Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
seven_star_glory

Is it rosacea?(I know you've heard it 100 times...)

I know there are a million of these threads with people asking, "Is this rosacea?".

I know it must be very annoying. But I really would appreciate your input.

I think it is important to note that I have put a lot of time into researching the disease and am 90% sure I have papulopustular rosacea.

It's quite strange how I first developed my current symptoms. I had bought a hat from Goodwill. I decided to put it on one night, had it there for about 20 minutes, and all of a sudden my forehead started to itch extremely bad. So I took it off, hoping the itching would go away. It didn't. Instead, my entire forehead became dotted with tiny red bumps that itched and burned. These little bumps have yet to go away. It has been well over a month. Most of the time the bumps are flesh colored, but when they get irritated (which sometimes seems to happen for no reason whatsoever) they get extremely red and itch like crazy. The weird thing is that these bumps are now accompanied by papules all over my forehead and hairline. It's even spread to my chin now.

Three weeks after my mysterious rash appeared, I went to the doctor. I told her I was almost postive I had rosacea. I had acne for about six years. I know what kind of acne I get. This is not it.

She told me I was wrong, that I did in fact have acne and gave me oral antibiotics and two topical creams. Well, the topical creams have only irritated my skin and made my mystery rash worse.

So...what is your input on my condition. I know none of you are dermatologists (I'm going to go see one of those in a week), but I would love to know what you think.Rosacea possibly? Yay or nay?

I also changed my diet a few weeks before this rash flared up. I stopped consuming dairy and opted for soy. My culprit perhaps?

Attatched are pictures of my current condition. View with caution. It's gross.

post-67039-1199511909_thumb.jpg

post-67039-1199511952_thumb.jpg

post-67039-1199512168_thumb.jpg

Hopefully, you can actually see these. I bet they'll be really small. Also, note that they were taken in bright light. The severity of how many bumps I actually have doesn't quite translate...

post-67039-1199511909_thumb.jpg

post-67039-1199511952_thumb.jpg

post-67039-1199512168_thumb.jpg

I am sorry to hear you are having problems w/ your skin.

I can assure 100% that you do not have rosacea.

I am not trying to be mean here, but you obviously did not research Rosacea correctly.

As it is said clearly, the number one symptom of Rosacea is flushing, it is when the skin gets hot, and red. papules/pastules are only apparent in the later stage of Rosacea.

Plus if you read, Rosacea is not contagious. You cannot get it from wearing a hobo's hat.

I am sorry for being harsh here. I understand you are concerned and are obviously reaching out for advice, but sometimes you can answer the question yourself by really doing the research that you say you did.

You have no redness/flushing...so Rosacea is def. not what you are dealing with.

Trust your derm when they tell you something like this.

I am not sure what your condition is, my guess maybe lice? I dont know. but not for another second, even ponder the notion of you having rosacea.

I appreciate your being blunt. THe thing is though, I do have flushing. My face is constantly red and when I have "flare ups", it gets really red and hot. Plus, it itches.

You're most likely right, though. I'm going to the derm in about a week and she'll tell me what's up with my skin. I don't know why, but I have this feeling that I am reacting to some kind of allergy.

Thank you for your help.

I am sorry to hear you are having problems w/ your skin.

I can assure 100% that you do not have rosacea.

I am not trying to be mean here, but you obviously did not research Rosacea correctly.

As it is said clearly, the number one symptom of Rosacea is flushing, it is when the skin gets hot, and red. papules/pastules are only apparent in the later stage of Rosacea.

Plus if you read, Rosacea is not contagious. You cannot get it from wearing a hobo's hat.

I am sorry for being harsh here. I understand you are concerned and are obviously reaching out for advice, but sometimes you can answer the question yourself by really doing the research that you say you did.

You have no redness/flushing...so Rosacea is def. not what you are dealing with.

Trust your derm when they tell you something like this.

I am not sure what your condition is, my guess maybe lice? I dont know. but not for another second, even ponder the notion of you having rosacea.

Is it possible that bacteria got into your pores and spread around? That can cause redness and irritation, if it's in the skin. If that's the case, then antibiotics should kill it, in time. Hope things improve really quickly for you!

it looks like your forehead and temples have developed thicker skin, that would cause the redness :S

i forget what the medical condition is called though, search it up

:)

I don't think it's rosacea. IMO, if you had that much outbreak from rosacea, I'd expect significantly more redness. My first impression was that it looked allergic.

Exactly what topical medications were you prescribed? How frequently are you using them? Have you used them consistently? When was the last time you used them?

the first thing that came to me was that it could have been a fungus or yeast from the cap, since it was bought at goodwill and may have been a hobo's or something. Differant fungus' can cause rashing that is similar but different than that from the bacterium p. acnes. I suggest getting a skin biopsy from your derm to c if its bacteria or something else causing it.

Hi -

I don't think it's Rosacea. I agree with some of the others it's bacterial, like a rash with acne mixed in.

I have Rosacea and the characteristics are pink cheeks, nose, chin and/or forehead. Flushing and blushing is a strong characteristic of Rosacea. Also, before you got this rash or spreading, was your face more whiter? If so, again, I don't think it's Rosacea. Also, please double-check ASAP what the Dr. prescribed you. If it's a steroid cream, like hydro-cortisone stuff, I would not put it on your face at all (or if you do put it on for 1-2 weeks MAX). You can get steroid induced Rosacea from steriod-cortisone creams. I'm not a Dr. but the "cycline" medicines could clear this up - Minocyline in particular. If not, get on Accutane. It will kill this beast quick.

Good luck. Change Derm's if you need to. You need to get some working med's.

Take care.

Yvette

Accutane can actually make this sort of thing worse, depending on the causative bacteria/fungi...

I agree though that it looks/sounds allergic. Like suggested also try and get your derm to do a culture and sensitivity test, that will tell you what is causing the problem and what antibiotic/antifungal will knock it out. If you end up getting stuck, trying nizoral wouldn't do much harm, if it responds you know you are dealing with a fungi and not bacteria. They may of already given you a nizoral cream to try, and if that is the cause of the flare then it will be bacterial.

As already said it's 100% not rosacea, it came on to suddenly for that...

Thank you everyone for the responses.

My derm put me on Finacea. I've been on that for about a month and a half. Now the little bumps all over my face have turned into full blown acne.

I don't know if the Finacea is drawing the junk out of my skin, or if it is causing me to breakout. I'm on minocycline as well. I shouldn't be breaking out.

I'm going on accutane in about 30 days. Can't wait.

Isn't Finacea for rosacea? Since your skin is hot and itchy I would say it's fungal as well. Ask your doctor to take a scraping or maybe they will prescribe some Diflucan and see if that helps with the rash/ breakout.

So rosacea has no relation to a fungal overgrowth on the face? About 6 moths ago I have a rash all over my body and my doctor put me on Diflucan and my skin never looked better (the rash wasn't even on my face ironically) so I'm wondering if my bad skin isn't something fungal related. LIke a yeast overgrowth in my system. I had my doctor run some blood work and I should know next week. I don't have acne like I used to when I was younger. My breakouts and red bumps are different. Sometimes they have nothing in them. My checks, nose and chin are always red and my skin is very sensitive. I'm at a loss anymore.

Good luck finding out what is wrong with your skin. I know how frustrating it can be.

Hey this sort of looks like what I have but mines on both sides of my cheeks and its so fustrating having to deal with this. I went to my derm she gave me some sterioids and I used it and things have gotten worse for me. Im not sure what to do anymore probably going to go to a walk in clinic and get another referral to a different derm but damn its killing me..

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Hey-Guys-...ed-t191099.html

thats the thread I made and some pics