Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok, I just have to rant about this...

I've had acne since i was about 10 and for the first couple years I just kind of shrugged it off. Mainly because I was too young to really comprehend everything it really meant, and it wasn't that bad. So after a few years it got worse and my mom gave me makeup to wear, and i was happy as a clam.

but now, i'm a 19 year old college freshman and i really fuc*ing hate to put makeup on every day. also, if i don't get clear, i think it'll end up impacting my career. i work at a horse stable now, and i hear some of the people i like making fun of some of the "stuck-up" girls at the barn who wear a lot of makeup (eye makeup included, and not for acne purposes). i don't wear eye makeup because even though i wear foundation and concealer, i want to appear as natural as possible. i just worry that people say the same thing about me behind my back. i'm not stuck up at all and i don't worry about my appearance, except for the acne. i'm a hard worker and i'm not afraid to get dirty doing barn work, etc.

and i eventually want to be a horse trainer/lesson instructor. i'm just afraid that, at that point, i still have to resort to wearing makeup, people will look down on me.

but i hate it for other reasons too. like, my first thought whenever i give someone a hug is "be careful or my makeup might rub off on thier shoulder" and whenever someone gets up close to my face i absolutely hate it, because they'll see my makeup. so, instinctually, i avert my eyes and barely look people in the eyes anyway. i don't want to seem rude or angry or disinterested or anything, but it's what i do. and whenever i see a makeup rub on the collar of one of my shirts after i put it on, i just want to punch a wall.

i literally think about my face and my makeup all the time. i just want a clear face. i want to not be afraid to go out in the rain, i don't want to be afraid to go swimming, or just touch my own face without worrying about rubbing my makeup off and exposing my acne.

and there's no way i'd be willing to go out without it. and this gives a false perception of me also. i'm not a vain person. i don't need to be in impeccable physical condition, or have my hair done perfectly or wear only the most "fashonable" clothes to feel good about myself. but when i put makeup on everyday, i feel like some sort of shallow, vain idiot.

i'm going to ask my mom if i can be put on accutane, i'm done with this bullsh*t. i just want my life back. in fact, i can't even accurately remember my life before i had to slather makeup on everyday - i'be been doing it since i was about 13. i just imagine being free of it and it seems like some kind of idyllic fantasy.

okay, i'm officially an over-emotional lump of sh*t. :boohoo: sorry.

I have been wearing makeup everyday for a really long time. I recently found mineral makeup which for me, is much more natural looking and is better for the skin so I know it's not causing anything to be worse. I know people can probably still tell up close (especially if I use a lot) that i'm wearing makeup but it matches my skin perfectly and it covers well too.

I know it's hard to wear makeup everyday but don't feel like you're vain for it. A lot of girls wear makeup that don't even have bad skin. Especially if you're only wearing foundation, you wont look all made up, you'll look natural and I'm sure beautiful :). So be confident and dont worry about what people think, I know it's hard but you just have to not wonder what they're thinking/saying about you.

thanks! i've heard of mineral makeup from my derm, maybe i'll give it a try - i heard it's expensive, though.

thanks for reading - i just had to vent. :wall:

I agree with Acceptance...the vast majority of women wear some makeup. It's hardly vain, it's almost an expected part of grooming. Even women who like a "natural" look often wear foundation.

If you're concerned about your makeup rubbing off, then I agree you may want to try a different kind. I'm also going to recommend powder mineral makeup, specifically Everyday Minerals (my favorite), as the powder helps absorb oil, it looks very natural but still covers acne, and it doesn't rub off easily. Head over to the cosmetics section if you need any more help on choosing products.

I know how it is about swimming and whatever though....it sucks to worry about your makeup coming off and your acne showing :comfort:. I've always wanted to be able to go to the beach and not have to wear any makeup (then I discovered almost NO woman does that).

Better makeup does help though. Sometimes even after swimming my makeup stays put. It takes soap to completely get it off.

Oh yeah I didn't even say which brand I use did I :) I use Everyday Minerals as well, They have samples you can try out a few shades for just shipping cost. They are really seriously pretty cheap, cheaper than the stuff in the stores for me anyways (if you use the kits it's only 5-6$ per container of foundation and they last for a long time )

I'd also like to recommend (if you end up trying Everyday minerals and like it) To try Natural Reflections Finishing powder. I've used it over my foundation, taken a shower and let it run over my face and splashed with water etc, and afterwards just patted dry with a towel and my makeup looking pretty close to perfect :). Worked for me and may help with sweating/swimming!

i hate wearing make-up too! it clogs my pores, it's like a never ending cycle of new zits and more make-up to cover them :(

i'm hoping for the day when i can finally wear no make-up and be confident because of clear skin

I never wear makeup day to day, even though my skin can get pretty bad sometimes. Makeup only makes my skin worse and often I do have the time or patience to put it on and take it all off and night. Blech. There are very few days throughout the year when I think my skin is bad enough to wear makeup for everyday use. I normally only wear makeup for parties, anywhere a camera will show up, or anywhere I have to make a good impression.

Honestly since it bugs you so much, try going without it. Since you work outdoors I think it will help clear your acne so your pores can breathe. Also, since you work outdoors you can really avoid mirrors. I had a hard time with that in the beginning but now its no big deal.

By the way, I have cystic acne and I still don't use make up regularly.

Hi- I am just new to this site. I was searching the internet today to try and find any solutions to reduce my scarring and general uglyness as i feel exactly the same as you! I have had bad skin for nearly 8 years and at this moment in time i really don't know what else to do- i have tried everything. sometimes it starts to get better and i start to feel happier and more confident and then i am just battered back down again by more breakouts and scarring!

I have used make-up over the whole period i have had acne. I used to hide in my room at night as i was ashamed to even let my family see me the way i was. I hate using make up and always feel like people think i use far too much- some of the people i went to uni with used to comment on how horrible make-up was in fron of me which just made me feel worse and even more unsightly!

I don't know how anyone else feels but for me it is also affecting my relationships too. I meet people when i have my make-up on but i just feel like if they ever saw me without it they would run a mile. I have had so many relationships where i have pushed people away as i am terrified of what they will think of me when they find out the real me.

I totally understand what you are going through- i feel totally trapped like i can't be myself.

xxx

Ok, I just have to rant about this...

I've had acne since i was about 10 and for the first couple years I just kind of shrugged it off. Mainly because I was too young to really comprehend everything it really meant, and it wasn't that bad. So after a few years it got worse and my mom gave me makeup to wear, and i was happy as a clam.

but now, i'm a 19 year old college freshman and i really fuc*ing hate to put makeup on every day. also, if i don't get clear, i think it'll end up impacting my career. i work at a horse stable now, and i hear some of the people i like making fun of some of the "stuck-up" girls at the barn who wear a lot of makeup (eye makeup included, and not for acne purposes). i don't wear eye makeup because even though i wear foundation and concealer, i want to appear as natural as possible. i just worry that people say the same thing about me behind my back. i'm not stuck up at all and i don't worry about my appearance, except for the acne. i'm a hard worker and i'm not afraid to get dirty doing barn work, etc.

and i eventually want to be a horse trainer/lesson instructor. i'm just afraid that, at that point, i still have to resort to wearing makeup, people will look down on me.

but i hate it for other reasons too. like, my first thought whenever i give someone a hug is "be careful or my makeup might rub off on thier shoulder" and whenever someone gets up close to my face i absolutely hate it, because they'll see my makeup. so, instinctually, i avert my eyes and barely look people in the eyes anyway. i don't want to seem rude or angry or disinterested or anything, but it's what i do. and whenever i see a makeup rub on the collar of one of my shirts after i put it on, i just want to punch a wall.

i literally think about my face and my makeup all the time. i just want a clear face. i want to not be afraid to go out in the rain, i don't want to be afraid to go swimming, or just touch my own face without worrying about rubbing my makeup off and exposing my acne.

and there's no way i'd be willing to go out without it. and this gives a false perception of me also. i'm not a vain person. i don't need to be in impeccable physical condition, or have my hair done perfectly or wear only the most "fashonable" clothes to feel good about myself. but when i put makeup on everyday, i feel like some sort of shallow, vain idiot.

i'm going to ask my mom if i can be put on accutane, i'm done with this bullsh*t. i just want my life back. in fact, i can't even accurately remember my life before i had to slather makeup on everyday - i'be been doing it since i was about 13. i just imagine being free of it and it seems like some kind of idyllic fantasy.

okay, i'm officially an over-emotional lump of sh*t. :boohoo: sorry.

I like wearing make-up cos it makes me feel more girly and attractive. Noone has ever made fun of me for wearing make-up, I don't pile it on or anything, takes me about 10-15 mins just to do my foundation, blusher and eye make-up. I'm not stuck-up cos I wear make-up, and if I had to go natural I guess I'd live but I'd feel a bit crap as I'm quite pale and I think I'd look a bit washed out.

When I had boyfriends, they'd see me without my makeup and be fine about it and sometimes prefer it, but it's just my personal preference to go out wearing make-up. I don't enjoy having to cover up spots all the time, but I'd still wear make-up if I had clear skin.

I also like to dress well and have my hair nice sometimes. I don't do this for anyone else but myself, everyone is vain to an extent, but I don't act vain towards anyone else, and I don't think I come across as a bad person for caring about my appearance.

I wouldn't go out in the day really dressed up as I'd feel embarrassed and wouldn't like any extra attention, but at night I love dressing up and I like looking my best whenever I can, unless I just can't be bothered.

There's nothing wrong with any of that and I don't put myself above people who don't wear make-up etc. It's all just personal preference.

Yeah i see what you mean. I think i would like wearing make-up if i felt that it actually made me look nicer tho. when i wear it at the moment it just looks like a cover up. I think it is just an insecurity thing with me maybe!

Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

I like wearing make-up cos it makes me feel more girly and attractive. Noone has ever made fun of me for wearing make-up, I don't pile it on or anything, takes me about 10-15 mins just to do my foundation, blusher and eye make-up. I'm not stuck-up cos I wear make-up, and if I had to go natural I guess I'd live but I'd feel a bit crap as I'm quite pale and I think I'd look a bit washed out.

When I had boyfriends, they'd see me without my makeup and be fine about it and sometimes prefer it, but it's just my personal preference to go out wearing make-up. I don't enjoy having to cover up spots all the time, but I'd still wear make-up if I had clear skin.

I also like to dress well and have my hair nice sometimes. I don't do this for anyone else but myself, everyone is vain to an extent, but I don't act vain towards anyone else, and I don't think I come across as a bad person for caring about my appearance.

I wouldn't go out in the day really dressed up as I'd feel embarrassed and wouldn't like any extra attention, but at night I love dressing up and I like looking my best whenever I can, unless I just can't be bothered.

There's nothing wrong with any of that and I don't put myself above people who don't wear make-up etc. It's all just personal preference.