will link to a new one.

Anyway, it may be a bit presumptuous, but I thought I may have some useful info for those thinking of trying a home blue light treatment. I will try to answer any questions as best I can.

So, I decided to copy and post my 4 weeks of updates from the other thread to here, and continue my treatment log. The following will be those 4 weeks of posts, and thereafter new ones.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Dec 6 2007, 03:48 PM

Well this marks the beginning of my test of the same ebay lamps that others in this thread are using. We will call this "day one". I have set this up so that I lay on the floor, with one lamp on either side of my face, slightly angled for optimal coverage, with the bulbs about eight inches from my face. As advised, I went down to the local tanning shop and purchased a pair of those little goggles they wear. At this point I believe the tanning goggles are absolutely necessary, as the lights are deceptively bright, and seem to have a strange/undesired effect on the naked eye; at least thats what happened to me when I first looked at them. Anyway, I will be continuing use of a generic three-part benzoil peroxide system to help control breakouts, but of course I will not have any products on my face at the time of treatment. I will be laying under the lamps for a total of thirty minutes a day, fifteen in the morning, and fifteen at night. I will also continue to take a daily multi-vitamin and vitamin C supplement; I believe that concludes the list of controlled variables for the test wink.gif . I will be posting weekly updates describing the results at each interval. So I guess thats it, here we go, wish me luck!

Dec 13 2007, 09:23 PM

UPDATE: This marks the end of week one of using the eBay lamps referred to in my previous post. As to be expected it is far too soon to make any assertions as to the effectiveness of the treatment. Curiously though, I expected a temporary worsening of acne, which is of course to be expected at the onset of any new treatment, and I really didn't experience any worsening or clearing per-say. Well, over night last night I had a flare-up, but I'm thinking that was just due to an increase in stress, though I could be wrong. I certainly have not experienced any clearing yet, but then, I certainly wouldn't expect to for at least a two or three more weeks. So yeah, I just wanted to make this update on time, like I said I would. But really there isn't much of anything to report yet. I want to say that I do think this blue light therapy will work, because I can actually feel the light doing something in my skin, it feels rather strange. Anyway, I will probably have more to report in my next update at the end of week two. Until then, happy holidays everyone!

Dec 20 2007, 10:56 PM

UPDATE: End of week 2... Well here I am at the end of week two of using the ebay lamps. I have to say I could not have been more wrong in my last update about the flare-up thing. I have definitely experienced a worsening of acne from using the lights but that means to me that they're working. I think I may be at the tail end of the temporary worsening though (hopefully), as the breakouts seem to have died down over the last day or two.

I'm pretty sure I'm not getting any tanning effects, though I suppose it might be a little hard to tell sometimes, seeing as how my face can get rather red from the benzoil peroxide. But these lights are mostly outside the UV spectrum so I'm pretty sure we are safe. I am quite pale (when not red), I'm sure either I or someone else would have noticed if I were getting a tan. I have to admit I have been going for more like 20-25 even 30 minutes each time (once daily), but I must say I'm not experiencing any adverse reactions. If anything, I think it may be working a little better. And I think its also important to mention that I am very photosensitive, but wearing tanning goggles, and keeping my eyes shut pretty much the whole time, I'm not having any problems. When the ebay seller says in the disclaimer that light sensitive people should not use this product, I think he's probably just covering his bases. As I said my eyes and skin are very sensitive to sunlight; but utilizing proper eye protection, and a calming lotion after treatment, I haven't had any adverse reactions. No worse/additional redness or flaking apart from what the benzoil peroxide does and has always done. In fact, I am thinking about taking a break from the benzoil peroxide, I certainly don't need the aggravation it causes my skin.

I should also say that just in the last couple of days I have moved the lamps closer to my face than the original 8 inches, and I think I am getting better results. The bulbs get warm, but not hot like a normal household bulb, not close enough or hot enough to burn at all. Actually the warmth feels rather pleasant, and may even help to open the pores a bit?

The temporary worsening is normal at the onset of any new treatment as everyone knows. So all in all, I am feeling good about these lights, I think they are working. This could possibly replace or reduce my meddling with benzoil peroxide for the most part, given everything goes well. I wanted to mention for those reading this that I have "completed" several rounds of "treatment" with Accutane (and later Sotret) through the years with only moderate success. I mean I did experience periods of remission, but it always came back within a year after "completing" that round of treatment. And the side effects, ugh, don't even get me started. Anyway, I just wanted to throw that in as a reference point for those reading. In the weeks to come, I will be weighing my experience with this blue light therapy against my history with Accutane (and every antibiotic and topical product). So far the lamps are in the lead with no apparent side effects, and seemingly quick to show effectiveness.

Well, thus concludes my week two progress-report. Until next week, happy holidays Dan and everyone!

Dec 28 2007, 02:36 PM

UPDATE: End of week 3:

Sorry I'm a day late on this update, been rather busy. So, yesterday was the end of week three and things are going pretty well. I am no longer getting the bad cystic-type acne that was happening in the first couple weeks of using the lamps due to the rapid killing of bacteria. I am clearing up a bit, well, starting to that is. Got some bad red marks from the onset of treatment, so I think I am going to get some AHA lotion; never tried it before but people in the forum say it helps.

So I stayed at my grandmother's house over xmas, and could really only bring one lamp with me. But it still worked great, I was keeping it about 3 inches or so from my face, and did a total of 15 minutes, moving my face every 5 minutes. Like 5 directly on the front, then turn and do 5 on the left side, then 5 on the right side. I know you're not supposed to, but I swear I can feel the light working and I like it! Anyway, for those thinking of buying one of these "eBay lamps" that we are talking about, (in my opinion) you don't have to get 2 of them, you can do fine with 1 if you don't mind shifting around. Now that I am back home I am going back to using both lamps at the same time, because I can just lay in one spot.

At this point in the treatment I am pretty well sold on the blue light. In my opinion it is at least every bit as effective as BP; considerably more effective if you keep the bulbs closer as I do, it penetrates deep into the skin instead of just sitting on the surface and hopefully soaking in a bit like BP. These are opinion statements based on my personal experience, I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea here. I'm not trying to sell anything, and I certainly can't say it will work for you, but I think it's working for me. I read some posts in other light treatment threads where people were complaining about how difficult it is to take time out of your day to sit/lay under a lamp for 15-30 minutes. Honestly, thats just BS. How hard is it to take 15 minutes, maybe even 20 or 30, and relax under a lamp? I look forward to my "lamp time", it's a nice little time to lay down and relax. I do mine after my nightly washing, prior to applying any products. The lamp does cause some minor redness/dryness, but I apply a calming lotion after treatment, before going to bed, and by morning my skin is fine. Even if I had to sit at a table or desk in front of a BeautySkin device or something similar, I don't think I would be complaining, but laying under a lamp is definitely more relaxing.

With the effectiveness of this blue light treatment, I am really wanting to try a red light now for healing and evening skin tone. From what I've read, it needs to be between 630-660nm or thereabouts. Anyone have a good/affordable suggestion? The links below were posted in another thread here on acne.org, so I am totally not taking credit for finding them, but would like some opinions, Dan? Techguy? The person whom posted the links, and those responding in agreement, said that they are essentially the same bulbs that Sci/Arts is selling for more than twice the price.

-Links-

This is a very affordable blue light bulb- $20.95 - 150watt

This is the red counterpart to the above bulb from the same site - also $20.95 - 150watt

And this is an inexpensive lamp that is supposed to house either bulb - $23.95 - Might be able to find this on ebay for even less?

Anyway, any opinions and/or information on the above items would be much appreciated. Of course proper eye protection would be absolutely necessary for safe use. I am mainly just wondering if the bulbs do indeed produce the a peak of the ideal light (405-420nm blue / 630-660nm red). They certainly seem to be powerful enough wattage, and look as though they could cover a decent-size area.

Okay, well I think it's about time for me to conclude this post. I look forward to reading any responses, and will update again (probably on time) next week. I hope everyone had a great holiday, and happy New Year!

Jan 5 2008, 12:45 PM

UPDATE: Late again here, two days late this time. Oh well. It's now after the end of week 4 of using the eBay lamps. I don't know for sure, but I may have been a bit too excited about getting results. In that I mean that at the onset of using the lamps, they definitely made me break out way worse, then went on to clear up that initial flare-up quite quickly. The experience of using the lamps *in the first few weeks* was similar to Accutane, or some powerful antibiotic like Doxicycline (probably spelled wrong). But unlike the before-mentioned oral medications, thats about where the clearing has stopped, at least for now. The lamps took care of the horrible flare-up they caused, but I can't say that I have any less acne now than before I started using the lamps; maybe even more. Still waking up with fresh zits every morning, and I think that maybe the blue light is perhaps helping to get rid of them a bit faster, but not preventing them from happening.

Now it's important to clarify, I am NOT saying that these blue lights don't work, I cannot even say that from a personal standpoint yet. I am definitely going to finish out the remaining 4 weeks of treatment (and am very much hoping to see more results). Right now I am simply expressing how I am currently feeling about *my* experience using one kind of blue light product which we are referring to as "the ebay lamps" (look in earlier posts for a link).

It could be that at least for the last couple days, I may have caused more zits from starting to take three B5 (pantothenic acid) vitamins a day; but that would only account for the last 2 days.

Anyway, like I said, I still have another 4 weeks to go. It entirely likely that I have just reached sort of a plateau in the treatment, and in another week or two will start to clear up. Perhaps I could skew the results bit however, as I mentioned I started taking three B5 vitamins a day, and I ordered a bottle of that 10% AHA lotion from drugstore.com, I don't think these things will have a large impart on the results of the light test, but they could. I certainly hope they change things, because I am beginning to feel a sort of desperation that I haven't felt in years. I'm not going to ramble on about that though.

So, since this update is made on a Saturday, I will not be posting another until next Saturday. I hope that 2008 is treating everyone kindly, take care Dan and everyone!

Good idea to start your testing as a separate thread, to make it easier to track this information! We do need a realistic assessment, which you are going to be able to give. THanks for the effort in making the detailed reports and I look forward to your final conclusion. -Dan

Good idea to start your testing as a separate thread, to make it easier to track this information! We do need a realistic assessment, which you are going to be able to give. THanks for the effort in making the detailed reports and I look forward to your final conclusion. -Dan

lol, yeah but I guess it's not going to matter if you and I are the only ones reading this. Thanks again for all your support!

Good thread man. I'm enjoying following your progress. The longer you keep going the better.

I'm thinking of starting light treatment soon. I just bought a small dermastyle pen. I know its a different style of treatment, mainly on the spot not overall face preventative. Some say its rubbish, but some got results so I'm trying it out. Got it used for the equivalent of $40 :D

But keep up the treatment, hope it works for you. Are you taking pictures, even if you didn't want to post them pictures are solid evidence of results. A lot of the time I forget what my acne really used to look like.

Curiously though, I expected a temporary worsening of acne, which is of course to be expected at the onset of any new treatment, and I really didn't experience any worsening or clearing per-say. Well, over night last night I had a flare-up, but I'm thinking that was just due to an increase in stress, though I could be wrong.

On our other thread, a person reported using the ebay lights for many months, and indicated the light was not effective, and that it caused more whitehead breakouts. It's hard to gauge without a controlled study (we don't know distance, other topicals, prior history, etc), but did you find that to be the case, or were the new breakouts more like cystic acne (red nodules) in thie initial weeks of use?

UPDATE: End of week 5.

So yeah, little more than five weeks into this blue light treatment. Feeling a bit better than week four, not quite as many break outs, but that may be due to some changes I've been making. The lamps are part of my regimen, but I switched from 10% to 2.5% BP. I'm not sure it's quite as effective as the 10% but it is somewhat less irritating, and since I'm using the lamps I figured I don't really need to be using 10%. And, as I eluded to in a previous post I recently started to use a 10% AHA lotion, which has a nice sting to it, but does visibly improve my skin... after the redness goes away. It does a great job of taking care of the flakiness, but leaves my skin looking really shiny... like I got run over by a floor-buffer or something. Also I have been taking these B5 vitamins (500mg Pantothenic Acid) and I think they help. Of course I'm not taking 20 of them a day like some threads tell you to, that seems ridiculous and dangerous to me; I've been taking 3 a day. I have also read that diet is absolutely linked to acne, so I have been making an effort to eat better, fruits and veggies, lean meat, as little processed junk as possible, never did eat any sweets or much dairy anyway (yuck), etc. Blah, blah.

Anyway, back to the lights: So, they may be getting better, perhaps some gradual improvement, still pretty hard to tell. I of course still have new breakouts, but maybe a bit less than the last update. I have backed off the distance I keep the bulbs to my face just a little bit, slightly less irritation that way, they really do dry your skin, flake, and cause redness; basically just like BP. Calming lotion helps to minimize redness, applied after treatment. I was wondering though, I know you're not supposed to have any products on your face when you use this thing, but would it really be that bad if you used a really light, neutral moisturizer without SPF? I mean these lamps really dry out my skin. I'm not going to start putting anything on before treatment, but I'm just kinda asking. I mean people put that Luvian stuff on their face first, I know that makes them more sensitive to the light though... but then again so does like every acne-fighting ingredient like benzoil peroxide, salcilic acid, alpha hydroxy, retinol, etc. etc.

Well, that about wraps it up for week five. In summation... not much different than week 4, lol. However, still faithfully doing the light treatment while trying some new things, still hoping for the best, trying to stay looking at the bright side of things while avoiding mirrors/social contact as usual. Until next week, hope everyone is doing well, take care!

Best wishes!

P.S. Hey Dan, good to see your thread back! Must have happened when the forums went down eh? I heard there was some sort of crazy attack on the site.

Hi There!!

I've been using the Ebay Acne lamp for about a month and I'm not seeing any positive results. I keep on getting breakouts and it gets worse and worse. I just stopped doing it everyday for 2 weeks and my skin is rapidly clearing up. I'm only doing it once a week and i'm seeing results, but i'm guessing it's the skincare regimen i'm already using. That's been clearing up my skin. I was hoping that the blue light would clear up my skin completely but, "NO". The Blue light has been a downside road for me.

So I suggest if your not getting results look into using the skin regimen i'm using.... Carley's Clear and smooth which can be found on Ebay. Great scrub and soap. I just use these 2 products and my skin is healing and getting less breakouts. I'm using Aloe Vera Gel for my red marks and it's working great. I'm also using a red light handheld light and that seems to be healing my marks and breakouts are healing fast!!!

I am completely dropping the blue light since it didn't work out for me!!!

Hi There!!

I've been using the Ebay Acne lamp for about a month and I'm not seeing any positive results. I keep on getting breakouts and it gets worse and worse. I just stopped doing it everyday for 2 weeks and my skin is rapidly clearing up. I'm only doing it once a week and i'm seeing results, but i'm guessing it's the skincare regimen i'm already using. That's been clearing up my skin. I was hoping that the blue light would clear up my skin completely but, "NO". The Blue light has been a downside road for me.

So I suggest if your not getting results look into using the skin regimen i'm using.... Carley's Clear and smooth which can be found on Ebay. Great scrub and soap. I just use these 2 products and my skin is healing and getting less breakouts. I'm using Aloe Vera Gel for my red marks and it's working great. I'm also using a red light handheld light and that seems to be healing my marks and breakouts are healing fast!!!

Hi There!!

Well, there are several possibilities, but none are particularly rosy. One, the ebay light is not the correct frequency; two the ebay light is too weak, or three, we do not have the exposure figured out (i.e., whether it works better once per week, twice a week, or every day). The doctor office light machines usually recommend one treatment per week, but I cannot explain why that would be the case. Sorry this did not work out as hoped. Thanks for trying the lights, and for helping others to make an informed decision! Best regards, Dan

Hi There!!

Thank you very much for sharing your experience! I really appreciate it, and I know those reading this do too!

I have read similar posts from others using the ebay lamps, and am beginning to feel the same way.

I messaged mikeye too, because I know he was using the same lamps, but he has yet to respond, looks as if he has not been on acne.org in quite some time.

So I think I am going to give the lights a break and see what happens. Keeping the rest of my regimen the same: DKR 2.5% BP, 10% AHA lotion, trying to eat healthier + taking vitamin supplements.

I will report soon on how the experiment goes.

Best wishes everyone!

Well, there are always two sides to every coin as they say.

Since I stopped using the eBay lights, I immediately noticed a significant reduction in breakouts. However, the few breakouts that I did have, persisted far longer than when I was using the lights. And to top it off, some old marks (that were not even a bump) became active once more.

I believe the eBay lights are still helpful, and I think Dan is right:

we do not have the exposure figured out (i.e., whether it works better once per week, twice a week, or every day).

Thanks for continuing to experiment with the lights. I really appreciate your efforts and "scientific" approach to this. If you figure out something that works, maybe my daugher will take the two lights back again! Too bad we did not hear back from our other tester. Hope nothing bad happened to him! -Dan

Well, there are always two sides to every coin as they say.

Since I stopped using the eBay lights, I immediately noticed a significant reduction in breakouts. However, the few breakouts that I did have, persisted far longer than when I was using the lights. And to top it off, some old marks (that were not even a bump) became active once more.

I believe the eBay lights are still helpful, and I think Dan is right:

we do not have the exposure figured out (i.e., whether it works better once per week, twice a week, or every day).

I think these lights can still be very beneficial when we figure out proper exposure. From the testing that has been conducted, I believe we can conclude that daily usage is likely to perpetuate the breakout cycle.

Though I have also concluded that the lights dramatically reduce the time that a lesion is "active", and prevent inactive lesions from returning.

So, I am going to begin using the lights again, but with only one treatment per week, starting today. If that doesn't change much, I will step it up to twice a week.

I will make a report as soon as I see results.

Thus, the testing resumes.

Take care everyone,

Best wishes!

Thanks for sharing your data/experience. I don't know if my daughter is "the other tester" referred to in this thread or not, but she has not used the light enough for me to draw any conclusions. She is so busy that most weeks I have been unable to get her to use it. It's a shame since, given that she is allergic to BP and gets minimal help from S-acid, she'd be a good candidate for blue-light. Oh well...

Thanks for sharing your data/experience. I don't know if my daughter is "the other tester" referred to in this thread or not, but she has not used the light enough for me to draw any conclusions. She is so busy that most weeks I have been unable to get her to use it. It's a shame since, given that she is allergic to BP and gets minimal help from S-acid, she'd be a good candidate for blue-light. Oh well...

Well, a quick update here. So far so good, I've been using the lamps once every six days in combination with everything else. And right now I have no active zits. A few red marks still linger but they fade with each passing day. Skin is still rather dry and somewhat red, but that I'm sure has to do with the fact that there is a foot of snow outside, and I'm using 10% glycolic acid.

So yeah, hope this lasts, will update again in another week or so.

Take care everyone.

Well, a quick update here. So far so good, I've been using the lamps once every six days in combination with everything else. And right now I have no active zits. A few red marks still linger but they fade with each passing day. Skin is still rather dry and somewhat red, but that I'm sure has to do with the fact that there is a foot of snow outside, and I'm using 10% glycolic acid.

So yeah, hope this lasts, will update again in another week or so.

Take care everyone.

Well, time for another update. Obviously not having any active zits in the previous update was too good to last. But I've only gotten a few since then, and they heal fairly quickly. I have to say that what I'm doing right now is working well, although my "regimen", as they call it, is somewhat involved. Primarily it consists of twice daily application of both the DKR 2.5% BP, and 10% glycolic acid lotion, together with taking a score of vitamins/supplement, followed by using the blue lights every six days. Right now my main problem is redness/irritation. As I previously stated: my conclusion from testing the blue lights is that they effectively prevent inactive breakouts from becoming active once more, and speed up the healing process for active lesions. Once every six days appears to be fairly sufficient at doing this, although I have been contemplating stepping it up to every four days. Perhaps I will try it if I'm feeling brave...

Anyway, I will likely be moving my treatment log to the "Personal Regimen Logs" section soon, as it has come to involve much more than the lights alone. When I do this I will post specifically what all products and supplements I am using/taking daily, together with the assumed schedule of blue light treatment. Thereafter I will be doing some fine-tuning, in hopes of getting totally clear and staying that way. So for those interested in it, watch for my home treatment log coming to the "Personal Regimen Logs" section in the weeks to come.

Until then, I want to send a big thank you to Dan (blacksheiladog) and all those whom have followed this blue light treatment log.

Take care

Well, time for another update. Obviously not having any active zits in the previous update was too good to last. But I've only gotten a few since then, and they heal fairly quickly. I have to say that what I'm doing right now is working well, although my "regimen", as they call it, is somewhat involved. Primarily it consists of twice daily application of both the DKR 2.5% BP, and 10% glycolic acid lotion, together with taking a score of vitamins/supplement, followed by using the blue lights every six days. Right now my main problem is redness/irritation. As I previously stated: my conclusion from testing the blue lights is that they effectively prevent inactive breakouts from becoming active once more, and speed up the healing process for active lesions. Once every six days appears to be fairly sufficient at doing this, although I have been contemplating stepping it up to every four days. Perhaps I will try it if I'm feeling brave...

Anyway, I will likely be moving my treatment log to the "Personal Regimen Logs" section soon, as it has come to involve much more than the lights alone. When I do this I will post specifically what all products and supplements I am using/taking daily, together with the assumed schedule of blue light treatment. Thereafter I will be doing some fine-tuning, in hopes of getting totally clear and staying that way. So for those interested in it, watch for my home treatment log coming to the "Personal Regimen Logs" section in the weeks to come.

Until then, I want to send a big thank you to Dan (blacksheiladog) and all those whom have followed this blue light treatment log.

Take care

Well, still going strong. I have had no active breakouts for a while. Admittedly, the BP makes it take longer for red marks to fade, but I believe some of the supplements I'm taking help counteract this.

I posted my new "Home Treatment Log" in the 'personal regimen logs' section. Even though as we know, nothing will work for everyone, I still feel that some of the products and especially supplements I'm using could really help some people with similar skin to mine. Ask me in the new log if you are interested.

For a full list of what I'm using/taking to maintain skin clarity please check it out:

Best wishes Dan and everyone, see you in the new thread!

Just wanted to update here... I've been still using the Red Light handheld and it's working great for acne marks and evening out my skin tone. It's great for fine lines and wrinkles I don't have any of these but I've been treating my aunt with it and shes been raving the results... The red light I use is called Lightstim it's pretty expensive. If your lucky find it on ebay and buy it cheaper there. The red light has been great in healing my breakouts. I still do get breakouts but not as much as before I'm loving this handheld light!!