Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JennaBabe

Jenna's Regimen

I've finally decided to start a regimen log, because it's very hard for me to keep track of my skincare routine and changes in the condition of my skin on a day-to-day basis. I think that by keeping this log, I will be able to track the condition of my skin better to be able to more easily determine if the products I'm using are working for me.

My current regimen is:

Morning:

wash with Johnson's Head to Toe baby wash

apply Nucelle 10% Mandelic Acid

wait 30 minutes (or as long as possible if I'm in a hurry)

apply Paula's Choice 2% BHA gel

wait 15 minutes (if I have time)

apply Fruit of the Earth Aloe gel mixed with Cerave moisturizing lotion

Night:

wash with Johnson's Head to Toe baby wash using the Baby Brush method of exfoliation

use Dickenson's witch hazel toner on a cotton ball (only if I wore makeup that day)

spot treat any inflamed acne with the Nucelle mandelic acid and wait 15-30 minutes

apply Green Cream level 3 and wait 30 minutes

apply Fruit of the Earth aloe gel mixed with Cerave moisturizing lotion if necessary

I've been changing my regimen around the last few months, but have been on this exact regimen for about a week now. I've been using the mandelic acid for a little over a month I think, and the paula's choice salicylic acid for 2-3 months I think. I just started the Green Cream 9 days ago, and I think I'm starting to see the initial breakout. I currently have 3 active inflamed acne spots. I picked at one of them last night, and now I have a scab on that one, but the other two I've left alone. They are red and inflamed, but have no head on them. I have very few blackheads left on my nose and on my cheeks next to my nose, where I usually have a lot of problems with blackheads.

I'm going to stay on this regimen and see if I can get my skin totally cleared. Before I started the Green Cream, and up until about 2 days ago, I would have described myself as having very mild acne, but today I would bump it up to mild. Without any treatment I have moderate acne, with breakouts occuring mostly on my cheeks and chin, with blackheads on my chin, cheeks, and nose. I also have a lot of red marks from previous breakouts, so my skin looks much worse than it actually is, because all those red marks look like breakouts, so it looks like I have much more acne than I really do. I have noticed that my red marks are starting to fade very slowly, I think because of the mandelic acid.

My main problem is inflamed acne. I very rarely get cysts. I do get blackheads, but the SA and MA seem to be controlling them very well.

I use Johnsons's Head To Toe as well - how do you feel about it? I'm torn between using something that targets my red marks or staying with Head To Toe because I know that it is okay with my skin...

My skin sounds a lot like yours - I don't have large breakouts but the red marks I have make my skin look a lot more active than it is.

HI there,

Thanks for sharing. I read about that Green cream on someone else's post.....is it common to have an initial breakout with this product?

HI there,

Thanks for sharing. I read about that Green cream on someone else's post.....is it common to have an initial breakout with this product?

I use Johnsons's Head To Toe as well - how do you feel about it? I'm torn between using something that targets my red marks or staying with Head To Toe because I know that it is okay with my skin...

My skin sounds a lot like yours - I don't have large breakouts but the red marks I have make my skin look a lot more active than it is.

I just woke up a little while ago, washed my face, and applied the Nucelle Mandelic. I'll wait a half hour before I apply the SA. What I'm going to do is do my regular morning routine and leave the products on my face until I take a shower in about 2-2 1/2 hours to get ready for work. I'm a bartender, so I wear somewhat heavy makeup for work, and I noticed with the makeup I wear, if I put it on top of all my face products, the makeup tends to turn a darker, orangy color after a while. So what I'm going to do on days I have to work is do my normal morning routine right when I wake up, and try to leave the products on my face as long as I can, and then just rinse my face in the shower when I'm getting ready for work, and then just use a little moisturizer lotion under my makeup.

The 3 active breakouts I had yesterday are starting to go away, and I have no new ones today. Maybe this wasn't an initial breakout from the retinol, because I only got 3, and don't have any new ones today? Maybe it was just a regular breakout for whatever reason. It's just weird, because ever since I started the Mandelic Acid, I haven't had more than 1 or 2 breakouts at a time, but all of a sudden a few days ago I woke up with 3 new ones. Oh well..... The scab that was on one of them has come off, and there is new skin there, and the other two are going down, and never came to a head. I think spot treating them with the mandelic last night really helped, because they look a lot better today than they did yesterday. It seems that my inflamed acne responds very well to the mandelic acid. I stopped using BP in June or July, and have been looking for something to take it's place as an antibacterial agent. The mandelic seems to do the job very well.

I think I'm going to order the level 6 green cream, since I haven't had any irritation or peeling from the level 3. I started with the level 3 because it's winter here, and my skin tends to be much more sensitive and dry in the winter, so I wanted to start out as gently as possible. The winter weather irritates my skin enough- I don't want my face products to give me any more irritation. So I think within the next few days I'll order the level 6 and see how I do with that one.

Now not relating to acne: I had a good idea yesterday. I've been having problems with dry and flaky skin on my body, and have been looking for a good lotion with AHA for my body, to help exfoliate the dry skin. Then I remembered that I still have almost a full tube of Alpha Hydrox 10% Glycolic Oil-Free Gel, because I dropped glycolic acid out of my regimen when I started using retinol, because I couldn't find anywhere to fit the glycolic in anymore. Well I decided to stop using it after I had just bought a new tube of it. So I decided to mix the rest of the glycolic with my regular body lotion. I know that Paula's Choice makes a glycolic body lotion, but it is kinda pricy for the amount you get. If I used that lotion on my whole body, the bottle wouldn't last very long. So I made my own. I know it's not as strong as Paula's Choice, because hers has a lower pH level, but mine is stronger than anything else I would buy from a drugstore. So I think I'll keep using my new lotion for a while, and if it helps my dry skin more than my regular lotion did, I think I'll keep doing this. The skin all over my body gets so dry, flaky, and itchy in the winter, and it drives me absolutely crazy, so hopefully this will help.

My face was very dry and peeling a little last night after I washed off all my makeup and used the baby brush after work, so I decided to not use the witch hazel toner or the green cream last night, and instead just mixed my Cerave lotion with the aloe gel, and put that all over my face. I'm not sure what dried out my skin so bad yesterday, but I think it might be the SA. Today when I woke up I washed my face, and it's still a little more dry than normal, so I put on the mandelic, but I think I will skip the SA for today. I think I probably don't need to use SA every day anyway, so maybe I'll just start using it every other day and see if that helps my dry skin.

The 3 active breakouts I had are gone- just red marks where they were. Yesterday during the day sometime I developed an inflamed breakout right above my lip, in that area between your lips and your nose. I usually never break out here, so I'm not sure why I got that one, but I picked at it (of course, because I have absolutely no self control) and today it is just a scab. I also got a very small inflamed breakout on my chin, right next to where one of my breakouts were yesterday, so I think it's from picking at the breakout and spreading the bacteria to the surrounding skin.

It seems as though my last 1 or 2 posts have been lost during the updates or whatever was just being done to the site today. Anyway, right now I have 2 new inflamed breakouts on my left cheek, but these are the only active breakouts I have right now.

When i woke up today I washed my face and used the mandelic and SA. Tonight before bed I will wash my face using the baby brush method, spot treat the active breakouts with mandelic, and then apply my retinol as usual. I've been using my cerave lotion mixed with aloe every night since my skin has been somewhat dry lately (this crazy WI weather has been messing with me- one day it's 20 degrees and snowing, the next it's 40 and raining.. lol...).

I am going to try just using the SA every other day, instead of every day, because I think it's the SA that is causing my dryness lately. When I stopped using it for 2 days, my skin went back to normal, so it must be the SA that is bothering my skin. My skin isn't red or irritated at all, just dry.

Picking is such a hard habit to stop!

I developed two new inflamed spots yesterday on my left cheek, but they aren't coming to a head, so I'm just leaving them alone. Today when I woke up I washed my face and applied the mandelic. I think I'm not going to use SA at all anymore. I don't think it's really necessary to have that extra step in my regimen. The mandelic and retinol both should help with clogged pores and blackheads, so I don't think I need the SA. It's been drying out my skin lately, so I'm just going to take a break from it for a while and see how it goes.

I ordered Level 6 Green Cream and Nucelle 15% Mandelic yesterday, so when I get them, I'll start incorporating them into my regimen.

Well that was fast! I just ordered my level 6 green cream and 15% Nucelle mandelic on Wednesday, and I just got them today. I'm very happy it only took 2 days, because I'm excited to start incorporating the level 6 GC. I haven't had any irritation from the level 3, so I think I will use the level 6 tonight, and alternate the level 6 and level 3 every other night for now. I know you're not supposed to start two new products at once, because it can cause a lot of irritation, so I will start the GC first, and if that goes well, then I'll start incorporating the 15% mandelic. I think I am going to spot treat with it though- I just won't apply it to my entire face yet. After applying my 10% mandelic on my entire face, I just spot treated the two breakouts on my left cheek with the 15%- they're really starting to shrink down and go away, but maybe this will speed it up a bit more. I also have a new, very small inflamed breakout on the right side of my chin, so I spot-treated that also. It seems to sting a bit on the spots I just put it on. I know it's quite a bit stronger than the 10%, because it's 5% more, and has a lower pH. If it doesn't stop stinging after it's been on my face for a half hour, then I'll just rinse it off. I don't want to irritate the spots.

I used the GC level 6 the last 2 nights, and so far no irritation. I think I'll probably use the Level 3 tonight just in case, and keep doing it that way instead of alternating every night, I'll do two nights on level 6, one night on level 3.... and do it like that. I've stopped using the Paula's Choice now. I don't think I really will need it anymore. Yesterday I developed an inflamed spot on my right cheekbone. I didn't spot treat it last night, but I put an extra little dab of mandelic on it when I woke up this morning.

I decided to use the GC level 6 again last night. So now that's 3 nights in a row, and no irritation. I'm somewhat undecided about what to do next. I think that instead of alternating the level 3 and 6, I will just continue using the level 6 every night, and use the level 3 only on nights that my skin is dry or irritated. I also want to start using my 15% Nucelle, but I think I'll still wait until at least later this week, if not next week to start using it.

I woke up today with a new inflamed breakout on my chin, which could be a PMS breakout, because it's very painful. My regular inflamed breakouts don't usually hurt much, but this one is very sore, which is why I'm assuming this is related to hormones and PMS, because my PMS breakouts usually are more painful than regular breakouts for some reason.

The breakout I had on my chin is going away nicely, but I woke up today with 2 new breakouts- one on my left cheek, and one on my right cheek. I felt them starting to develop yesterday, but when I woke up today they were there and very red. They're the ones that are really deep and take forever to come to a head, if they even do. The one on my left cheek hurts pretty bad. I know these are PMS related, because the only time I ever get cysts ( which is very very rare) or painful deep pimples is around PMS time.

I used level 6 GC again last night, and fell asleep before I applied my aloe and cerave lotion, but I woke up with no irritation again today. I always classified my skin as being very sensitive, but I guess it's really not as sensitive as I thought. After washing my face a little while ago (I slept in today.. hehe) I just applied the Nucelle 15% to my entire face for the first time. I was debating whether or not to do this so soon after starting the level 6 GC, but I seem to be getting no irritation, dryness, or peeling from the new GC, so I decided that I will try the 15% mandelic and see how it goes. Since I am breaking out much less than I did before starting the 10% Nucelle, I am assuming it is the Nucelle doing the majority of my acne fighting, so I'm excited to see if the 15% works even better. I definetely will take the 15% Nucelle slowly though, because I had a lot of peeling when I first started the 10%, and it kind of snuck up on me- I started out using it every day right away (I don't have much patience) and the first 3 days I didn't have any dryness or irritation, but when I woke up the fourth day, my face was peeling like crazy. So I think I'll just use the 15% every 2 or 3 days and see how it goes.

I'm getting ready for bed now. I washed my face, applied GC6, and after waiting almost 45 minutes (lost track of time) I spot treated my 2 breakouts with 15% mandelic. I decided that when I spot treat at night, from now on I will spot treat after applying GC instead of before.

The 15% mandelic I applied to my entire face today caused a bit of peeling on my chin, but no redness or irritation- just peeling because it is an exfoliant. The same thing happened when I first started using the 10%- I had peeling, but no irritation or redness. So I will take this as a good sign that my face will be able to tolerate the 15%. Tomorrow morning I will use the 10%, because I don't want to overdo it and use too much too fast with the 15%.

The breakout I had on my chin is going away nicely, but I woke up today with 2 new breakouts- one on my left cheek, and one on my right cheek. I felt them starting to develop yesterday, but when I woke up today they were there and very red. They're the ones that are really deep and take forever to come to a head, if they even do. The one on my left cheek hurts pretty bad. I know these are PMS related, because the only time I ever get cysts ( which is very very rare) or painful deep pimples is around PMS time.

I used level 6 GC again last night, and fell asleep before I applied my aloe and cerave lotion, but I woke up with no irritation again today. I always classified my skin as being very sensitive, but I guess it's really not as sensitive as I thought. After washing my face a little while ago (I slept in today.. hehe) I just applied the Nucelle 15% to my entire face for the first time. I was debating whether or not to do this so soon after starting the level 6 GC, but I seem to be getting no irritation, dryness, or peeling from the new GC, so I decided that I will try the 15% mandelic and see how it goes. Since I am breaking out much less than I did before starting the 10% Nucelle, I am assuming it is the Nucelle doing the majority of my acne fighting, so I'm excited to see if the 15% works even better. I definetely will take the 15% Nucelle slowly though, because I had a lot of peeling when I first started the 10%, and it kind of snuck up on me- I started out using it every day right away (I don't have much patience) and the first 3 days I didn't have any dryness or irritation, but when I woke up the fourth day, my face was peeling like crazy. So I think I'll just use the 15% every 2 or 3 days and see how it goes.

btw today i started nucelle and it felt great.

i could feel the tingling/burning for around 20 minutes.

it seems to have dried out my white heads with just two applications although i may be putting on more than necessary.

i noticed a little flaking, but i'm not sure if that's skin or just the serum peeling off because i may have used too much.

my index finger feels like it has super glue on it though. guess i need to was my hands better after applying it.

I wish I could try Green Cream but I can't during pregnancy. When I soon get some extra cash, I will be placing my order for NuCelle (currently use MaMa Lotion samples). I am now wondering whether I should order the 10% or 15% or both and use 15% to just spot treat like you. I have been using MaMa Lotion for 6.5 weeks now and it's 20% AHA of 10% mandelic and 10% malic. I wonder if this means my skin could handle NuCelle's 15%. Check out my log and see what you think. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

When I soon get some extra cash, I will be placing my order for NuCelle (currently use MaMa Lotion samples). I am now wondering whether I should order the 10% or 15% or both and use 15% to just spot treat like you. I have been using MaMa Lotion for 6.5 weeks now and it's 20% AHA of 10% mandelic and 10% malic. I wonder if this means my skin could handle NuCelle's 15%.

btw today i started nucelle and it felt great.

i could feel the tingling/burning for around 20 minutes.

it seems to have dried out my white heads with just two applications although i may be putting on more than necessary.

i noticed a little flaking, but i'm not sure if that's skin or just the serum peeling off because i may have used too much.

my index finger feels like it has super glue on it though. guess i need to was my hands better after applying it.

When I woke up this morning I washed my face and applied the 10% mandelic to my entire face, and then spot treated the breakouts on my cheeks with the 15%. The 2 breakouts I have (1 on each cheek) are just about gone. Spot treating them last night really helped I think, because when I woke up this morning they were much flatter and a lot less painful and red. Neither one came to a head at all, so I didn't pick at them... YAY ME! As of right now I don't see any new pimples forming, so hopefully once I get rid of these two PMS breakouts, my skin will be clear.

I noticed that my red marks are really starting to fade now also- I don't know if it's from the mandelic or the green cream, or maybe the combination of the two, but just within the last few days I've been noticing that my red marks look a lot less intense and dark- it looks like they're starting to soften a bit.

Still no irritation from the green cream, and no irritation from using the 15% mandelic yesterday. My skin must not be as sensitive as I thought it was. So I'm going to go ahead and keep using the GC6 every night, and go back down to level 3 if I start getting any irritation. I think I'm going to try using the 15% mandelic every other day, and I'll still keep spot treating with it at night, because I think it really helps dry out my breakouts and helps them heal faster.

why did you decide to put green cream before mandellic acid?

i know willow spot treats with MA and then applies GC.

When I soon get some extra cash, I will be placing my order for NuCelle (currently use MaMa Lotion samples). I am now wondering whether I should order the 10% or 15% or both and use 15% to just spot treat like you. I have been using MaMa Lotion for 6.5 weeks now and it's 20% AHA of 10% mandelic and 10% malic. I wonder if this means my skin could handle NuCelle's 15%.

I've never tried MaMa lotion, but I've heard that it's much more irritating and drying than Nucelle, so If you've been using the MaMa lotion for that long, you can probably just start using the 15% right away. You might have to start out using it every other day, but since your skin is already used to mandelic acid, you probably won't have too many problems. I just love the Nucelle. It has kind of a mattifying effect on the skin, so when I wear it in the morning I don't even have to put powder on top to control shine- it looks like I'm already wearing powder (unless I put my lotion/aloe on top- then I get a little shiny after a while).