Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I had braces when I was younger but since having them taken off 5 years ago my teeth have almost gone back to their original position. I know I need braces again. I have considered other options but money is a bit of an issue just now so I can't afford veneers or anything. I'm just not sure how I feel at the possibility of having to wear braces again at 20. Does anyone here wear braces? I'm pretty worried about being more spotty than I was as a teen and having a mouth full of metal! What do you guys think? Is it worth it? I keep telling myself I don't care what others think, but I think I do!

They went back into their original position? Did you wear a retainer for the proper amount of time afterwards?

I'm close to 18 (one more month) and I got braces. I don't think its a big deal, it's not like anybody will actually call me metal-head or brace-face or anything stupid. Hopefully by 18-20 people are more mature than that?

I'm 26 and I have braces. I made the decision to get braces when I was 24. My teeth were always and issue. They werent' too bad, but I hated smiling in pictures because my canines were rotated 90 degress on both sides......leaving my canines looking like really pointy fangs with big gaps on both sides of them.....which made it look like I was missing teeth. When I got engaged I decided I wanted straight teeth for my wedding (which is yet to happen).

I had originally wanted Invisalign, and that's why I decided to fix my teeth. I really wanted Invisalign and not braces. But my orthodiontis said I needed real braces. Invisalign can't rotate teeth 90 degres, and it can fix a severe overbite (didn't know that I had). Also my midline was totally off (so it wasn't my face that was crooked when I smiled....it was my teeth).

I got ceramic uppers and metal lowers (I had a really deep bite). The ceramic on top are kinda hard too see and when people ask if I have braces....they only think I have them on the bottom. I got them about a year ago after wearing an appliance on the roof of my mouth to move my molars back on the top.....

Yeah it's weird being an adult with braces, but I've been told even before braces that I look 15 so it's not such a bad thing. I though my fiance wa sgoing to freak out.....but he doesn't mind them at all. My teeth have moved so much in the past year. I'm getting them off in probably a few months.......then I'll have nice teeth, which will be worth it.

Is Invisalign a possibility for you? It costs a bit more than braces, but it's worth it because they are really hard to see. It works if your teeth are crowded, tipped back or foward and your bite isn't too bad......oh and it doesn't work if your teeth are rotated......

I had braces when I was younger but since having them taken off 5 years ago my teeth have almost gone back to their original position. I know I need braces again. I have considered other options but money is a bit of an issue just now so I can't afford veneers or anything. I'm just not sure how I feel at the possibility of having to wear braces again at 20. Does anyone here wear braces? I'm pretty worried about being more spotty than I was as a teen and having a mouth full of metal! What do you guys think? Is it worth it? I keep telling myself I don't care what others think, but I think I do!

If you've gotten a few opinions, and they say you need braces, I'd just get

it over with. And maybe you won't need 'em that long this time 'cause you've

already gone through it. :D

I had braces, so I know it sucks, but if I needed 'em again I would do it, it's

worth it.

I wore my retainers for a year (as far as I remember) then I only had to wear them at night for 6 months. To be honest I'd be happy to wear them every night forever if it kept them in position!

My dentist was horrible and I swear he took them off too soon just so he could tick me off his list. I wasn't even happy with my teeth when the braces came off. They haven't completely gone back to how they were but I have really widely spaced teeth and I just don't think they look nice at all. I'm going to see exactly what my options are so I can make a decision. I really want something done about my teeth and I'd rather get it done sooner than later. I think I would prefer ceramic braces, I've heard a lot about invisalign but I'm not sure I want them. I saw a girl wearing them and I didn't like how they looked.

I'm 20 and I have braces. I got them first year of uni. I was pretty pissed off lol, wanted those invisalign but couldn't get them because they don't adjust underbites. I was self-conscious at first, but you get used to it. Also, I've seen some people at my school with braces too so it doesn't bother me so much.

I am 24 and I have braces. They may not come off until I am 25, but hopefully I only have 6 months left. I've had them a year and a half so far. I have the plain old metal ones with pink ligatures right now :D

Invisalign would've been literally twice the cost & would take even longer.

It can be weird as an adult & makes you seem younger, but I hated my teeth so much it made no difference to how I felt about my smile. I smile more now with braces, as my teeth already look sooo much better.

I know it will be worth it when they are off too. The more I talk to people, I've met many who've had braces as adults. It's getting more & more common.

Most of the guys I've met haven't thought much of it, or at least they haven't said anything....

I had braces when I was in junior high but my teeth went crooked again over the years to the point where I needed them straightened again a couple of years ago. Since my problem was mainly with overcrowding and a few teeth going crooked in the front and sides I was able to get invisalign and they did a great job. I did need to have quite a few of my teeth 'reshaped' (basically filed down) so that they would all fit but it really wasn't that bad. I have a retainer that I wear every night now, and probably will wear for the rest of my life. If you are really concerned you can always have a permanent retainer affixed to the back of your teeth after they are straightened so that they will not move again.

Having your teeth straighted for a second time as an adult is really not uncommon... once I started the process many people commented to me that they needed braces a second time or knew someone who needed them a second time.

Teeth are teeth... When did we get so vain we need metal in our mouths?

Blah, blah, blah.... Go for the invisible ones. They seem great and easy to use, unlike braces that are in your mouth 24/7.

I'd get them. The sooner the better. Make sure you tell your dentist that you previously had braces. I'd wear a retainer for life, if I had to, too. In the long run, correction of mal-occlusions usually can offset a variety of dental issues and can help you to retain your teeth better and longer. I think it's a very worthwhile investment of both time and money.

I'm turning 34 this month and I have braces. Get the clear porcelain type and make sure you wear your retainers in future. Not only did I have acne (which is almost clearing now thanks to mandelic acid), but I am much older and pregnant. Not a good look but I get by. LOL

I had invisalign and my teeth look awesome now :) i had the opportunity to have normal braces when i was in my mid teens but i thought they looked ugly so im glad i waited till invisalign was developed.

This is going to sound weird and probably kind of gross (sorry!) ....but the main reason i didnt want normal braces was because lets face it, teeth on um peoples rudey bits are bad enough without having teeth plus metally bits! yes, i thought about everything.

Invisalign is great because you can take them out if you need to. That said, not everyones a candidate obviously and in that case i would just get the white porcelain brackets and white wires which are pretty invisible as they are :)

I wasn't a candidate for Invisalign. I don't have a problem with braces and kissing or the rudey bit thing. My husband doesn't notice, put it that way. I know in U.S. you can get the white wires with your porcelain brackets. I am not aware that in Australia we have that option. Consequently mine are porcelain with silver wires. I have experimented with coloured o-bands or ligatures (whatever you call them) and I have found the best colours to be clear or pale blue.

At the end of my treatment, instead of a retainer for the bottom teeth, mine are going to be glued. Not sure how that works but means I don't have to permanently wear the silver thing at the bottom of my lower teeth. My ortho said teeth move your whole life so you should wear the top retainer at night for the rest of your life. He said if you don't feel comfortable wearing it every night then every second or third night is fine.

I had braces for just over 7 years when I was younger (finally got them off aged 16) and I'm so glad they're sorted now. My front 2 teeth stuck out loads and I had a big overbite so kids would make the typical goofy type jokes. It'll probably be a bit weirder seens as you're a little older, but it's gotta be worth a year or two of suffering if it'll mean lovely teeth for the rest of your life. Make sure you get an othodontist you trust, then go for it.

Besides, chicks with braces are hot ;)

teeth move slightly inwards and forwards in your mid-20s anyway. Mine moved back after a brace.

I had braces for 4 years from ages 12-(almost) 16 and now at 31 i find that 5 of my bottom teeth have gone crooked and it's annoying. I've been thinking for a long time about getting braces put on my bottom teeth again and the only thing stopping me is $$. I have a couple bills I'm paying off and when that's done then I'll be getting them. Other peoples opinions of you don't matter..if braces will make YOU happy and make YOU feel better about yourself in the end then go for it.

The more I think about braces the more I think I want them. I thought about veneers before but to be honest I think it'd be really strange to have completely different teeth overnight! Notbad, but really strange, people would be very confused. My appointment is costing like £50, I really don't know what this entails. Anyone know what happens on your first appointment?