Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I seem to update my signature daily so thought it might be time to write a log to keep track of my regimen and progress. I don't expect others to read this although you are more than welcome to and any suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

Acne History: 20 years of trying many types of products and meds to control my mild to moderate acne. Usually always had 10-12 active and inflamed pustules or papules at any given time. Always been a picker, unfortunately. Upon joining acne.org I tried the DKR for 1 month and decided I didn't like BP as my face was always one burning, red, flaking mess.

Current Status: 4th week of MaMa Lotion. 4 tiny pimples, 10 fading red scars.

MY CURRENT REGIMEN:

AM

Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser & baby hair brush exfoliation

Shiseido eye cream

MaMa Lotion - an AHA of 10% mandelic & 10% malic acid

Cetaphil Moisturising Lotion mixed with FOTE Aloe Vera Gel (applied at least 30 mins after MaMa)

Other

2 fish oil supplements, 1 pregnancy multi-vitamin

2 litres H20 daily, 30min treadmill walk daily, aim for healthy eating

Covergirl concealer, Shiseido SPF 35 compact makeup

PM

L'Oreal Gentle Eye Make-Up Remover

Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser & baby hair brush exfoliation

Shiseido eye cream

Cetaphil Moisturising Lotion (applied at least 30 mins after MaMa)

I have been very happy with MaMa Lotion but after hearing rave reviews I am tempted to switch to NuCelle's 10% mandelic acid. I hear it's cheaper, milder and less sticky.

Today I noticed some brown blotchy hyperpigmentation occuring particularly on my forehead and cheeks. Maybe this is from using too much MaMa and twice a day. Maybe I should cut back to night only and cut down on how much I use. Lately I have been applying a bit more - probably 2 large pea sized amounts morning and night.

Are you wearing sunscreen when out and about during the day? You could have either pregnancy melasma, or melasma from having AHA exfoliation combined with sun exposure (or both). The melasma happened to me with one day of sun exposure while using an AHA. It has faded though with careful sunscreen usage and continued AHA usage.

Are you wearing sunscreen when out and about during the day? You could have either pregnancy melasma, or melasma from having AHA exfoliation combined with sun exposure (or both). The melasma happened to me with one day of sun exposure while using an AHA. It has faded though with careful sunscreen usage and continued AHA usage.

Its not melasma, its from using too much MaMa too frequently. This happened to me when I applied too much of the serum when I first started using it. I woke up with some dark blotches that felt kinda rough and a day or two later that skin peeled off and my skin looked just fine. So yes, your gut is right-it is too much MaMa. Your skin will be fine and back to normal within a couple days, but beware of applying too much because it will happen again and personally I find it more unsightly than blemishes. I don't think you should be wearing this during the day it could damage your skin. I would cut back to at least once a night instead of in the morning and night. If you just cut back a little your skin should be looking great in no time.

Hi Wynne. Well, I doubt it's from sun exposure as it's been raining here almost every day for the past few weeks. I don't really go out in the sun either and I always wear daily my non-comedogenic Shiseido Sun Protection Compact Foundation which has an SPF of 35. This is my 3rd pregnancy and I've not had melasma issues in the past. I think it might be from using too much MaMa too frequently.

I also think I might be using the baby hair brush method too often. Twice a day is probably too much. I checked out the thread on this and have just realised 1-2 times per week is sufficient.

So tonight I have tweaked my regimen. I did not use baby hair brush and I only used one pea sized amount of MaMa. From now on I will try MaMa evenings only and without moisturising PM.

New regimen will look like this:

AM

Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser

Shiseido eye cream

Cetaphil Moisturising Lotion mixed with FOTE Aloe Vera Gel

Other

2 fish oil supplements, 1 pregnancy multi-vitamin

2 litres H20 daily, 30min treadmill walk daily, aim for healthy eating

Baby hair brush exfoliation - twice weekly

PM

L'Oreal Gentle Eye Make-Up Remover

Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser

Shiseido eye cream

Thanks Kaylaan. It's reassuring to know the brown blotches won't be permanent. I have cut back to using MaMa nights only.

Status update:

The 4 tiny pimples from a few days ago were actually tiny blocked pores. Presently all clear with no active, new pimples!!! Still have about 10 fading red scars and slight flaking now on forehead, nose and chin.

Have decided to ditch aloe vera as I am only moisturising once a day in the morning and I think I would prefer the full strength of the moisturiser alone without mixing it with the aloe. I was also having troubles squeezing out the right amount of aloe to mix with the moisturiser and therefore always ending up with too much aloe. I am all for making things simple so this will avoid another step/product in the regimen. Will see how it goes.

I am finding Cetaphil moisturiser a bit too greasy during the day. I notice this particularly if I am not wearing makeup. I have also discovered that Cetaphil moisturiser contains Cetearyl Alcohol and Ceteareth 20 which have a 4 out of 5 rating on the comedogenic scale. In the store today I tested Dove and Cetaphil side by side on the back of my hand. Cetaphil felt greasy and Dove didn't so I bought the Dove (as recommended by others). Also bought a Dove hand cream.

I am not happy with my recently bought L'Oreal eye makeup remover. It's way too greasy so today I bought Nivea Visage Extra Gentle Eye Make-Up Remover and will trial this.

Trying to exercise on the treadmill most days - every day is unrealistic.

Have ordered Dermablend Smooth Indulgence concealer which I got for a bargain off ebay. Can't wait to start trying this for scars and darkness under eyes.

The only reason I haven't switched and bought the NuCelle yet is due to lack of available spare funds and I have plenty of MaMa Lotion to keep me going for a while. In addition to the NuCelle mandelic 10%, I would really like to try their eyelift cream which contains 2% mandelic. It's funny noone has really heard of mandelic acid here in Australia. I have been speaking with beauty therapists about AHAs and they haven't even heard of it. Thanks again acne.org.

Been exploring the options of steaming and using Manuka honey as a facial mask a couple of times per week. Mixed reviews on this. Not sure if it will help my skin or would just be an unnecessary element to add to my current regimen. At the moment, I am thinking - keep it simple! I also don't know what brand or UMF strength to buy and can't seem to get any clear answers from anybody so I have decided to forget the whole steaming and honey mask idea. A beauty therapist looked at my skin today and said "I would keep on doing what you're doing...it's obviously working". I don't want to complicate things so I think I'll give it a miss.

Have stopped exfoliating with baby hair brush so often. I will use it now twice per week - say Sunday and Thursday nights.

So current regimen looks like this:

AM

Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser

Shiseido eye cream

Dove Moisturising Lotion SPF 15

Other

2 salmon oil supplements, 1 pregnancy multi-vitamin

Aim for 2 litres H20 daily, healthy eating & 30min treadmill walk most days

Baby hair brush exfoliation - Sun & Thur evening only

PM

Nivea Visage Extra Gentle Eye Makeup Remover

Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser

Shiseido eye cream

Thanks for the tip JennaBabe. I did reply to this yesterday but my latest post has gone missing due to the boards being down yesterday.

Latest update:

1 pimple on forehead and one small one on side of cheek. Dove moisturiser is great - not sticky or greasy at all. The Nivea eye makeup remover is so much better too and leaves no greasy residue.

You're progress is exciting, but not unexpected! It all happened very quickly for me too, I hope things continue to go smoothly for you! It sounds like your really starting to understand your skin!

let us know how things continue to progress!

Entering 6th week of using MaMa Lotion.

Currently still 10 fading red scars. One pimple on forehead which has been made worse by me picking it to death. A big scab now. No wonder I end up with scars that won't go away. Also 1 new small pimple on my chin. Slight flaking on forehead and nose.

The brown blotchy hyperpigmentation I was noticing on my forehead has lessened. I think cutting back to using MaMa in the evenings only has helped with this.

My Dermablend Smooth Indulgence concealer arrived and it's great. It's this one:

http://www.dermablend.com/productDetails.aspx?prodID=100055

Perfect colour and coverage. If anyone is interested in learning more about Dermablend and their products, check out the following thread where I have made posts. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...=183417&hl=

Still happy with the Dove moisturiser and Nivea eye makeup remover. Not missing aloe vera gel. Still a bit undecided about Manuka honey as a mask.

AM

Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser

Shiseido eye cream

Other

Aim for 2 litres H20 daily, healthy eating & 30min treadmill walk 3 days per week

Dermablend Smooth Indulgence concealer, Shiseido SPF 35 compact makeup

Baby hair brush exfoliation - Sun & Thur evening only

PM

Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser

Shiseido eye cream

Hi Jenstar,

Which Dove Moisturizer are you using? The one I'm using now is called Dove Deep Moisture for Dry Skin. I like it but it makes my forehead and nose shiny so I want to switch to another type of Dove moisturizer.

Today I have 2 tiny new pimples on my neck (I usually don't get them there) and 3 old ones on my face. Still at least 10 old scars. The pimples I am now getting are nowhere near as bad or as frequent as before I started using mandelic They are only made worse by me picking, unfortunately.

I have decided not to spot treat with BP. Instead, I will spot treat in the mornings with MaMa Lotion. I have to remind myself of all the things I hated about BP to begin with plus I don't want anymore good towels bleached. Best for me to stay away from that stuff and not complicate my current regimen. Adding another product at this stage might make for overly dry and peeling skin. I would probably regret it and again more money wasted.

I was exploring the option of Clindamycin. A long while ago I used Clindatech and I remember my skin did get better but it never cleared totally. I also hear this is for short-term use and I need a long-term solution. Can't use Differin, Green Cream or any other retinol when pregnant.

I have to remind myself that's it's only been just over 6 weeks since I started using mandelic acid. I have to give it time and just be patient. I have to give it at least 3 months. After 20 years, it's been the best thing that's worked for me so far. I guess I am just expecting to have miracle skin overnight and it takes time.

AM

Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser

Shiseido eye cream

Spot treat with MaMa Lotion

Wait 30 minutes

Other

Aim for 2 litres H20 daily, healthy eating & 30min treadmill walk 3 days per week

Baby hair brush exfoliation - Sun & Thur PM & other times only if required

PM

Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser

Shiseido eye cream

MaMa Lotion

I have to remind myself that's it's only been just over 6 weeks since I started using mandelic acid. I have to give it time and just be patient. I have to give it at least 3 months. After 20 years, it's been the best thing that's worked for me so far. I guess I am just expecting to have miracle skin overnight and it takes time.

As soon as the 1 or 2 breakouts on my face start to go away, or are almost completely gone, I'll get another one.

Today I have 2 tiny new pimples on my neck (I usually don't get them there) and 3 old ones on my face. Still at least 10 old scars.

Hi Jenstar, I just started a new regiment based on MaMa lotion after reading yours and many others positive experiences with it. However, I was wondering how long it took before you noticed distinctive improvements in your skin. I know you need to test it for at least a few weeks before making any judgements, but for me, after the fifth day of using it, I haven't noticed anything positive; if anything, I think my skin might have become worse as my marks appear darker and the tiny bumps on my forehead that were there before using Mama, have now become fullblown pimples. Is this normal or is mandelic just not for me? This is so frustrating as I'm starting to lose hope. :(

Hi Pat_rick. It's very frustrating in the beginning. I noticed smoother skin after a few days but my breakouts did not seem to lessen or get better until about after 2 weeks. Like with anything, you can't just give up after 5 days which is such a short period of time. I am now in my 7th week and whilst my skin is improving daily, it's still not 100%. Good news is I haven't had any new breakouts in over a week. Just 3 on my neck but I usually don't breakout there or apply MaMa on my neck. I would give mandelic at least 3 months before giving up hope. Trust me, I have been searching for something to help my skin for 20 years now and mandelic is definitely the best thing I've ever found.

Hi Pat_rick. It's very frustrating in the beginning. I noticed smoother skin after a few days but my breakouts did not seem to lessen or get better until about after 2 weeks. Like with anything, you can't just give up after 5 days which is such a short period of time. I am now in my 7th week and whilst my skin is improving daily, it's still not 100%. Good news is I haven't had any new breakouts in over a week. Just 3 on my neck but I usually don't breakout there or apply MaMa on my neck. I would give mandelic at least 3 months before giving up hope. Trust me, I have been searching for something to help my skin for 20 years now and mandelic is definitely the best thing I've ever found.

Have your marks showed noticeable improvement? I do have some acne but it's the marks that totally ruin it; I have so many of 'em I can't even keep track, and as I said my marks appear darker after using mandelic. Thanks for the response ;)

I bought a 500g jar of organic raw honey from the health food store today for AUS$6.99. Well I tried the raw honey as a mask on its own. I used 2 tablespoons which was way too much. It was all sticky, a little bit itchy and literally dripping off my face. Hubby thought I was mad. Kept it on for 15-20 minutes and rinsed off with warm water and pat dried with a towel. 10 minutes later my face feels super smooth and soft. A very interesting experiment. I look forward to trying it as an exfoliant with raw oats and another time with sugar to see what I like best. I will include a honey mask 2 x nights per week as part of my regimen after cleansing.

Entering 7th week of using MaMa Lotion.

Currently still 10 fading red scars. No new pimples on my face in the past week.

AM

Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser

Shiseido eye cream

Spot treat with MaMa lotion

Wait 30 minutes

Other

Baby hair brush exfoliation - Tue & Sat evening, plus whenever required

Raw organic honey mask - Sun & Thur evening after cleansing, leave on 20min

PM

Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser

Shiseido eye cream

Hi Jenstar, I've been using MaMa Lotion for past 2 weeks. Since I know that my face isn't that sensitive I've been using it everyday. But recently, my skin is starting to peel A LOT more :( . Since I think that you've also been using MaMa Lotion daily, did you have similar experiences? if not, do you think I should reduce it to every other day or moisturize day and night? Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Jenstar, I've been using MaMa Lotion for past 2 weeks. Since I know that my face isn't that sensitive I've been using it everyday. But recently, my skin is starting to peel A LOT more :( . Since I think that you've also been using MaMa Lotion daily, did you have similar experiences? if not, do you think I should reduce it to every other day or moisturize day and night? Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.