Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Displaythis

Any 23+ accutane users?

most of the people here seem to be teenagers. I dont even know why some doctors prescribe accutane for these teenagers who only have mild to moderate acne. These are the same people who easily get cured by accutane.

I was wandering if accutane had to do a bit with age as well. I mean for teenagers their hormones are uncontrollable but how about for us elderly ( im 23). Or could it be the opposite? Are us elders much more likely to be cured by accutane rather than going for like 2nd and 3rd trials?

Im 22 (23 next month). The general rule is that the younger you are, the less effective accutane tends to be because the acne could be more hormonal and you could 'grow out of it'.

I took accutane when i was 14, on a scale of 1-10 (10 being really bad) my acne would have been about a 6 but i had tried just about every drug under the sun since i was 11. The accutane results lasted 7 years and now im on a second course because my acne came back thankfully this time it is quite mild but to be 22 and still have acne is frustrating.

Your location and dermatologist has alot to do with how easily you are able to obtain accutane. If i lived in the states i daresay i would have had a hard time finding a derm that thought my acne was bad enough to warrant accutane. Thankfully mine understood where i was coming from, and my dosage is fairly low (20mg a day) so the risks arent as high.

My skin is fantastic at the moment (touch wood) the best it has been for about 18 months :)

Not sure if age is related...although 23 doesn't really qualify as an elder :) I'm 31 had my first course of accutane at 20, never got rid of it completely but maintaned pretty good for the last 9 or 10 years. Everyone is different...

Just wanted to chime in and say I'm 29 years old and on my third accutane course. The first was at 16 and my acne was mild, but didn't respond to any treatment (topical or oral) for the previous 5 years. That lasted until I was 19, when I took a second tane course due to a return of mild acne. I had relatively clear skin from 19 until 29, when I started getting moderate acne. Previous to starting this third course, I had taken fertility drugs for 1 year, trying to conceive a second child (which ultimately didn't work). Unfortunately, acne is a side effect of some fertility drugs and I fell into that category.

I can say, this course has been the worst one yet, in terms of side effects, although they've all been similar in dose. Maybe I'm just less tolerent, but before I had only chapped lips. Now I can barely wear my contacts, my eyes are so dry and my skin is literally peeling and flaking off my face. However, my dermatologist seems resonably confident that this should take care of it and said it was unlikely I would have had such a reoccurance had I not taken all the fertility drugs I did.

Im 22 (23 next month). The general rule is that the younger you are, the less effective accutane tends to be because the acne could be more hormonal and you could 'grow out of it'.

I took accutane when i was 14, on a scale of 1-10 (10 being really bad) my acne would have been about a 6 but i had tried just about every drug under the sun since i was 11. The accutane results lasted 7 years and now im on a second course because my acne came back thankfully this time it is quite mild but to be 22 and still have acne is frustrating.

Your location and dermatologist has alot to do with how easily you are able to obtain accutane. If i lived in the states i daresay i would have had a hard time finding a derm that thought my acne was bad enough to warrant accutane. Thankfully mine understood where i was coming from, and my dosage is fairly low (20mg a day) so the risks arent as high.

My skin is fantastic at the moment (touch wood) the best it has been for about 18 months :)

I'm 25 started in October of last year. Pretty much have cleared up besides the occasional stress induced breakout, but that lasts a day tops.

I'm 21 and taking it for the first time. My understanding is that the older you are when you start, the more likely you are to experience a permanent or at least a very long-lasting remission. So if you take it in your early-mid twenties, you figure most people grow out of acne by the time they hit 30 or so (barring hormonal acne in women), you should be in damn good shape.

I don't know why doctors prescribe Accutane for teenagers. Frankly, at 14-17ish, it's probably just going to come back anyway.

I'm 21 and taking it for the first time. My understanding is that the older you are when you start, the more likely you are to experience a permanent or at least a very long-lasting remission. So if you take it in your early-mid twenties, you figure most people grow out of acne by the time they hit 30 or so (barring hormonal acne in women), you should be in damn good shape.

I don't know why doctors prescribe Accutane for teenagers. Frankly, at 14-17ish, it's probably just going to come back anyway.

The acne might go away, but the scars might not. If the derm thinks that scarring is going to be an issue, then 'tane might very well be the way to go, even for teens.

most of the people here seem to be teenagers. I dont even know why some doctors prescribe accutane for these teenagers who only have mild to moderate acne. These are the same people who easily get cured by accutane.

I was wandering if accutane had to do a bit with age as well. I mean for teenagers their hormones are uncontrollable but how about for us elderly ( im 23). Or could it be the opposite? Are us elders much more likely to be cured by accutane rather than going for like 2nd and 3rd trials?

Accutane can cause birth defects in kids if taken during pregnancy. Make sure that you are on birthcontrol if you are taking accutane. Do talk to your doctor about accutane risks.

-Christine