Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elevate

"80% of feeling good is looking good"

so i just watched a television commercial for hair replacement. in it, one of the guys who just had the procedure claims that "80% of feeling good is looking good"...now don't get me wrong, this commercial was way info-cheesy, and i may be considered vain...but do you think there is any truth to this statement? i think we can all relate this to how we feel about our acne.

there are many things that make me feel good....a good song, helping others, watching babies laugh, etc., but i would say that falls into the 20%. the other 80% i must admit, i'm thinking about looking good for the opposite sex...maybe there is some truth to it?

sort of. but it doesnt have to be.

for example, when my skin was at its worst (was pretty bad), i basically never looked in the mirrior except to put cream on and wash my face. i would never look at reflections or anything at all... it definitely helped. that went on for a few months. then i realized diet is one of the biggest causes of acne, and after a little while most of it went away.

so i just watched a television commercial for hair replacement. in it, one of the guys who just had the procedure claims that "80% of feeling good is looking good"...now don't get me wrong, this commercial was way info-cheesy, and i may be considered vain...but do you think there is any truth to this statement? i think we can all relate this to how we feel about our acne.

there are many things that make me feel good....a good song, helping others, watching babies laugh, etc., but i would say that falls into the 20%. the other 80% i must admit, i'm thinking about looking good for the opposite sex...maybe there is some truth to it?

Certainly true. I absolutely agree to the previous statement "Glass Danse" - I cant look at mirrors..Looking at mirrors would just mess me up thinking what horrible condition Im/was in. Waking up in the morning you would just hope everything has cleared away, yet youre met with devastation that theres a new spot on the lose...Again!

When I had my worst outbreaks I didnt feel good - AT ALL! I didnt go out when it was light - I usually came out after dark. Didnt go clubbing cus that would mean other people would have to look at you and probably not be pleased by the sight. When I was acne-free for 18 months I was out 3x a week, boozing and mingling with the girls. How can I do that with a dotted face? Its one of those things that just destroys my confidence and brings it down to null. 80% is certainly a value I would estimate makes me happy by - a clean face.

I definitely beleive it. Most of the time I mope around feeling sorry for myself and just hating life, and I honestly think the main reason is because I can't get over how ugly I am. It really just sucks.. there are times when my friends are at a really fun party or whatnot and I'll make up some lame excuse not to go because my skin looks particularly bad that night =/

I think it's true. When my skin is at its most clear I feel amazing and confident. Last week I developed a massive whitehead under my nose and could barely look anyone in the eye, I felt so gross.

Looks are everything

Looks are NOT everything. That's straight-up BS. Maybe to the world, but not to God, and that's where it truly counts in the end. Everyone is beautiful in heaven.

"Men judge by outward appearance, but I look at a man's thoughts and intentions."

--God

I think it is the other way around.

I think feeling good influences how others see you. Projecting an image of confidence despite what the state of your skin is like makes you seem like an attractive, outgoing and bubbly individual.

I think feeling good influences how others see you. Projecting an image of confidence despite what the state of your skin is like makes you seem like an attractive, outgoing and bubbly individual.

I dont like that, When someone describes themselves as bubbly its usually to compensate for the fact they are unattractive. Of course not always the case, just more often then not Ive noticed

Looks are everything

Looks are NOT everything. That's straight-up BS. Maybe to the world, but not to God, and that's where it truly counts in the end. Everyone is beautiful in heaven.

"Men judge by outward appearance, but I look at a man's thoughts and intentions."

--God

What a beautiful thing to say: JustAnotherOne

I agree, I think the converse of the original statement is probably more accurate than the original statement: 80% of looking good is feeling good.

Looks are everything

--God

yes, but what if god doesnt exist? Then the only thing that matters is the world, and then we are all truly ugly and it does mean everything! :think:

I agree, I think the converse of the original statement is probably more accurate than the original statement: 80% of looking good is feeling good.

I agree!

I don't think so. A huge part of feeling good is having goals/ambitions in life and working towards them. Without having some sort of purpose and feeling of working towards an accomplishment life feels less fulfilling. Looking good counts as a goal you can work towards and people are constantly doing it (evolutionary instinct), so it falls into that category which as a WHOLE would be like 80%.

Looks are everything

--God

yes, but what if god doesnt exist? Then the only thing that matters is the world, and then we are all truly ugly and it does mean everything! :think:

But God DOES exist, so there's no need to fret. You don't have to take my word for it, but someday you'll find out inevitably. Christ has "proven" Himself to me many times since I became a believer, to the point where He's as real to me as anyone I know on this earth. If He wasn't real then yes you're right, we would have no hope at all, and what would be the point of living really. But once you realize there's an alternate spiritual reality after this life that goes by a completely different value system than the world? To me, that's almost too good to be true! I'm not saying I don't have days where I struggle with feeling/being ugly and that is all I can think about, (I have many) but it sure helps a ton to remember that after I take my last breath here, I'll no longer feel any pain, hurt, rejection what have you ever again, and nothing but pure, primal joy for all eternity. Puts things in perspective.

I actually agree with the reverse now. When I am out at parties and I see people with acne problems, the people who are still outgoing and clearly having a lot of fun, I completely look past their skin. The people with bad skin who look more upset or something, I can tell that their skin is negatively affecting them. The way they let their skin negatively affect them is not attractive, it is not their skin.

If you feel good from the inside, this will shine through to the outside, no matter what you look like.

Beauty and confidence comes from within.

All orgers should check out the movie 'Shallow Hal'

Looks are everything

heaven help you when you get to 60 plus then

But God DOES exist, so there's no need to fret. You don't have to take my word for it, but someday you'll find out inevitably. Christ has "proven" Himself to me many times since I became a believer, to the point where He's as real to me as anyone I know on this earth. If He wasn't real then yes you're right, we would have no hope at all, and what would be the point of living really. But once you realize there's an alternate spiritual reality after this life that goes by a completely different value system than the world? To me, that's almost too good to be true! I'm not saying I don't have days where I struggle with feeling/being ugly and that is all I can think about, (I have many) but it sure helps a ton to remember that after I take my last breath here, I'll no longer feel any pain, hurt, rejection what have you ever again, and nothing but pure, primal joy for all eternity. Puts things in perspective.

Question, why doesnt god show himself to people when they arent believers? Why does it seem he only shows signs to people that look for them? Maybe you could be seeing things and just WANT to believe they are from god?

Ok, just because you are convinced he exist doesnt mean he is real, does it? He can be real for you... if he has shown you through experiences, but that doesnt make it for sure. I could be convinced there is a tiny blue elf in my cereal in the morning, and you cannot disprove me until i finish it, right?

On either note, i guess we will see when we die. (or not.)

I dont know, i dont like your philosophy. its like you are living your life looking forward to a day when all the pain goes away. I dont know, if you are going to live like that, why not just kill yourself and go straight to heaven where everything is all better... you know what i mean? Or if that is against your relgion, go to Iran and preach in the streets.... same outcome in the end.

Im just playing devils advocate here... so dont go trying to convert me. :D

--God

That may be true when we are six feet under, but we are currently dealing with the here and now. Where looks count for a hella lot.

I too feel like a million bucks when I don't have any breakouts or pigmentation/discoloration issues. Actually I never feel like a million bucks anymore because I have ugly scars that will linger for years until I get some procedures done on them. Man, I hope I can feel like a million bucks again someday! Until then just feeling ok will have to suffice.

But when the breakouts and discoloration come to the forefront, then it's time to coop up in the room and wait it out. Sigh

I can't deny that my first goal in life is to become totally and perfectly beautiful! Kinda lame when you think about it... And a scary thought: what will I do once I acheive this!?? What will be my next goal??

Btw, I also like to believe there will be a time after we die that we will at last feel really good about ourselves and stop worrying about our appearance. I take belief in God as a challenge we all have to pass (which explains why he doesn't appear to us and force us to believe). Maybe that's how the whole spiritual system works! lol

On a side note, I also believe that it was our own souls that made a choice about these flawed bodies we live in now, so I can't really blame God for that...

Question, why doesnt god show himself to people when they arent believers? Why does it seem he only shows signs to people that look for them? Maybe you could be seeing things and just WANT to believe they are from god?

Ok, just because you are convinced he exist doesnt mean he is real, does it? He can be real for you... if he has shown you through experiences, but that doesnt make it for sure. I could be convinced there is a tiny blue elf in my cereal in the morning, and you cannot disprove me until i finish it, right?

On either note, i guess we will see when we die. (or not.)

I dont know, i dont like your philosophy. its like you are living your life looking forward to a day when all the pain goes away. I dont know, if you are going to live like that, why not just kill yourself and go straight to heaven where everything is all better... you know what i mean? Or if that is against your relgion, go to Iran and preach in the streets.... same outcome in the end.

Im just playing devils advocate here... so dont go trying to convert me. :D

Even though I hate the concept of religion and had to stop myself posting a reply to that persons post earlier I have to say one thing --- Let him be, let him believe whatever he wants, he's not trying to convert anyone, merely sharing the way he deals with this problem.

And plus trying to tell a religious person that God doesnt exist is like trying to explain the benefits of certain drugs to an anti drugs person = Impossible.