Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dos19

Folliculitis & Seborrheic Dermatitis

Hi all,

I’m a new member so wasn’t exactly sure where to post my questions, so I thought this to be as appropriate a forum as any.

By way of background, I have been on Roaccutane twice. My derm requested a skin biopsy after I still appeared to have acne which revealed “acute folliculitis and perifolliculitis…plentiful gram positive cocci are also present…suggesting bacterial folliculitis.†I was also later diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp.

My regime thus far has been:

• Scalp and Face – Every other night I wash my face and scalp with Nizoral Shampoo (2%) or Stieprox Shampoo (1.5%). In between these days I use just ordinary mild shampoo. I alternate between Nizoral and Stieprox on the advice of my derm as she says this will prevent any resistance being built up against Nizoral shampoo.

• Face wash – I use NeoStrata’s NeoCeuticals PHA Clarifying Facial Cleanser. I like this product as it contains Triclosan which I understand to be very helpful against folliculitis.

• Hair Gel – I have just started to use Aloe Vera Gel instead of normal hair gel as I understand it’s helpful for seborrheic dermatitis.

• Face care – I use Duac Once Daily Gel (which contains Clindamycin 1% w/w and Anhydrous 5% w/w) every night particularly after shaving.

• Shaving – Shaving is very problematic. After every shave new pimples or a bump seem to erupt. I stopped using an electric razor on the advice of my doctor as she said it might spread the bacteria. She suggested using a disposable razor and throwing it way after every shave or two. I have been following this advice but it doesn’t seem to working as well as I thought and the expense and waster of throwing away a perfectly good razor is annoying me!

• Omega 3 Supplement – I take an omega 3 tablet every night as I understand that it is helpful for these conditions

The above regime doesn’t really provide me with consistently clear skin or sclap and shaving in particular is a bit of an ordeal. I would be grateful if anyone with experience of folliculitis and/or seborrheic dermatitis could review the above and make comments on my regime.

In particular,

• I am looking for a list of alternative products (especially OTC products) to the above as I would like to have more options and indeed alternative products might be cheaper.

• Whether it is possible to bulk-buy disposable razors over the internet which presumably would be cheaper than the store.

Many thanks

Hi,

Sounds like you have a good regimen from your doctor. If you are looking for other ideas at some point, you might try a mandelic product - I would recommend both the Vivant 15% mandelic serum and the Vivant Mandelic Cleanser. I have had an ongoing problem with folliculitis on my body. Nizoral worked great for about 3-4 wks, then stopped working. I started using the Vivant mandelic cleanser in the morning, and then I still use the Nizoral every third night or so. Two out of three nights I use the mandelic serum on my chest and upper back. This combo has kept me the clearest that I've been in awhile. Mandelic is both antifungal and antibacterial, so it should work for fungal or bacterial folliculitis and also for acne.

Here is a description of the cleanser:

Mandelic Acid Cleanser

If you have embarrassing scalp conditions (like stubborn dandruff or scalp acne), Vivant has formulated a new all-encompassing cleanser. This cleanser is effective as a facial cleanser, shampoo and/or body cleanser. Specifically aimed at aiding individuals with seborrheic dermatitis, stubborn dandruff and folliculitus, it helps in the reduction of dandruff by hindering Pityrosporum development and its antibacterial action helps with acne/pustules of the scalp. This powerful shampoo and body cleanser incorporates the antibacterial action of Mandelic Acid along with the antioxidant powers of Japanese Green Tea, Grape Seed, Kiwi and Honey to effectively cleanse the face, hair, scalp and body and to restore healthy skin.

And there’s more…when used as a body cleanser, its antibacterial properties also helps in body odor control of the groin and axilla (underarm) areas. Just lather up and leave on the body or scalp for 2-5 minutes. Then rinse thoroughly with warm water.

Features and Benefits:

Newly formulated all in one cleanser

Aids in treatment of seborrheic dermatitis

Aids in treatment of stubborn dandruff

Aids in treatment of folliculitus

Hinders Pityrosporum development

Kills bacteria that causes acne, groin odor and axilla odor

Thanks very much for the reply willow569, which sounds very promising. I hadn't heard of mandelic before.

Just by way of follow-up questions (if you happen to know, of course):

What is the cost of the Vivant Mandelic Cleanser and Vivant Mandelic Serum ?

Is it possible to order online (as I am based outside the US)?

Do you know of any other manufacturer apart from Vivant which produce the mandelic products?

Thanks again.

Hi,

Sounds like you have a good regimen from your doctor. If you are looking for other ideas at some point, you might try a mandelic product - I would recommend both the Vivant 15% mandelic serum and the Vivant Mandelic Cleanser. I have had an ongoing problem with folliculitis on my body. Nizoral worked great for about 3-4 wks, then stopped working. I started using the Vivant mandelic cleanser in the morning, and then I still use the Nizoral every third night or so. Two out of three nights I use the mandelic serum on my chest and upper back. This combo has kept me the clearest that I've been in awhile. Mandelic is both antifungal and antibacterial, so it should work for fungal or bacterial folliculitis and also for acne.

Here is a description of the cleanser:

Mandelic Acid Cleanser

If you have embarrassing scalp conditions (like stubborn dandruff or scalp acne), Vivant has formulated a new all-encompassing cleanser. This cleanser is effective as a facial cleanser, shampoo and/or body cleanser. Specifically aimed at aiding individuals with seborrheic dermatitis, stubborn dandruff and folliculitus, it helps in the reduction of dandruff by hindering Pityrosporum development and its antibacterial action helps with acne/pustules of the scalp. This powerful shampoo and body cleanser incorporates the antibacterial action of Mandelic Acid along with the antioxidant powers of Japanese Green Tea, Grape Seed, Kiwi and Honey to effectively cleanse the face, hair, scalp and body and to restore healthy skin.

And there’s more…when used as a body cleanser, its antibacterial properties also helps in body odor control of the groin and axilla (underarm) areas. Just lather up and leave on the body or scalp for 2-5 minutes. Then rinse thoroughly with warm water.

Features and Benefits:

Newly formulated all in one cleanser

Aids in treatment of seborrheic dermatitis

Aids in treatment of stubborn dandruff

Aids in treatment of folliculitus

Hinders Pityrosporum development

Kills bacteria that causes acne, groin odor and axilla odor

The cleanser is $28.00 and the serum is $60.00. You can order them from either the Vivant website or from betterhealthyskin.com. I know for sure that Vivant ships internationally, not sure about the betterhealthy skin site though.

There are other mandelic serums - NuCelle makes a popular one that is really good, in a couple different strengths, and also Garden of Wisdom (not sure if they ship internationally though). NuCelle makes a cleanser too, but its not nearly as good as the Vivant, in my opinion.

I haven't read the other suggestions, But i also suffer from folliculitus (staph aures), i seem to have everything... Anyway What i do is avoiding shaveing at all, use a beard trimmer and take it as close as you can with that... You could also try oil of oregano (systemically)

Thanks for the reply lamarr1986

As I'm sure you'll apprecaite, shaving with this condition is like playing roulette with every shave.

How close a shave can you get with a beard trimmer..i have an office job so can't really have stubble.

Also have you ever considered lazer hair removal of your facial hair..it was suggested to me in passing once but i haven't really looked into it.

I presume your suggestion with the oil of oregano is to simply massage it into the skin now and again?

I haven't read the other suggestions, But i also suffer from folliculitus (staph aures), i seem to have everything... Anyway What i do is avoiding shaveing at all, use a beard trimmer and take it as close as you can with that... You could also try oil of oregano (systemically)

Oil of oregano can be used orally and is as effective as many common anti biotics, the good thing is the bacteria don't develope resistance. In the past when i have flares i simply do a short 5 day course of oregano and it really helps. It may not be as effective for you as my culture and sensitivity test confirmed my folliculitus is caused by staph aures. Oregano is very effective against staph..

About the trimmer, i can get close enough for my stuble to not be to noticeable and i would say i have amedium density beard. The thing with mine is even if i don't shave for months on end i will still get infected follicles. So no laser hair removal has never been a consideration for myself.

Tea tree oil is also very helpfull in my case. If you have a list of the bacteria causing your problem it would be easier to suggest treatment. All i will say is don't rule out treatements that take the natural route, i think they really have their place, especially in bacterial infections like ours.

Edit: From your original post i take it that gram positive bacteria are the main problem, i really recomend getting some pure tea tree oil, diluting it to about 10-20% with a carried oil such as emu. I can keep mine under control very well with this and the oregano. Good hygine is a must.