Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm getting really sick of acne around my lips, so now I'm declaring war. I noticed my Lip Smackers and Chapstick are both pretty comedogenic.

I found Paula's Choice "Lipscreen", which looks like a safer replacement for my SPF Chapstick. Wheat germ oil is highly comedogenic, but at the very end of the ingredients list.

I already own a couple Bobbi Brown Lip Glosses, but a few of the ingredients are rated a 2 out of 5 for comedogenicity. (I haven't been wearing them a lot, so I doubt they've caused any of my current acne.) Normally, I'd be okay with 2's, but there're a bunch of them. ***I forgot to look up the pigments, the reds make it a little more comedogenic. What I listed below isn't for my specific lip glosses, though, so the pigments probably vary.*** It kind of sucks that it has to be fragranced, too, but I don't find it nauseating like I do most "fragrances". Opinions?

Btw, I'd love, love, love to have the option of a tinted lip balm, but I can't find one with few comedogenic ingredients. I was getting really attached to my Cotton Candy Lip Smacker, too. Damn it and its light pink seduction! EM looked good, but coconut oil is pretty high up in the ingredients. Ditto for Burt's Bees. ***Actually, I just found Paula's Choice Sheer Cream Lipstick SPF 15, and I think it looks okay, so maybe I'll try that.***

Here're the ingredients for Bobbi Brown lip glosses, in case anyone's interested:

"Lip Gloss:

Polybutene, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Lanolin Oil , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Bisabolol, Tocopherol , Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate , Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Fragrance (Parfum), Benzyl Benzoate , Phenoxyethanol, [+/- Mica, Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Iron Oxides (Ci 77491, Ci77492,Ci77499), Red 7 Lake (Ci 15850), Blue 1 Lake (Ci 42090), Red 6 (Ci 15850) , Yellow 6 Lake (Ci 15985), Yellow 5 (Ci 19140), Red 28 Lake (Ci 45410) , Red 33 Lake (Ci 17200), Carmine (Ci 75470) , Yellow 5 Lake (Ci 19140)]"

"Shimmer Lip Gloss:

Polybutene, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil , Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Lanolin Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Bisabolol , Tocopherol , Retinyl Palmitate , Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil , Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate , Fragrance (Parfum) , Benzyl Benzoate, Phenoxyethanol , [+/- Mica , Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Iron Oxides (Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499), Red 7 Lake (Ci 15850) , Yellow 5 Lake (Ci 19140), Red 30 (Ci 73360), Red 6 (Ci 15850) , Yellow 6 Lake (Ci 15985) , Red 33 (Ci 17200), Carmine (Ci 75470) , Blue 1 Lake (Ci 42090) , Yellow 10 (Ci 47005) , Red 22 Lake (Ci 45380) , Red 30 Lake (Ci 73360) , Yellow 10 Lake (Ci 47005) , Red 22 (Ci 45380), Yellow 5 (Ci 19140) , Red 28 Lake (Ci 45410) , Orange 5 (Ci 45370) , Red 21 (Ci 45380)]"

*font formatting added by me, mostly because I'm a nerd and think it makes it look prettier.

And the ingredients for Paula's Choice lipscreen:

"Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.0%, Titanium Dioxide 2.0%, and Oxybenzone 2.5% (all sunscreen agents).

Other Ingredients: Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Petrolatum, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (emollients), Beeswax (natural wax-based thickener), C10-30 Cholesterol/Lanosterol Esters (emollient/thickeners), Hydrogenated Polyisobutene (thickener), Lanolin (emollient), Microcrystalline Wax, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax (emollient thickeners), Ceresin (thickener), Diisostearyl Trimethylolpropane Siloxy Silicate, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil (emollients), Tocopheryl Acetate (antioxidant), Trihydroxystearin, Stearic Acid (thickeners), Aluminum Hydroxide (opacifying agent), Propylparaben (preservative)."

Edit: My boyfriend just handed me a lip balm put out by the school of agriculture at our university. Its ingredients are thus: white beeswax, olive oil, jojoba oil, vitamin e, and "essential oil". On a 0 to 5 scale of comedogenicity, those are: 0-2, 2, 0-2, 0, and ???. Idk. It sounds better than some at least . . .

how about a pure vitamin e stick...they sell them at walmart for .98 cents. or simple carmex in the tube or pot?

how about a pure vitamin e stick...they sell them at walmart for .98 cents. or simple carmex in the tube or pot?

Thanks for answering! :) (And for answering on all my other threads today, it seems). I didn't realize my post was so long. Yeesh, I talk too much.

Hmm, I've never heard of a vitamin E stick before, I'll look into that. I'm guessing Carmex might have some of the same problems as Chapstick? I'll google around for it, though. From what I've looked at, it seems like they have to stick some pore-clogging ingredients in there to keep it solid (a theory). Maybe it's the liquidy emollients that are safe for your skin? Actually, I heard the issue with comedogenic ingredients is that they are able to solidify in your pores, so maybe that's the deal with solid versus liquid.

As an update, I've gone and started carrying a purse around with me when I'm not carrying my book bag, just so I can tote my tube of petroleum jelly everywhere. Well, it's nice that I can fit a water bottle in there, too, I guess . . .

I kinda snuck a swipe of that of Cotton Candy Lip Smackers in this morning, though. :( It seduced me with its sweet pinkness!

the vitamin e stick comes in a white tube with gold lettering. you can find it in the vitamin aisle along with the vitamins. i think it cost .98 cents. i use it during the day and at night before i go to bed. i'll see if i can load an image or find the name of it. i bought it at walmart.

Ive been having a lot of breakouts along my lips too! Well that has to happen because you are my twin :razz: I wonder if the bobbi brown lipstick is comedogenic