Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MasterCheif

Cleanser is way too drying?

So far the regmine is working, but I can't help noticing the dryness of my skin after using the cleanser. It didn't happen the first time I used it, but now everytime I use it I get a tiny collection of flakes around my mouth running up to the base of my nose.

Should I stop using it, or do I need time for my skin to adjust?

The dryness is probably not from the cleanser but from the BP. You just notice it most when you've cleansed because you've rinsed all the products on your face that were holding the flakes down off, so you don't have layers of moisturizer and BP and skin oil and what have you. I think you mostly need to moisturize more and maybe slow down on the BP, cut back just a little. You can also use less of the cleanser and spend a shorter time washing your face, which will help. If your skin feels really uncomfortable after cleansing, you can apply several drops of jojoba oil all over your face right afterwards before you apply the BP, which will make your face feel less tight (and you can also massage off some of the flakes).

For me at least, Dan's cleanser is very drying. I used it for 6 months and all along I thought it was because of the BP. I didn't notice too much because I only cleanse for 10 seconds as Dan recommends. However, since winter hit the dryness got especially worse specifically around my eyes and neck (the areas I didn't use BP). Recently I switched to Cetaphil's Gentle Skin Cleanser and within days the dryness got better. A HUGE difference in dryness just from changing a 10 second cleanse. I never would have thought it. So I would recommend trying something like Cetaphil (not the one for oily skin...it dries out the skin more than the gentle cleanser). Its about the same price as dan's maybe cheaper depending on shipping but the only downside is it doesn't lather. You could see a difference, you might not.

It could just be the fact that its winter. I find my faec is more itchy and dry during the winter months. Omg please dont use jojoba oil. That stuff is horribly comedogenic and cetaphils gentle skin cleanser contains my most hated ingredient sodium lauryl sulfate.

I really like the cleanser. I've used Dove sensitive skin beauty bar for years. I like Dan's cleanser better. I feel it is a very gentle cleanser and cleans very thoroughly. I will definitely buy it again.

I have to say the flakes have reduced, mainly because I cut from two pumps of the cleanser to one. Will the regimen still be as effective, or should I over time up the dosage?

I use less than 1/2 a pump of Dan's cleanser, as it lathers up quite a bit with a little water so this is more than enough for me, and I have not had any ill effects. You only want to use as much as it takes to remove surface oils, makeup, etc. from your face. You also don't need to up the amount of cleanser you use over time the way you do with BP. Just keep using only as much as you need.