Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lightspeed

Trying to gradually fix my diet - need help.

Well I'm trying bit by bit to clean up my diet to improve acne. I have cut out all my usual snacks, cakes, chips, biscuits, candy, those candy yogurt things. No more junk.

1. So now I want to tackle the rest of my diet. What are the things I should be cutting down on?
  2. I would say my diet is fairly high in carbs just from meals, I eat pasta a lot. Normally about 2 or 3 times a week as a meal. Eat lots of sandwiches for lunch and cereal for breakfast. So cutting down on carbs should help?
  3. I eat quite a lot of fruit/veg and always have done. On average I have about 2 apples a day, a salad with dinner which will also have vegetables in it. And my sandwiches at lunch are normally packed with lettuce. Fruit/veg is all good?
  4. Any suggestions for some snacks that would be good? I'm finding it hard when I'm getting hungry between meals to know what to eat, normally I have an apple but I can only eat so many. So.. any good ideas for snacks?
  5. Also for school I make my own sandwiches which I take. Normally filled will chicken and mayo, good idea? Or should I try something with less carbs? Need suggestions for lunches I can take to school.
  6. So really, I don't know which route of diet I am going to take with my acne. Just cut junk out is all I know and possibly avoid carbs a bit more like grain and wheat? Also.. avoid dairy? And what about whey protein supplements?
Thanks

Yes, fruit and veg is all good unless you happen to have an allergy or intolerance to something.

I have a suggestion for breakfast to replace the cereal. Baked sweet potato slices. I slice them about a 1/4 - 1/2" thick, pour a little oil in a baking sheet and smear them around in it to coat, then bake them at about 350. I takes less than 10 minutes. Have them with a little butter and a sprinkling of sugar. They have that sweet flavor we associate with breakfast, are very filling, and are loaded with beta carotene. Still a carb, but a complex carb and a nutrient dense food.

Common problems for acne include dairy and gluten. Also, a lot of people in the US eat a lot of omega 6 fats and not enough omega 3. Ideal ratios are around 3:1 omega 6:omega 3, although there are no established reccomendations. Do a little reading about omega 6 fats and where they come from and try to get some more omega 3's (salmon is a great sources, flax seeds also, there are more). Also, when eating salmon, if you are able to find out, get Atlantic salmon rather than farm raised. It sounds like you are getting enough antioxidants from your fruit/veggie consumption.

Processed anything = bad. Try to decrease processed foods and increase number of whole/natural foods.

Acne caused by food is often a digestion problem. You will want to get foods that will improve your digestion. I know that pineapple is a good fruit for digestion. Yogurt with probiotics is good (probiotics are always good). When eating red meat, wild meat/pasture fed meat are good, grain fed meats are not very good.

Taurine and vitamin B's have been getting a good rep although I personally think there are better things out there.

Foods with low Glycemic Index are good (cause much less severe insulin spikes, better for the skin). A diet to consider is an anti-inflammatory diet. I would at least look into that if you have inflamed acne. Also, things that stimulate your metabolism are likely going to be good for your digestive system, and therefore is possible it will help your skin.

Also, 2L of water a day, straight water. Some people have a lot of success with drinking green tea (real green tea, not sobe or anything).

I would expect cutting carbs to help.

Your fruits/vegs sound good.

Mayo I think is horrible. It is just plain fat. Get mustard, honey mustard, something else.

When eating pasta, see if your family will try out whole grain pasta.

I would give colon cleansing a shot, it worked amazing well for me and I am seeing a lot people trying them out.

I rambled a little bit but just felt like giving out all the tips I had. Reduce stress and increase sleep if possible.

Hm, also keep in mind that your eating the right vegetables. Iceberg lettuce has very little nutritional value. What has helped me alot is green smoothies (theres a topic here about it). I've basically cut out all the veges from my diet except for green smoothies (a pitcher a day) and it probably gives me more than enough vitamins and minerals that I would normally get from veges that I would eat. Eating anymore veges makes me use the restroom too frequently, which probably means that I would get all the vits and mins from the smoothie. Definetly give it a try (use kale and spinach, works wonders).

Well I'm trying bit by bit to clean up my diet to improve acne. I have cut out all my usual snacks, cakes, chips, biscuits, candy, those candy yogurt things. No more junk.
  1. So now I want to tackle the rest of my diet. What are the things I should be cutting down on?

2. I would say my diet is fairly high in carbs just from meals, I eat pasta a lot. Normally about 2 or 3 times a week as a meal. Eat lots of sandwiches for lunch and cereal for breakfast. So cutting down on carbs should help?

Several people need carbs and even starches.

What I mean is not that they can't survive without them but their functons are optimized by eating starches. For example certain people are dependent on the mechanism by which tryptophan is turned into serotonin, mechanism which is activated by charbs. Others can't keep their blood sugars level and high enough without some starches and they feel spacey forever. Others again can't replenish liver glycogen well enough on no carbs and they start suffering from unrestfull and stressfull sleeping. Others again can't spare their muscles as well without carbs and no matter how many proteins they gulp down, muscle breakdown is increase for them while no carbing. Others just can't stand the sudden withdrawal from going cold turkey.

So keep eating your pasta (make it whole pasta) but decrease the amount.

Have very little portions of pasta as your starch and fill the rest of your plate with abundant veggies. High portions of pasta and bread are common mistakes easily and better solved by severaly reducing the servings sizes.

Your meal shouldn't be pasta alone. I've come to the conclusion after all the reading and trials that on average modern human do better on a balance of carbohydrates and proteins at every meal, with fats being rather neutral. Carbohydrates and proteins balance each other and one maximize the good effects of the other while dimizing the bad effects.

So I considered a meal of just pasta an unbalanced meal.

Try to adopt the eyeball method

- Take a big plate

- Fill 1/4 of it with an healthy carb

- Fill 1/4 of it with an health protein

- Overfill the rest 2/4 with fats and veggies

So let's say you have a large plate of pasta at lunch and a large portion of roast at supper.

Your body is way happier if you divide the pasta and roast servings in two and have pasta + roast at lunch and pasta + roast at dinner. This alone would make a big difference in your health and sense well being.

Thanks for all your helps guys. Will be trying some of it out.

Still need to clarify though, is whey protein supplement ok? I'm taking about 50-75 grams of the stuff each day. Should it case any problems for acne?

Still need to clarify though, is whey protein supplement ok? I'm taking about 50-75 grams of the stuff each day. Should it case any problems for acne?

Also, when eating salmon, if you are able to find out, get Atlantic salmon rather than farm raised...

Mayo I think is horrible. It is just plain fat. Get mustard, ....

attn lightspeed

try pgx fibre and chances are you may not even need to change your diet. I'm gonna try this tomorrow.

I have cut out all my usual snacks, cakes, chips, biscuits, candy, those candy yogurt things. No more junk.