Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
otis20

Chemical peels

Hey all, my scars are currently bothering more than ever. Unfortunately i look at myself under bad light and just seem to think that is how i look all the time which i know is not the case but i am sure most of you can understand how i feel.

Now my scars are not that bad ill admit, its pretty mild, my friends and parents say they dont notice it unless i point it out and my dermatologist says they are negligble. However, i look in the mirror and i can plainly see them especially when fully shaven. I would put pictures up but it doesn't really do it justice.

Anyway getting to the point, i have reviewed these forums extensively and have been reading up on chemical peels and i was wondering how effective they were on fixing shallow to moderate scarring and some sun spots. Especially the Phenol-based peels which is the deeper type of chemical peel.

There is pitting on either side of my cheek and some rolling scars i think - not sure exactly what type they are but they look like rolling from what i have read. A couple of sun spots on my forehead which is really stupid of me, i have started to wear sunblock more often now.

Thanks for your responses i appreciate it. Its good to have a site where everybody can relate to the same problem.

Well i wanted to do something that was more under the supervision of someone experienced in dealing with something like this. Especially if it is a deep peel then it is medical and needs to be done in sterile condition. Surely someone here can explain the risks involved and whether such a peel is going to improve my type of scarring.

otis20,

There are several good threads on here about TCA, TCA CROSS and APeel. Please study them very carefully before doing anything, though, because TCA is a strong acid. TCA CROSS and TCA or APeel Peels will definitely smooth out your skin and make your complextion much healthier looking. There are several places to purchase TCA from, like Loganwood and PerfectComplection and MyTCAPeel...

TCA, in percentages from 12.5% up to 100%, is what most dermatologists use for peels and for Chemical Reconstruction Of Scars (CROSS). A lot of doctors will not go above 35% for TCA CROSS, though. And for home use, don't go above 20-25%. This is ACID and it can severely burn your skin if too strong a concentration is used. Also, a skin patch test is recommended.

If there is complete tissue loss then they have to be excised by a plastic surgeon, who will use layered stitches to prevent the scar(s) from sinking back in. You want to go to a Plastic Surgeon for this because they are skilled in tissue repair, not a dermatologist. Then, a peel (which you could do yourself) or laser treatment will help to blend in the fine white linear scar(s)...

Jan31

Thanks for your response.

I have read the threads and the internet i just basically wanted a response to my particular situation. I will look into a derm doing it, i just dont trust myself when dealing with something that could go very wrong very easily. But from what i have read it seems as if a medium peel will be beneficial for my skin obviously im not expecting a 100 percent improvement, from what i have seen that is not impossible but a 50 percent improvement would be nice.

Another thing that i have not managed to find in other threads is whether there are any long term issues associated with it. Since i went on roaccutane i have had very dry skin that i have to constantly maintain, would stripping away another layer of skin potentially in the long term have a negative impact on it in that regard? I have been off it for 2 yrs now and still suffer dryness especially in the winter time.

Thanks for your response.

I have read the threads and the internet i just basically wanted a response to my particular situation. I will look into a derm doing it, i just dont trust myself when dealing with something that could go very wrong very easily. But from what i have read it seems as if a medium peel will be beneficial for my skin obviously im not expecting a 100 percent improvement, from what i have seen that is not impossible but a 50 percent improvement would be nice.

Another thing that i have not managed to find in other threads is whether there are any long term issues associated with it. Since i went on roaccutane i have had very dry skin that i have to constantly maintain, would stripping away another layer of skin potentially in the long term have a negative impact on it in that regard? I have been off it for 2 yrs now and still suffer dryness especially in the winter time.

otis20, Hi, I was on accutaine in my teens and then I had TCA CROSS treatments done 10 years later...I understand the TCA peeling process to be one of collagen stimulation...I didn't experience drier or thinner skin, but the derm only used 35% TCA. It made my skin very silky and fresh and healthy looking. It's like this even now, almost 4 years later... Also, I didn't end up with permanently dryer skin because of accutaine. I did, however, end up being permanently night blind in one eye... :confused: Jan31