Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
julialalala

Would you be the same person if you didnt have acne?

Yesterday, when i was in bed, waiting to fall asleep i was wondering would i be the same person if i didnt have acne. Would i have the same interests and the same personality.

I dont think so. Before, when i was 13 (when i could hide my acne and my skin seemed perfect), i used to hang out with those rebelious girls that took drugs and were already drinking. I wasnt the same. I didnt think the same way and all..

I changed a lot. Acne changed me! I hang out with those really nice kids and have good grades and my personality is totally different.

All this because of acne. I didnt want to go out anymore. (i still dont want to go out) I didnt want to see my friends. I was depressed and was tired of hearing them complain all the time about stupid stuff and being so mean. One day i decided to stop hanging out with them. I prefered being alone then spending my time with them.

How about you? Would you be different if you wouldnt have or dealed with acne?

Well of course acne has made me more self conscious and less outgoing but I feel like I'm still the same person. And about your friends group, isn't it better that you stayed away from the "rebellious" crowd..? And I understand about not wanting to go out. I hadn't left my house for six months (holy crap) because I was really, really depressed about what I looked like. I only went out IF it was to drive around in a car or IF my very close friends came to visit me at my house. However, Christmas day we had to have people over.. so I was forced to put on makeup and see everybody. For the past couple of days I have been going out.. baby stepsssss.. and I really do feel a lot better. You should really try to get out.. even hang out with a close friend that you obviously know isn't going to judge you or say anything hurtful and just try to have a good time.. it will be good for you. I know it's hard.. anytime anyone ever asked me to go out I was like "Hahaha........yeah right." And just think about it.. you're on accutane and soon it will work its wonders on you and you won't have to worry about this anymoreeeee. I wish you the best of luck! :dance:

interesting thread!

well, there are many theories about identity in psychology and philosophy. some associate personhood as a summation of experiences, others citing innate charachter (classic nature v. nurture idea).

then there's the theory of interdependant arising which would probably blend those two...

but i think some of the more intersting stuff is the mind/body connection in philosophy of mind. and since that field as of late has rejected substance dualism (material body/immaterial mind-soul) then perhaps. if the body is connected to identity... then perhaps acne is connected to identity. but then again so is everthing phsyical, so i think the weight attached depends to the induvidual.

hmmmm!!!!!!

*thinks.....*

i would say absolutely. i can in fact recall a moment in my life when exactly my personality changed. i was on vacation in hawaii with my family 2 years into college (when my acne became severe cystic acne). i wanted to spend most of my time in the hotel room because the sun and humidity would tear my skin apart. if it weren't for my acne, i would have had the time of my life, but my mom noticed i was down and commented that i had changed. i didn't admit to her that acne was bringing me down, but it was. ever since then, i have very rarely felt any joy, and never enjoyed going out. i do go out nowadays, but this is just to avoid insanity. my acne had no doubt made me less connected with people and honestly quite miserable most of the time. i even had a bit of a panic attack this past summer because i was reflecting on how much acne has changed me.

I think if I didn't have acne I wouldn't have social interaction problems, and i'd actually have friends and would be enjoying going to college and trying to meet people and stuff.

Theres so many things that acne did to my personality and the way I act

-Don't want to be around people in general

-Cant look people in the eyes

-stare at the floor

-get anxiety attacks in rooms with florescent bright lights *shivers*

-generally unable to talk to people, especially girls

I remember when I was turning 11 and I FINALLY started to not be so

cripplingly shy, actually look at people and talk to them, then I got acne

and just totally shut down. I was always shy but geeze, it was aweful with

acne. Most likely I would've been a very different person. A better person?

Probably not, but different, definitely.

To be honest i would probably be a complete asshole you know those rich kids that have everything and dont really care for anything cause they dont have too. Not to mention I'd probably be bragging to everyone that i'm going to some hella good college an they're not. so yeah in a way acne made me a better a person an a extremely patient person.

i went from the kid that smokes weed, drinks and partied every night, funny/show offy, excelled in whatever i did, very popular, etc...

to a recluse..

i have all these 'nice' clothes in my closet that i dont even bother wearing, i dont answer my endless amounts of phone calls, and live a completely hidden life with lame excuses. all this came about in a period of about 2 months...

and the funny thing is... once my tazorac/mino/duac start working, ill re emerge as the exact same kid i was when i was clear with the differin/tetracycline over summer/previously.

its remarkable what acne can do to a person... but ive undoubtedly learned alot about myself and where to put my values in life. i never again will judge a person on looks or any of the petty bullshit that goes along with life that isn't opened up once you, yourself, experiene 'ugliness'.

I`d like to hope not. I would be very dissapointed if life was re-run again without acne being added in, and still resulted in this same outcome.

I would expect to be a more developed person in all area if didnt have skin issue. Simply a better all rounder in every capacity. Socialbilty, emotional,intelecutual development,Mental health, more engaging positive personality,higher job level. Relationship. All those are at absloute base levels of what is achievable. But all are interdependent, without one cannot fully progress in other area. Take jobs, all require reasonable level of human interaction and interpersonnel acomplishment. If havent got the communcation aspect, extremely limited to how far can advance. Same again with attaining life partner, social groups all rely in some part of interaction skills.

Skin issue has simply resulted in a inferior developed person.

To be honest i would probably be a complete asshole you know those rich kids that have everything and dont really care for anything cause they dont have too. Not to mention I'd probably be bragging to everyone that i'm going to some hella good college an they're not. so yeah in a way acne made me a better a person an a extremely patient person.

Before acne, I was more brash and I suppose a lot less paranoid about other people's perception of me. But yeah, as soon as it struck I became more reclusive; but not to the extreme, if that makes sense.

I doubt I would have the same general opinion of people that I hold now though if I didn't have acne; and that is that sadly the majority are superficial, and some are even tactless and down right horrible individuals.

For all the wrongs that acne inflicts, there is one profound benefit that I have come across; you will find out sooner or later the true character of the people around you. Whether for better or worse is another story though...

if i hadnt gotten acne as bad as i did i think i would of kept messing my life up like i wus doing almost 2 years ago. i use to hang around coke & pot dealers, i did drugs, drank to the point to where i would blackout,always went to partys,getting arrested, had many freinds, and wus an asshole to my parents. but now with all this thats happened i changed alot , i apprecitae and talk to my parents now because they are the ones that stuck by me and helped me, i keep to myself now, ive realized how much of a jerk i wus thinking i wus better than otehr people, i dont judge nobody, and in a way this stupid acne was a blessing cuz it stopped me from going down the wrong road in life.

No I wouldnt be the same person at all, before I got acne I was very very different.

In fact I try not to consider my current personality my "true" personality, I like to think of it as a temporary side effect of Acne. But the truth is that having severe acne has changed me, When I finally get clear I wont be the person I used to be, and although I wont stray far from my old personality some key factors will probably change. For the better or worse its hard to say. Going through something like severe acne will change ANY person some way or another IMO

if i hadnt gotten acne as bad as i did i think i would of kept messing my life up like i wus doing almost 2 years ago. i use to hang around coke & pot dealers, i did drugs, drank to the point to where i would blackout,always went to partys,getting arrested, had many freinds, and wus an asshole to my parents. but now with all this thats happened i changed alot , i apprecitae and talk to my parents now because they are the ones that stuck by me and helped me, i keep to myself now, ive realized how much of a jerk i wus thinking i wus better than otehr people, i dont judge nobody, and in a way this stupid acne was a blessing cuz it stopped me from going down the wrong road in life.

Alot of you are saying how acne has helped your relationships with your parents, Im definately the same, Ive got a lot closer to my 'rents since I got acne and without my mums support I probably would have topped my self. Ok I probably wouldnt have but I would have been real messed up (more so then I am now)

I consider myself very very fortunate to have such an understanding family and because of acne I have learnt not to take it for granted.

I'd have a lot easier time with girls. Platonically and romantically. And I could focus on other aspects of my appearance, like fitness and style rather than brooding over skin. I do focus on the other two already but they are overshadowed by bad complexion.

I would have better relationships with everyone, across the board. And that means all other things being equal, just with better skin and consequently appearance. I would be viewed more favorably by family, friends and relatives.

If I didn't have acne I'd still want to be a emo loser. o.o

I like being a loser...its my life....

Not having acne would help the boyfriend thing, but I'm fine being alone BF wise.

So all together I'd still pretty much be the same person without acne that I am now with the acne.

I wouldn't be the same person... i would be so confident and arrogant and think, "You are not worthy of me"

The good side: Acne made me EMPATHETIC which i hate because i feel so much pain

Acne changes a person, it honestly does. It makes you more compassionate, on the other hand, it strips you of self confidence.

I think we should all have acne for one month tops.

Kind of like chickenpox, mostly everyone gets it, but it passes after a week or two.

i know i'd have a girlfriend right now, instead of talking it up on here.

but whatever, this is the life i'm given, this is the life i'll live.

I would NOT be the same person if i didnt have acne!!! i would be a more free and happy person!!! i feel i have so much potential and so much to offer but because of my skin i am being held back!! i had enough and im going to fight back ! i wana be the real me!!!

Yesterday, when i was in bed, waiting to fall asleep i was wondering would i be the same person if i didnt have acne. Would i have the same interests and the same personality.

I dont think so. Before, when i was 13 (when i could hide my acne and my skin seemed perfect), i used to hang out with those rebelious girls that took drugs and were already drinking. I wasnt the same. I didnt think the same way and all..

I changed a lot. Acne changed me! I hang out with those really nice kids and have good grades and my personality is totally different.

All this because of acne. I didnt want to go out anymore. (i still dont want to go out) I didnt want to see my friends. I was depressed and was tired of hearing them complain all the time about stupid stuff and being so mean. One day i decided to stop hanging out with them. I prefered being alone then spending my time with them.

How about you? Would you be different if you wouldnt have or dealed with acne?