Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KryptoKnight

The cause of my acne - Creatine (Weightlifters)

To all those weightlifters going to the gym and using creatine, I highly suggest trying out a week without any sort of supplement, especially creatine.

I had recently come off creatine for no real reason, I just ran out of the stuff. To my surprise in 3 days my face got significantly better and I've been pimple free for about 8 days now, something that has NEVER happened to me.

I've been lifting weights for about the past 3 years pretty consistently. I've almost always used creatine and I drink PLENTY of water, about 1-1.5 gallons.

I've been on accutane and when my acne started coming back I really didn't know what it was. I've been super frustrated with it up until last week, when I stopped taking creatine.

It's miraculous really how something so simple was causing this crap to show up on my face.

I highly doubt it's a coincidence.

I don't doubt it is a coincidence either. It sounds like you definitely get enough water, and if you drink that water throughout the day, then it is probably not dehydration that is causing the acne like I was thinking it might. (for those people who are unfamiliar with creatine, creatine will cause your body to send more water to your muscles and away from other bodily functions, so you will need to drink more water to remain hydrated.) interesting. I've never taken creatine, though. recently I've been taking nitrotech (made by muscletech), and the three week span that I was able to really focus on my lifting and on my diet (balancing for acne AND lifting) , I noticed a significant increase in strength. I didn't notice my skin get any worse, either

i used to supplement creatine for quite some time and it never caused me any serious breakouts or anything acne related that i would link to creatine.

but it sounds indeed interesting...

yep, creatine is bad for the liver

same thing with milk and breakouts for me

it sucks

but I suggest an egg white protein powder for weightlifting

It's because of creatine that some acne sufferers are afraid to work out. They say working out "breaks them out", when it's not the work out, it's the supplements that they take (creatine, whey, No Xplode, the list goes on).

If lifting heavy items caused acne, the world would be in serious trouble.

I started taking creatine (as a part of cytogainer) a few weeks ago, and it didnt affect my acne, but I found it can dehydrate you if you don't drink enough water, so that may be what causes the acne for some people.

I don't doubt it is a coincidence either. It sounds like you definitely get enough water, and if you drink that water throughout the day, then it is probably not dehydration that is causing the acne like I was thinking it might. (for those people who are unfamiliar with creatine, creatine will cause your body to send more water to your muscles and away from other bodily functions, so you will need to drink more water to remain hydrated.) interesting. I've never taken creatine, though. recently I've been taking nitrotech (made by muscletech), and the three week span that I was able to really focus on my lifting and on my diet (balancing for acne AND lifting) , I noticed a significant increase in strength. I didn't notice my skin get any worse, either

Creatine undoubtedly gave me acne. It didn't cause it, but it was definitely worse whenever I was taking it. I took cell-tech which is one of the worst cuz it contains insane amounts of sugar in order to facilitate the creatine uptake of muscles. NO Explode was pretty bad too cuz it had a ****load of caffeine and other stuff in it.

And it is possible for glutamine to aggrivate acne as well. I'm not sure if it did for me. If it did it was nothing like creatine. But if you just search "glutamine acne" or "glutamine cause acne" in google you'll see alot of people finding a direct correlation.

Creatine is fine as long as it doesn't break you out. Just like milk or wheat you can eat it if it doesn't affect you in a negative way, ie causing you acne. In fact creatine is found in meat and vegetarians who were supplemented with creatine showed greater mental and athletic performance. Its not some sterioid product, its just a supplement that actually happens to work.

Creatine 'boosts brain power'

Just want to mention;

Nitrotech contains growth hormone and a lot of other shit I have read. I can't find where I read it, because it's almost a year ago. Muscletech products are not in sale in Norway, Nitrotech is considered a medicine here.. (like a lot of stuff is)

There are a lot suspicious products in sale outside this country :o

I tried it for a period though.. didn't notice much..

just a weight lifters diet in general will own you if you have acne prone skin.

i always had a few zits here and there... and after lifting, drinking hella milk, all types of food all day, after 2 months, is when it starting getting really bad. its in good control now with taz/duac, but damnnn it was bad :)

I am pretty disappointed that I can't take creatine anymore, but I'll easily take a clear face over creatine any day.

I'm hesitant to try other creatine-free supplements since I decided to take a break from all my sups altogether.

A BB'rs diet can have positive and negative effects on one's skin. Overall we are much healthier IMO, but we do consume a butt load of dairy (many of us), and dairy affects many of us.

^At least we drink tons of water...

And on Glutamine, IMO it's a worthless supp. If you want a supplement that will help endurance, reduce muscle loss (on a cut), and help with soreness, definitely check out Purple Wraath by Controlled Labs or Xtend.

Omg! You have taken creatine for 3 years??? How much did you take a day?

Extra creatine is very hard on the liver... when you supplement with it you can only do that for a couple of weeks (2-4weeks on and then 2-4weeks off), else it looses much of it effect. The body becomes lazy and doesnt absorb the largest part anymore and its broken down and excreted.

I am pretty disappointed that I can't take creatine anymore, but I'll easily take a clear face over creatine any day.

I'm hesitant to try other creatine-free supplements since I decided to take a break from all my sups altogether.

A BB'rs diet can have positive and negative effects on one's skin. Overall we are much healthier IMO, but we do consume a butt load of dairy (many of us), and dairy affects many of us.

And on Glutamine, IMO it's a worthless supp. If you want a supplement that will help endurance, reduce muscle loss (on a cut), and help with soreness, definitely check out Purple Wraath by Controlled Labs or Xtend.

Omg! You have taken creatine for 3 years??? How much did you take a day?

Extra creatine is very hard on the liver... when you supplement with it you can only do that for a couple of weeks (2-4weeks on and then 2-4weeks off), else it looses much of it effect. The body becomes lazy and doesnt absorb the largest part anymore and its broken down and excreted.

This is the first time I heard anyone say glutamine is worthless. Everyone I've talked to has said it is great for recovery. And I also read somewhere that it helps the digestive tract.

Are you still taking whey protein?

To all those weightlifters going to the gym and using creatine, I highly suggest trying out a week without any sort of supplement, especially creatine.

I had recently come off creatine for no real reason, I just ran out of the stuff. To my surprise in 3 days my face got significantly better and I've been pimple free for about 8 days now, something that has NEVER happened to me.