Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
the_bane_of_my_life

BP or Salicyclic Acid or both?

Hi,

I have been using Dermalogica BP for a good while now and i must say it has been very good. I get less pustules popping up and have much less active spots than i used to.

However, it has left my skin with blemishes (i think). Basically where spots used to be is now a kinda red/purple mark left that does not want to budge. The BP is not getting rid of it!!

So, do u think moving onto SA would help in clearing up th reddish/purplish marks left over where the spots used to be? Or should i continue with BP?

Any advice is appreciated

Cheers

The SA would probably help more, if it helped at all that is, because it is an exfoliant. BP is an antibacterial agent. It also acts as a mild exfoliant but that's just kind of a side effect. Those marks should fade in time by themselves though.

However, it has left my skin with blemishes (i think). Basically where spots used to be is now a kinda red/purple mark left that does not want to budge. The BP is not getting rid of it!!

So, do u think moving onto SA would help in clearing up th reddish/purplish marks left over where the spots used to be? Or should i continue with BP?

Hi,

I have been using Dermalogica BP for a good while now and i must say it has been very good. I get less pustules popping up and have much less active spots than i used to.

Any advice is appreciated

Cheers

i really think each person is different. for me BP is the only thing that works. SA has never worked. all its ever done is cause me to breakout in tiny red bumps and also makes my skin itchy.

To keep pores really clear, I think it's recommended to use benzoyl peroxide during daytime and salicylic acid at night.

I really think most of us need both antibacterial and exfoliating action. Maybe you could find a lower concentration of SA?

To keep pores really clear, I think it's recommended to use benzoyl peroxide during daytime and salicylic acid at night.

I really think most of us need both antibacterial and exfoliating action. Maybe you could find a lower concentration of SA?

about the drying -

Yes, I was dry at first on this regimen, but I acclimated to it.

The important thing is to make sure it's not increasing your breakouts.

As to the BP, I use it rather sparingly, and only in the areas where I break out.

don't use SA or BP. these are harsh chemical that dry and irritate your skin...if you have to use it, use it only on the tip of the spot...personally i'll just let the pimple grow, continue my hydrating mask every day, and a few days later the head will form and i can squeeze the white stuff out very easily. Key is to moisturize your skin to foster faster skin cell renewal, so the pimple head can come out easily...

I use one in the morning, and one at night.

Never both together at the same time, as the chemicals neatrualise each other