Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
i'd rather dance with you

so i am now antibiotic-resistant

I was on Minocycline for probably two years on and off. It worked pretty well for me, but ultimately I went to Accutane cause I wanted a solution.......well my doctor has now alerted me that I am antibiotic-resistant! I had a UTI and took the antibiotics, thought it went away, and then developed a kidney infection around two weeks later and had to be put on Cipro and oxycodone (it was very painful). So basically from now on I'll always have to be careful with antibiotics and make sure I get strong enough ones.....

Just be careful if you are on antibiotics longterm! They worked great for me but now that I look back on it, I don't think it's worth it. I like Accutane so much more <3

I was on Minocycline for probably two years on and off. It worked pretty well for me, but ultimately I went to Accutane cause I wanted a solution.......well my doctor has now alerted me that I am antibiotic-resistant! I had a UTI and took the antibiotics, thought it went away, and then developed a kidney infection around two weeks later and had to be put on Cipro and oxycodone (it was very painful). So basically from now on I'll always have to be careful with antibiotics and make sure I get strong enough ones.....

Just be careful if you are on antibiotics longterm! They worked great for me but now that I look back on it, I don't think it's worth it. I like Accutane so much more <3

This is very disconcerting. In August I had a UTI for the first time. I took Cipro and the symtoms didn't go away so I had to take Nitrofuratoin. Still didn't go away. I ended up at a Urologist who told me I had overactive bladder (at 21!). Anyways, the whole ordeal stressed me out so bad I started breaking out on my back and chest so I went to the derm who prescribed me Doxycycline which I used to take fours years ago. After five weeks I decided to stop it because I hate the thought of all these antibiotics in my body. So are you just resistant to Tetracyclines now or others also?

That's terrible to hear! Have you ever heard of probiotics? They're the healthy bacteria that live in us to fight disease etc. It sounds like your body could really benefit from them.

I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm glad you posted this. This is exactly what the danger is of taking antibiotics long-term. People continue to say "oh it's no big deal to take them for years" but it really can be a big deal. And you are proof of that. Antibiotics should be taken for no longer than 6 months for acne.

I was on Minocycline from 16 to age 23!

I decided to go on accutane last year. It cleared my skin but only for 6 months and now my bad skin has returned. The dermatologist has suggested I try different antibiotics for a 6 month period. Not sure what to do.

I've been on Clindamycin for 3 1/2 months. It's a topical, though... Do topicals offer as immediate a danger as pills when it comes to antibiotics? I heard that it was safe to use topicals for slightly longer than pills, but I'm not sure if that's true.

On the flip side i've been on Tetracycline, oxytetracycline, doxycycline, minocycline and lymecycline over the years. If I added up the cumulative time i've been on them it could be 3 or 4 years. As far as i'm aware i've had no resistance and i've never had any health issues. Maybe some doctors prescribe the dose too high.. for example with doxycycline I take now I take 50mg a day.. I read a lot of people take 100mg as an average. I don't know really.. I have a very healthy diet so maybe that comes into play, I don't drink alcohol either ;)