Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Booker43

HELP! wtf is this???

I just got a haircut today and my barber tells me that I have a big red rash on the back of my upperneck that had been hiding under my hair i guess. I get home and check it out and couldn't believe what I saw..

It stops where my hairline stops, i've been wearing a winter hat alot the last month and using a different shampoo, somebody please tell me how I can get rid of this fast.

post-52396-1198383335_thumb.jpg

post-52396-1198383335_thumb.jpg

Not sure if that is actually acne, but it is definitely some kind of infection. I would either try neosporin cream or cortizone cream. Also, make sure you wash that hat often in non-skin-irritating detergent.

Well, .........hmmmm...

it sorta looks like acne. Just try washing the area with a nice gentle cleanser, and putting an acne cream on it. Maybe BP?

It just looks like your hair was probably oily, and the hat pressing the hair against the skin, caused the oil to get on the skin, clog your pores, and give you pimples.

I'd give it a few days. You JUST got your hair cut, so maybe it'll heal up now that the hair isn't in the way anymore.

If you really don't feel like experimenting, make an appointment with a dermatologist, and they can prescribe a cream for you, and tell you what caused the rash.

=)

good luck

oh! and you said you're using a different shampoo? WHAT SHAMPOO are you using now? and which were you using before???? Please tell me you're not using Pantene. lol

Well, .........hmmmm...

it sorta looks like acne. Just try washing the area with a nice gentle cleanser, and putting an acne cream on it. Maybe BP?

It just looks like your hair was probably oily, and the hat pressing the hair against the skin, caused the oil to get on the skin, clog your pores, and give you pimples.

I'd give it a few days. You JUST got your hair cut, so maybe it'll heal up now that the hair isn't in the way anymore.

If you really don't feel like experimenting, make an appointment with a dermatologist, and they can prescribe a cream for you, and tell you what caused the rash.

=)

good luck

oh! and you said you're using a different shampoo? WHAT SHAMPOO are you using now? and which were you using before???? Please tell me you're not using Pantene. lol

haha.. =)

pantene is really bad for your hair. It has a lot of waxes in it, and it can damage your hair (but it doesn't look like it because of the wax). I've heard this from many hairstylists. And I think they know what they're talking about........because these hairstylists are smart. lmao. Customers come in and pay around 80 bucks for a haircut!!!! So they must be doing something right. lol

Of course hairstylists will say Pantene is bad; they want you to buy THEIR salon products. Pantene's just fine for me, it works well on my hair.

Original poster: the picture is very blurry so it's difficult to tell if it's a true rash or an acne breakout. Does the area itch at all? If it itches, it might be an infection like folliculitis or a fungal or yeasty problem. A regular doc can diagnose it and provide treatment options. I'd go to a doctor if the rash doesn't begin to clear within a week of conservative at home treatment.

It won't hurt to cleanse the area normally with your shampoo, washing gently. Rinse thoroughly! Don't use cortisone cream. DO NOT USE CORTISONE CREAM. It won't hurt to apply polysporin sparingly once a day. It won't hurt to apply an antifungal once a day, either. There are plenty of over the counter antifungals, like clotrimazole. Don't be picking and touching the area. If it happens to be contagious, you could spread it elsewhere on your body.

I, too, can't really tell from the photo because the clarity is not good when I make it bigger.

Was the hat wool/wool blend? Could be an allergic reaction, too.

Hard to say. Just rule out one thing at a time.

It doesn't itch, and it doesn't feel like acne because its not painful at all, and it doesn't feel even close to as bad as it looks, which is why I hadn't noticed it at all til I got my hair cut.

I'm hoping that it is an allergic reaction the shampoo, today it feels like the area has been hardening over a bit so I'm hoping that means its healing. I'm just gonna use the classic clean shampoo and not wear the hat for now, I don't want to become dependent on some medication.

My boyfriend gets something like that. He hasn't seen a doctor, so we don't know what it is, but having it exposed by cutting his hair helps it dry out and recede. (He's been through many, many shampoos, mostly anti-dandruff ones.)

dunno if you'll get this message (it's a year later haha), but your rash looks like ringworm. Hope it healed up!