Notifications
Clear all

Acne and how to cover them for Men (and women too)

MemberMember
(@sparty)

Posted : 02/11/2004 1:15 am

I wrote this page a long time ago maily to help people who want to cover up their acne scar and but don't know how to start. Here are some help.

http://www.geocities.com/research_note/acn...and_makeup.html

Men have hard time thinking about makeup, but one thing we need to keep in mind is the flawless application is what you need. You cannot achieve that with using color that does not match your skintone. Sometimes women also make mistake by selecting wrong shade concealer or foundation, which just make your acne scare more prominent. Let me make it clear one more time if you want to use cosmetic to cover or hide your scar, you have to have the exact match color.

Here are some cosmetic brands. for men (just to show you that guys also have their makeup too) oh well....if women want to use them, why not.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have anything to do with any of these companies at all, just want to help you understand a little bit more about how to cover up your acne scars. That's all.

The first two are corrective makeup. They are created for people with problematic skin who need some coverage. These first two are for both male and female.

1) Exuviance by Neostrata

1.1 Coverblend Multi-Function Concealer SPF 15 has 4 color choices.

‚Where to get them: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtm...ldPaginate=true

If you cant view this photo below, please click here

user posted image

1.2 CoverBlend Treatment spf 20 This is from the same company but this one has 14 different colors.

‚Where to get them: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtm...ldPaginate=true

user posted image

2) Dermablend

‚Where to get them: http://www.dermablend.com/productDetails.aspx?prodID=1

user posted image

This brand create makeup for people with severe scar and people with medical condition. I used this cover cream long time ago. It requires some practice but look really good if you apply them correctly.

Sample from dermablend

user posted image

(to be continued)

MemberMember
(@sparty)

Posted : 02/11/2004 1:40 am

now....product specifically designed just for men

1) Menaji

has 4 colors for you

‚Where to buy: http://www.menaji.com/productshome.html

user posted image

2) Male species

it is so obvious, isn't it. This is definately for men ONLY. biggrin.gif

‚Where to buy: http://www.malespecies.com/malespecies/sho...dStock=MSF00101

user posted image

3) Studio5ive

‚Where to buy these two products: http://www.studio5ive.com/HTML/product-menu.htm

3.1 Duo concealer & foundation stix

The first one is for people with minimal scars and need just light coverage.

user posted image

3.2 Day cream concealer

Second one is for people who need a bit more coverage.

user posted image

MemberMember
(@sparty)

Posted : 02/28/2004 7:10 pm

How to find these concealer

AaA go to the website of each product

or

AaA use google and search by name

or

AaA go to your local department store. They might have some. (depend on your location)

Remember....if you want to hide your redmarks without anyone notice them, you have to use the color that match your skin perfectly.

MemberMember
(@scorpio8647)

Posted : 04/04/2004 6:37 pm

now....product specifically designed just for men

1) Menaji

has 4 colors for you

‚Where to buy: http://www.menaji.com/productshome.html

user posted image

2) Male species

it is so obvious, isn't it.  This is definately for men ONLY. biggrin.gif

‚Where to buy: http://www.malespecies.com/malespecies/sho...dStock=MSF00101

user posted image

3) Studio5ive

‚Where to buy these two products: http://www.studio5ive.com/HTML/product-menu.htm

3.1 Duo concealer & foundation stix

The first one is for people with minimal scars and need just light coverage.

user posted image

3.2 Day cream concealer

Second one is for people who need a bit more coverage.

user posted image

MemberMember
(@sparty)

Posted : 04/04/2004 8:10 pm

I don't think these 3 actually have retail store anywhere. But you can try.

Studio5ive ....no retail outlet....need to order online

Male species This is Las Vegas based company.....for more info you have to refer to their website

http://www.malespecies.com/malespecies/sho...chasinginfo.asp

Menaji call 1800-551-5067 or submit your question here

http://www.menaji.com/askus.html

Other male skincare such as Zirh, Jean Paul Gaultier, Anthony Logistics For Men, Peter Thomas Roth or Baxter of California, can be found in Sephora store. Check sephora store location near your here....

http://www.sephora.com/help/store_directory.jhtml

MemberMember
(@rock)

Posted : 04/04/2004 8:39 pm

Thanks for all the great tips for guys. SOmeone mentioned in another thread to conceal red marks you first need to apply a green based concealor to mask the redness.Then place a concealor that matches your skin tone over that.Is that something you recommend?

MemberMember
(@sparty)

Posted : 04/05/2004 1:00 am

Thanks for all the great tips for guys. SOmeone mentioned in another thread to conceal red marks you first need to apply a green based concealor to mask the redness.Then place a concealor that matches your skin tone over that.Is that something you recommend?
MemberMember
(@bern)

Posted : 04/05/2004 9:23 am

Hey Sparty,

Do you recommend any makeup that us aussie men can buy in stores over here? Which stores and what type of make-up if it isn't too much to ask.

Thanks,

bernie

MemberMember
(@sparty)

Posted : 04/05/2004 7:17 pm

There is one ot two male spa/ cosmetic store on Lt. Collin St between Swanston and Russel. Just walk up from swanston to russel...it will be on your left handside. This shop carries Zirh and Baxter of California for sure. Not sure about Anthony Logistics. But I will definately keep my eyes open and let you know later.

in the mean time....

I notice that we have dermablend in a chemist. You can definately use that. I found this line in one chemist along St.Kilda road a little bit after toorak junction.

Y'know...it might be easier if I know your location. I know Melbourne and that's it. If you live in other city, I will ask my friend to check them for you.

MemberMember
(@sparty)

Posted : 04/07/2004 7:21 pm

Ok......Here are some info for Aussie guys.

I got this info from one webboard. He is also aussie male who use cosmetics.

Jean Paul Gaultier men's cosmetics is available in Australia. You can buy it in Myer- the concealer/eyeliner, lip balm and bronzing powder are quite popular.

and someone else ask him back...

I hardly do see much men's make up here apart from JPG?

Just curious and a bit off topic...why can't a guy uses women's make up (not bright red blush of course, but like bronzer, concealor etc) <---I always think about this question quite often.

He replied....

There's absolutely no reason aside from the psychology and marketing issues. Most Aussie men would rather die than borrow their girlfriend's makeup, let alone walking up to a cosmetics counter and buying products themselves.

Basic products like skincare, foundation/concealer, bronzer, black eyeliner if that's your thing...are exactly the same regardless of what the product is marketed for.

You might be better off going for a women's cosmetics brand anyway- because the JPG concealer and bronzer only comes in one shade, you'll probably find a better colour match with another company.

--------------------------------

I just realize that, in australia, we have very good concealer for both male and female. I actually use this one and it is the best concealer in the market.

user posted image

I think the texture of Becca concealer will work perfectly well with male skin. Just opaque enough to cover acne scar without having to use a lot and it goes on quite dry, which is perfect for male skin that tend to produce more oil than female skin. Becca concealer also comes in 33 different colors. http://www.beccacosmetics.com/shop/detail....D=3&ProductID=5 You will definately find something that match your skin perfectly. It is AUD$45. Not cheap...but one small package will last you a very long time. You need very tiny bit of it.

Can find becca concealer in David Jones. If you live in Melbourne and need help with Becca, please let me know. I might be able to help a bit.

MemberMember
(@sparty)

Posted : 04/13/2004 1:28 am

I know this thread is for guys...but hey this info will help for both gender.

Below are 3 of my most favorite concealer for people with acne.

From the top row....1) Laura Mercier secret concealer. This one comes in 4 different shades. It is very easy to use and doesn't disturb my acne or cause any new acne at all. 2) Laura Mercier secret camouflage concealer. Comes in 6 different pairs. No1 and No2 have pink undertone and suit fair skin people. The rest have yellow undertone. This concealer is very good because you can mix the two color to match your skin in winter and summer. We tend to get darker in summer, don't we?

Bottom picture is my favorite concealer from Becca. It is so easy to use and has 35 or 38 colors to choose from. You can definately find one that match your skin perfectly.

Please remember--> To conceal your acne scar without anyone notice them, you need to find concealer that has EXACTLY THE SAME COLOR as your skin. Spend little bit more on concealer is much cheaper than buy drugstore concealer that doesn't work. You will end up buying several brand and spending more money than you should. Just get one really good one is enough.

These concealer look "manly" enough...don't you agree? biggrin.gif

user posted image

MemberMember
(@admiral)

Posted : 08/14/2004 3:08 am

hmm...make up for men......

i'd appreciate some info on how to use it.for how long can use it - all day? Won't it actually worsen your acne?

MemberMember
(@mick-blue)

Posted : 08/22/2004 11:06 am

hmm...make up for men......

i'd appreciate some info on how to use it.for how long can use it - all day? Won't it actually worsen your acne?

MemberMember
(@darkdragoon)

Posted : 11/15/2004 5:31 am

How is that Studio5ive concealer that comes in 1 shade supposed to match your skintone at all?

MemberMember
(@rsxboi)

Posted : 12/04/2004 6:45 am

Hey nice info!!................I'm looking for something that wont look shiny And that will more like tan the skin. I dont want my girl to notice that im wearing makeup u know.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/04/2004 4:50 pm

I agree I need something where it wont make my face to shiny and yet wont looke like im whearing make up. But for right now im using this clean and clear blemish stick and you are suppose to cover just the blemish with it and it works good but is still a lil noticable. Hopefully there is something out there that can go perfect on skin and cover the blemish without it being notcied at all.

MemberMember
(@caramel)

Posted : 12/05/2004 7:51 pm

I agree I need something where it wont make my face to shiny and yet wont looke like im whearing make up. But for right now im using this clean and clear blemish stick and you are suppose to cover just the blemish with it and it works good but is still a lil noticable. Hopefully there is something out there that can go perfect on skin and cover the blemish without it being notcied at all.

MemberMember
(@antandadri)

Posted : 12/05/2004 8:23 pm

Make up can make your Acne worse especially if its not oil free or non -comedogenic. I recommend you use Pro Activ Sheer Finish Compact Foundation, loose powder, Sheer Tint Moisture with SpF 15 and Concealer Plus are oil free and non-comedogenic. By helping to keep your pores clear, these make up products actually help fight acne throughout the day.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/08/2004 7:46 pm

I have one question. I have bought the concealer sticks before and they work farelly decent but not super good. Now I have heard that actual concealer powder or liquid is way better. But when you put it on do you have to do your entire face or can you just do the parts you really need it. If you can just do certian parts i might be interested in that studio5ive but if you have to use it all around your face i would just assume leave it and keep using the stick.

MemberMember
(@johntab)

Posted : 12/23/2004 1:26 pm

Hi,

great post but one question, I want to get something to cover up my infrequent though large red pimples, and was thinking about getting the menjai products, but of the 4, is it likely that one of the colours will really match my skin tone well enough? I am mostly described as having an olive complection.

I did some googline online and found a product for US citiziens only called loroxide, and it allows you by adding a drop at a time to get the product to match exactly your skin tone, however, seeing as i live in UK that is of no help.

Any information or advice greatly appreciated, just wana stop having to hide because of stupid spots!

THanks,

John

MemberMember
(@whsfball24)

Posted : 01/02/2005 10:27 pm

how well would this stay on while sweating in P.E.??

MemberMember
(@gettingoverit)

Posted : 02/07/2005 12:37 pm

I wouldn't recommend any of the "men's" makeup lines in particular. The shades are probably terrible, and obviously very limited.

It's makeup. It's still makeup if it says for men on it, so go with a better brand.

I agree MAC would be a good choice, not because of famous men who wear it, but for the choices in foundation shades.

I find wearing foundation makes me so much better, (obviously the goal lol) it's just amazing how different someone can look when you don't see huge pores or red marks staring back out at you.

MemberMember
(@heartless)

Posted : 03/20/2005 3:12 am

I've been using various concealers for years and look forward to the day when I don't have to use them. In the meantime, Dermablend is a good product because: (a) it comes in so many shades and you can buy 2 shades close to your skin tone and custom blend them yourself (b) it gives a custom level of coverage...if you need complete opaque coverage, just apply a bit more and once it's set with the Setting Powder it will stay put even through a shower. Just be careful not to touch or rub your face. If you get oily, gently pat with a tissue (paper towels work best) and it'll be as good as new. From my experience with Dermablend, it does last all day, but it can aggravate acne to a small degree.

My scars aren't as noticeable as they use to be so I currently use Smashbox's 5-in-1 foundation stick. It provides good coverage and it lasts all day without needing any powder (however I still use the Dermablend setting powder just on my nose to keep the oils from eating away the coverage). Since I am not too physically active at work, I don't need the heavy duty performance of Dermablend.

The key is don't be afraid to experiment. For every line of concealer I've used, I always purchase the 2 closest colors and custom blended to match my skin. e.g. in the summer you may get more tan and require a more bronze color and a lighter color in winter. Also the T-zone tends to be a bit darker than the cheek area.

Lastly, as for whether guys have to wear a full face of makeup, the answer is "No". The Smashbox product is meant to be applied with a small brush just over the areas where it's needed (although it can be used as an overall foundation for women). I even use the brush technique for light coverage with Dermablend products (although for more thorough coverage Dermablend is to be applied with the fingers).

For those who are familiar with Morgen Schick's cosmetic line, her philosophy is based on just applying coverage to areas that are "issues". She has a 3 shade compact called Hide and Highlight which you can custom blend to match your skin tone and it's also applied with a small makeup brush.

Guys, no matter what you choose to use, the key is to apply the product beyond the blemish you are covering and blend it very, very well. Remember there is to be no lines of demarcation. Always check your handiwork in the mirror from ALL ANGLES to ensure complete blending. It is best to use natural light while doing this.

MemberMember
(@rennie01)

Posted : 04/21/2005 1:12 am

Ok......Here are some info for Aussie guys.

Can find becca concealer in David Jones. If you live in Melbourne and need help with Becca, please let me know. I might be able to help a bit.

MemberMember
(@rennie01)

Posted : 04/21/2005 5:30 am

also, can u buy mac from australian department stores like david jones or myer ? or does any1 know a good place that sells mac in melbourne ?