Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
strawberries

Face can't handle topicals anymore

Since turning 27 my skin has gotten really sensitive. Over the year I have been using Tazorac, metrogel and clindamycin.... now whenever i put anything on my face other than moisturizer it turns red, peels, cracks... So I stop my topicals for a few days to let me skin calm down and then I start to break out....

I've been dealing with acne since I was 12. I used to be able to be 10% bp on, glycholic acid, retinals and nothing would bother it. Maybe I abused it for all those years now i'm paying for it.

Is this happening to other adults with years of acne? Did you find anything to help?

I can't take anymore antibotics, been on accutane twice, it helped but the acne came right back.. so it's not worth it to me.

Sounds like your a perfect candidate for light therapy. It would give your skin a great chance to recover, and would even aid in the healing process.

I started getting sensitive skin when I was in college, it seemed like everything from makeup to topicals was giving me rashes and it was so frustraiting! My derm told that it's pretty common; he said some people "grow into their adult skin late." You just have to find what works for you, I can't use BP, AHA or strong SA, but I can use retin-a-micro. I can infact slather my face with it many times a day, to the amazement of my derm. Right now I'm using head and sholders shampoo on my face and it's working great, but I tested it on my head first and I wash it off right away. You might talk to you derm to see what else you can do, like light therapy as lamarr mentioned; he might want to switch you to antibiotics in pill form. You might also try urine as a topical, that has worked for a lot of people. :)

You have to wonder who the geniuses were that came up with the theory that putting crappy chemicals on your face will make your acne disappear :rolleyes: It just does NOT work, case closed!!!

You have to wonder who the geniuses were that came up with the theory that putting crappy chemicals on your face will make your acne disappear :rolleyes: It just does NOT work, case closed!!!

Since turning 27 my skin has gotten really sensitive. Over the year I have been using Tazorac, metrogel and clindamycin.... now whenever i put anything on my face other than moisturizer it turns red, peels, cracks... So I stop my topicals for a few days to let me skin calm down and then I start to break out....

I've been dealing with acne since I was 12. I used to be able to be 10% bp on, glycholic acid, retinals and nothing would bother it. Maybe I abused it for all those years now i'm paying for it.

Is this happening to other adults with years of acne? Did you find anything to help?

I can't take anymore antibotics, been on accutane twice, it helped but the acne came right back.. so it's not worth it to me.

I know I posted in this tread twice, must have gotten zapped when the board went down.

Different people need different treatments for their face. I can't use BP or SA, I'm hypersensitive to the first and the second gives me a rash. Something that works for someone might not work for someone, or anyone else.

Why not go easy on the medications and try some natural skin care products.

It seems like your skin has become very sensitive after all the years of harsh chemicals being applied onto the skin. I guess some natural skin care regime might help soothe the irritated skin, which actually happens to many people, including me.

You might wish to visit my blog http://skincarepolice.com for more natural skin care tips. ;)