Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hi jenstar,

can you explain how to make the honey mask?

can i use any honey or does it have to be manuka honey?

is it just apply honey on your face and then apply sugar on your face and rub for 15 minutes?

nucelle 15% has been the best topical for my skin but i still get flakes and then my skin starts clogging again under neath the layer of "dead" skin that's stuck to my face for a while.

i am cleansing with oil which helps but still doesn't take away the flakes completely.

i also used vaseline when i'm home before i go to sleep but its so heavy and i feel that it might be causing clogged pores so i stopped.

thanks.

Also for honey masks to mix it up a bit... have you ever tried adding a little milk or lemon to your honey?

Don't worry I won't let myself run out of mandelic. I have a tube and a bit left and I plan on making my NuCelle order this weekend. I have heard of adding lemon juice but not the milk. Wouldn't these liquids just make the honey mask more runny with more to slip and slide off the face? Maybe they could quell the itchiness factor!

I think you could take some honey, add some ground-up almonds, squeeze of lemon, then nutmeg and as it slides down your face… have a spoon ready to scoop it up and lick it! :razz: haha Ciao!

You had come so far and it has done so well for you, I’m so glad you don’t have to go without it! I read on one of the mandelic websites that continued usage is obviously necessary in order to see your great results continue. I will second that from experience.

my mom had some organic honey comb in the house so i put it on at night for about 3 hours.

it didn't itch or burn so i was afraid i didn't rub it in enough or the honey wasn't the right kind but after i rinsed it off my face felt so smooth and soft. the texture of my skin is wonderful right now.

thank you for the honey tip.

as for the sugar i tried it but it seemed to get very clumpy and didn't feel very exfoliating

i decided to try sea salt and that felt much better. i believe i read some posts saying sea salt was antibacterial so i think that's a plus.

have you tried sea salt?

I think you could take some honey, add some ground-up almonds, squeeze of lemon, then nutmeg and as it slides down your face… have a spoon ready to scoop it up and lick it! :razz: haha Ciao!

Yes, it all sounds very delicious. I like the sounds of this one the best especially for the almond/mandelic aspect. I could do this instead of the sugar. Do they mean the ground nutmeg spice and what is nutmeg meant to do for the skin?

Hi JustaMomToo. I bought a fresh lemon and some finely ground almond meal today. I thought I had some ground nutmeg spice in the cupboard, but to no avail. I'm keen to try the honey, lemon, almond, nutmeg mask. Don't ask me why but the milk/yoghurt dairy thing doesn't appeal. I know you can use just about any fruit/veg for a mask. Tomatoes, avocadoes, cucumbers, etc. All good. You like to mix up your regimen and try new things. Maybe you can report back what ones you like best. I think I'll stick with honey for now and eventually try Manuka too.

Hey Jenstar! :D

Just thought i'd drop by and say hello.

Well done with your progress so far, sounds like you are doing well with your battle.

I'm sure 1 day in the future you will find your cure. Keep positive and Goodluck..

Thanks AndoZ. Which regimen are you currently doing?

Hey Jenstar!

Ya I can't seem to get past thinking the yogurt or milk would get sour on a warm face eeeeewwwwwww and the honey/lemon/almond/nutmeg just sounds so much better and smells divine I would imagine since the honey/lemon did! When and if I try other masks, I will for sure post the results. So far tomatoes and salad ingredients aren't doing it for me yet lol. I told my husband of our little facial recipes and he laughed and said 'sounds yummy!' haha He is totally used to facial masks, regimens, anything for the quest of clear skin!

I was reading this thread I would like you to read and comment if you could please. I told him to check out your log because I think he might be a good candidate for mandelic. It's hard to see any problems in his pictures so I went by what his derm and mom said after I angled my computer monitor slightly so I could pick up on some pinkness and textural things. Anyway, I told him to read the mandelic information and see what he thinks and if you could check it out in your free time that would be great. He's "work in progress" and his thread is PLZ Help 20 pics... under rosacea and facial redness, but it's not rosacea.

Thanks and Ciao!

Hey Jenstar,

I just ordered my Nucelle today and I hope it gets delivered as fast as some of the others said they received! I am excited about reading your progress and hope that this is the final answer for me to clear up my acne and be the fountain of youth! I have been using the baby brush in the shower with my cleanser and what a difference that has made for me as well! My makeup stays on even better and my skin just seems a million times better than a month ago! Anyway, can't wait!

Congrats as well on your pregnancy, 10 weeks to go! The last 4 weeks always seemed like forever! I have 3 - the youngest is 2 1/2! It is fun, but crazy! Each pregnancy my skin did different things. After my last child, I had terrible pregnancy mask, that took a while to get rid of. Acne was better for me - continuing through my breastfeeding time, but when I stopped, it started all up again!

Thanks,

Dawn

Hi Andoz

Good for you getting clear the natural way. Unfortunately, my skin needs some kind of topical or I am guaranteed to break out. Have you researched flaxeed vs omega 3 fish oils? I heard omega 3 fish oil is better for acne prone skin than flaxeed. You can buy the non-reflux capsule style - I use salmon oil as I heard it is even more superior than plain fish oil and is supposed to contain less mercury levels. As you live in Oz, you can buy it from a Healthy Life health food store at your local shopping centre.

This is the salmon oil brand I use:

http://www.vitaminking.com.au/page/shop/fl...product_id/4335

Hi Dawn

Do you mean you have 3 children or 3 weeks left to go? I have a 3 year old daughter and a 4 year old daughter who turns 5 when this bub is due - late April. Glad to hear you like baby hair brush method. It's so wonderful for controlling flakes. You will have to keep us posted on how you find your NuCelle. Maybe you could start a log to chart your progress and regimen thoughts.

Jenstar,

I have 3 children, an 8 yr old boy, an almost 5 yr old girl and and a 2 1/2 yr old girl! I love them to death, but no more babies for me! They keep me very busy!

I have been reading up on the fish oil but not sure exactly how much to take. I found a thread about it that I really liked, but I can't remember where it was? I would hate to have that nasty fish burp that they talk about and wonder if your breath smells like that too? Does that happen? Some say to take Cod Liver Oil and others recommend something else. I know it is something that I want to try to incorporate into my regimen. I have bought ACV this week and waiting to see if that makes a difference as well, drinking 2 tablespoons of that is a joy!

DWHAA

Hi Dawn

Yes, I am going to be very busy soon with 3!

No, the brand I use is non-reflux capsules. Absolutely no fishy burps or breath. I don't eat any type of fish so I wouldn't be able to stand it if it did this to me. Make sure the brand you buy says non-reflux. For some reason I thought you were pregnant. Must be confusing you with someone else. EDIT: Sorry, it's NewMumma that's currenlty pregnant.

They generally recommend 3 capsules of omega 3 fish oil per day and just 2 if pregnant. Visit your local health food store and see if they can give you info on all the different types that are out there. I thought cod liver only came in liquid form and so does flaxseed. I prefer to swallow capsules than drink any off a spoon or mix in with my salad dressing ....eww! Not sure how else people consume the liquid varieties.

Hi Andoz

Good for you getting clear the natural way. Unfortunately, my skin needs some kind of topical or I am guaranteed to break out. Have you researched flaxeed vs omega 3 fish oils? I heard omega 3 fish oil is better for acne prone skin than flaxeed. You can buy the non-reflux capsule style - I use salmon oil as I heard it is even more superior than plain fish oil and is supposed to contain less mercury levels. As you live in Oz, you can buy it from a Healthy Life health food store at your local shopping centre.

This is the salmon oil brand I use:

http://www.vitaminking.com.au/page/shop/fl...product_id/4335

Hi jenstar,

You are spot on exactly! I have skimmed through a few articles today and have come to the same realization. Here's a good article http://www.mind1st.co.uk/Flax_Seed_Oil_v_Fish_Oil.asp

Thanx for the link, looks like a good product and not too expensive. :D I will definetly add this product in the near future!

Cod liver oil can be found in capsule form, i'm not sure how pure it is or if it is non reflux.

I have 5ml every night from the bottle with a vitamin E capsule Yum :lol:.(i read vitamin E greatly helps absorbtion.)

http://www.melrosehealth.com.au/products/i...;products_id=15

Yesterday I noticed my face was a bit flaky. I had to go out last night and I found myself applying some moisturiser over my makeup on the flaky bits. When I got home, I cleansed and used baby hair brush. Still flaky. Decided to give my face a break and not use MaMa. I applied Cetaphil moisturising lotion for the night instead. Woke up this morning and the flakes are gone. I think once a month or so I will do this from now on.

Today I saw a Dove face brightening moisturiser. I am interested in trying this. There's also an eye cream.

http://www.dovefacecare.com.au/EnergyGlow_...moisturiser.asp

Hey girls! Well my facial on Tuesday went pretty well. She did an AHA/Glycolic peel and then did some extractions. So...my face was a little red that day but I could already see how smooth it was. She did notice that my skin is much smoother since I started using Dermalogica's Daily Microexfoliant about 2 weeks ago. Since Tuesday I've decided to stop using Biore's pore unclogging scrub which contains SA...I think it became more of an irritant to my skin and that's why my jawline was so red and irritated. And about that, she said I did come breakouts in that area but that the red areas I mentioned in my previous posts looked more like a heat rash! In February? It's not hot here in Northern California so we were both a bit perplexed. Again I think it was an irritation due to Biore and the SA. She gave me several samples of Dr. Murad's Soothing Gel Cleanser and Dermalogica's Skin Smoothing Cream to help with my dryness and flakiness. And I have to say since using these products my skin is not as red and irritated, it's smooth and hydrated! I'm beginning to have some hope now :) I use BP as a spot treatment only and I microexfoliate at night in the shower. Other than that I think I'm beginning to learn that minimal is better for my sensitive skin. As for the honey masks I know I've had them applied in the past during facials and I loved how my skin felt afterwards...I think I'm going to start doing that at home once a week. This past Tuesday she applied an Oatmeal mask in hopes of calming the redness and irritation but it didn't do anything for that so I don't think I care for Oatmeal.

*Jenstar*

Thank you and Congrats to you as well! I am now going on my 11th week of pregnancy. Yesterday my boyfriend and I finally got to hear the baby's heartbeat for the 1st time via doppler. I think that made it that much more real for us. This is our 1st so this is truly a miracle of life in the process thus far-- something we've both never experienced and we are ecstatic! Now I can't wait for the 1st ultrasound at 20 weeks!

Hi NewMamma. All the best with your pregnancy. Such an exciting time for you, especially being your first. Do you think you will find out the gender? The 20 week scan is absolutely amazing.

Good luck with your new skin care regimen. Sounds like you've been recommended some good products. Keep us posted how it all goes in helping to clear you. Did you mention mandelic to her at all?

Hi Jenstar...actually yes I asked her about Mandelic and she said she'd heard of it but not for skin use? So I dunno...I'm gna give these products a try first and see how they go. I'm planning on going in for another facial in the next few weeks as a maintenance but if doing those doesn't work out I'm going to give Mandelic a try.

11th week of MaMa Lotion.

Current status: No pimples and none at all over the past 11 days! 5 fading red marks, no flaking. Skin looking good. Quite surprised actually. I don't remember it EVER being like this.

The new face brightening Dove moisturiser seems good. Don't know how much it actually 'brightens'. I think I may have been a sucker for this.

Current Regimen:

AM

Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser with warm water

Pat dry with towel, allow to dry naturally for further 5-10 minutes

Dove Energy Glow brightening moisturiser

Wait 10-20 minutes before applying makeup

Other

Supplements: 2 non-reflux salmon oil capsules, 1 pregnancy multi-vitamin

Makeup: Covergirl concealer (for light coverage) or Dermablend Smooth Indulgence concealer (for heavier coverage), Shiseido SPF 35 compact makeup, Almay blush

Exfoliation: Baby hair brush method - whenever required

Raw organic honey mask mixed with ground almond, fresh lemon and ground nutmeg. Do twice a week and leave on 15-20 minutes, rinse off with warm water and pat dry.

Other: One night a month, give face break from mandelic. Cleanse as usual and then moisturise with Cetaphil moisturising lotion.

PM

Nivea Visage Extra Gentle Eye Makeup Remover

MaMa Lotion - an AHA of 10% mandelic & 10% malic acid

Hey Jenstar!

Well I see you are doing GREAT with your regimen! I am SO glad for you because it will be easy to keep up once the newest member of your family arrives! I'm also convinced your hormones won't have as much power as they did in the past because you have already been using mandelic for so long that your complexion is better overall. Do you usually do your masks when the little ones are sleeping or if they're around, do they want to put some on 'just like mommy' too? lol

I said I would order my mandelic this weekend, but I think I'm going to hold off for another week. Remember I gave my MaMa to my daughter to try? She used it 2 times in 8 days and said her face became really flakey. She has nice skin to begin with, more sensitive than mine though, but she would like to begin using mandelic as good skincare and to make her complexion even better. So she wants to use it again, 5 days apart to further acclimate her skin to it, then we'll see if (1) she gives it back to me and I get the 10% Nucelle for her or (2) she likes it and I get the 15% Nucelle for me. I've read online that Nucelle is less irritating than MaMa because MaMa is 20% combined acids. Is that what you've heard as well? haha We're probably reading the same sites!

I also told her to purchase a baby hair brush, which she is doing tomorrow, to get rid of the little peelies instead of overdosing on moisturizer and other exfoliating cleansers. She liked the baby brush idea because she could use it with her favorite cleansers. She also loved the honey mask with the various added ingredients. She's used the honey masks before and likes them a lot for the way they make her skin feel and look.

Take care and Ciao!

Do you usually do your masks when the little ones are sleeping or if they're around, do they want to put some on 'just like mommy' too? lol

I've read online that Nucelle is less irritating than MaMa because MaMa is 20% combined acids. Is that what you've heard as well? haha We're probably reading the same sites!

11th week of MaMa Lotion.

Current status: No pimples and none at all over the past 11 days! 5 fading red marks, no flaking. Skin looking good. Quite surprised actually. I don't remember it EVER being like this.

The new face brightening Dove moisturiser seems good. Don't know how much it actually 'brightens'. I think I may have been a sucker for this.

Current Regimen:

AM

Dove Energy Glow brightening moisturiser

Wait 10-20 minutes before applying makeup

Other

Supplements: 2 non-reflux salmon oil capsules, 1 pregnancy multi-vitamin

Makeup: Covergirl concealer (for light coverage) or Dermablend Smooth Indulgence concealer (for heavier coverage), Shiseido SPF 35 compact makeup, Almay blush

Exfoliation: Baby hair brush method - whenever required

Raw organic honey mask mixed with ground almond, fresh lemon and ground nutmeg. Do twice a week and leave on 15-20 minutes, rinse off with warm water and pat dry.

Other: One night a month, give face break from mandelic. Cleanse as usual and then moisturise with Cetaphil moisturising lotion.

PM

Nivea Visage Extra Gentle Eye Makeup Remover

MaMa Lotion - an AHA of 10% mandelic & 10% malic acid

Hey Jenstar!

My daughter is 22 and she's been using good skincare regimens ever since she was old enough to really know about properly cleansing, sun care, etc. I have always guided both my kids into good basic hygiene routines so it's never been a new thing around here. I think when girls first all go to college at 18, since they are all in the dorms and restrooms after showering, they get to discuss each one's skincare routines, makeup products, hair care, etc. more so than when it was a quick time in the showers after gym class in high school or at sleepovers. So she's picked up some good tips along with giving some good advice.

Did you end up ordering your mandelic yet or do you still have enough so you don't need to at this moment?