Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mel054

accutane didnt work for me

i was on accutane for about a month. i had to stop because my cholesteral was getting really high so he took me off. after that i just hope in trying to cure my acne. i've tried everything . so many pills so many creams its so annoying! nothing works for me and i thought accutane was like the god of all acne killers! i give up. :cry:

Sorry to hear you had to come off of it so soon. That is probably why it didn't work for you, only on it a month. Ia m on my second month and I still get the occasional one. Talk to your doc and see if he/she will put you back on if you watch your cholesteral levels.

yeah the drug really didn't get a chance to work at all. i'm two months in and my derm hs told me that the accutane won't actually start working for another three months. its a cumulative effect.

Hi there-

Could your Derm. have lowered your dose? Accutane works over a period of time and is a treatment of 5-6 months. You won't see the full benefit of Accutane in one month. It's barely starting to work in that timeframe. If you want a better chance of getting rid of your acne, I'd ask your Derm. about taking a lower dose to start (like 10mg or 20mg a day) for a month. Eat good foods, fruits, veggies (no junk food) and your blood triglyceride levels should be better. If your bloodwork is fine then you could up the dose a little. And don't go over 1mg per KG of weight on Accutane which can be too strong for the skin/body.

Good luck.

My cholesterol shot way up in the first month. My derm said its fairly normal. The second month, my cholesterol went way back down to normal.

he gave me the lowest dosage to start...was it maybe because my body wasnt used to it and then after a while it would of gotten better? with my cholesteral? my derm doesnt really talk with me about this stuff so thats why im not really informed.

Hi -

I would ask your Derm. what your levels were and how far off the range. What dose were you taking? Honestly, most Derm's won't start you at the very lowest dose... The reason my Derm. did is because 1) I also have Rosacea and 2) I said 10mg was the only amount I would take to start. I wanted to see how I reacted to the medicine etc... Double-check what dose you were taking as well. Some folks triglycerides do resolve - seen numerous posts. I'd call/see your Derm. to discuss options if you are interested in continuing.