Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AD1985

My TCA CROSS pic journal

Hi all,

I've had some ice pick scars that I've wanted to get rid of and decided on the TCA CROSS method because it seems to have the best results for ice pick scars and is also very cheap and easy to do (my kit for 100% TCA was $55)

Yesterday I applied my first treatment. I followed the instructions that were in the kit, which said to clean my face off with soap and water and then lightly dip the wooden applicator (a big toothpick) with the TCA. I applied it from one side of the scar to the other (since my scars are medium sized) I actually didn't push too hard.

The acid burned a little for about 5 seconds, then I counted 5 more seconds and applied the neutralizing solution by q tip. A few hours later scabs formed. It is now the 2nd day and the scabs are still there.

Here are my original scars. This pic was taken a few months back.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f74/alph...g5/000_0474.jpg

Today on day 2 of my TCA CROSS the scabs are clearly visible.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f74/alph...5/cross2201.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f74/alph...5/cross2202.jpg

If you guys have any questions you can certainly ask me. I'll update with progress pics.

UPDATES

Day 4: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2137981

Day 6: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2139781

Day 15: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2148450

Aquaphor at first. Emu oil is a carrier oil. TCA already penetrates to the dermis all by its lonesome (based on what I've read, don't lambast me if I'm wrong). After a few days, emu oil should be fine. Mix with copper peptides, even. Some sites say go ahead and use emu oil right away so overall it should be fine, but I'd prefer something even more protective such as vaseline petrolatum jelly or aquaphor in the first few days BEFORE scabs form. After scabs form you don't need to use anything.

Aquaphor at first. Emu oil is a carrier oil. TCA already penetrates to the dermis all by its lonesome (based on what I've read, don't lambast me if I'm wrong). After a few days, emu oil should be fine. Mix with copper peptides, even. Some sites say go ahead and use emu oil right away so overall it should be fine, but I'd prefer something even more protective such as vaseline petrolatum jelly or aquaphor in the first few days BEFORE scabs form. After scabs form you don't need to use anything.

^ Cool!

AD1985: Looks like you did a very good job. I do hope you experience the success with this method as others have. Please do use sunscreen now and for six months after the CROSS!

For future reference for the next CROSS you do (several months from now), after you've washed your face with soap and water, do degrease the skin with rubbing alcohol. Having fewer lipids on the surface of the skin helps the TCA penetrate better and more uniformly.

Do follow the after-care instructions and GOOD LUCK!!! :D

Thanks guys!

Sorry, I did actually clean off the area with an alcohol wipe. It burned and not in a good way... it felt like a "chemical" burn. I've used alcohol wipes on my hands before and never had this so it unnerved me a bit, I honestly don't want to use them on my face again (and it's not in the instructions I got anyways) I think a wash with soap and water is good enough to clean the area.

Scabs still look the same today. When I read other people's threads I thought the scabs were delicate because one girl said she accidentally scratched one off when rubbing her face. My scabs do not seem to be that way. First they are deep to the skin, second they are not loose at all. Still I am extra careful when cleaning that area.

Hi AD1985, Where did you get your 100% TCA from?

Thanks,

Jan31

Judging by the price ($55) he got it from the same place I did: www.perfectcomplexion.net

I got a ton of freebies when I ordered it. A sample of Apeel Daily and TCA Latte peel. I also got free a full size butter cream lip balm (which is AWESOME by the way).

Thanks,

Jan31

Judging by the price ($55) he got it from the same place I did: www.perfectcomplexion.net

I got a ton of freebies when I ordered it. A sample of Apeel Daily and TCA Latte peel. I also got free a full size butter cream lip balm (which is AWESOME by the way).

Thanks,

Jan31

Hi Janet, I think I might order the 100% and also the Apeel - I've heard a lot of really good things on this board about Julie's products.

Thanks!!!

Jan31

AD1985 - thanks for posting the pictures and info. I have several scars like yours and have been researching different treatments. I would appreciate if someone could explain the difference between a TCA peel and a TCA Cross. I would also like to know where you bought your TCA Cross products. The fact that you needed to neutralize the treated area rather than rinsing with water leads me to believe it is more powerful than some of the others.

If anyone has any success stories with the TCA Cross, I would appreciate the info.

Best of luck - keep us posted.

TCA CROSS method - Chemical Reconstruction Of Skin Scars using 100% TCA. VERY strong caustic acid. Must follow careful instructions and be exceedingly careful. Not for the faint of heart.

TCA Peel. One of many places where one can read more information about TCA Peels.

Also use the search function on these boards and you'll find many threads about TCA CROSS (there's one that's 71+ pages long - and I read each and every post before I did my TCA CROSS).

Q: Do we have to nutralize the treated area to stop the TCA working ?

A: No this is only for lactic or glycolic peels which are fruit acids. TCA (chemical peel) will nutralize itself after 20 minutes. So when it says to wash the TCA off in the instructions, this really means to splash on cold water to take the heat out of the skin. Once the TCA is applied you cant wash it off, and it nutralises itself. Also when you peel the tiny amount of nutralised TCA used comes off with the peeling skin.

Answers:

I have brown spots now...are those scabs or pre-scabbing? The spots are so tiny that I can't tell!!!! They look nothing like the spots in AD1985's pictures.

Day 4

I wake up and see myself in the mirror to find that one of the scabs has fallen off. First reaction is nervousness because I used 100% TCA and I've read the scabs that come from this are "supposed" to stay on for 1-2 weeks.

I check myself and am quite pleased with the results so far.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f74/alph...g5/crossd21.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f74/alph...g5/crossd22.jpg

The depth of the scar is much less noticeable already. I was told it would get worse before it gets better and it is already quite good now. there is a faint redness in the middle of the scar which is hard to see in the pics. It is probably where blood was coming in to supply the scab.

I am very pleased with the results so far. As long as the redness fades, the scar will be much less noticeable than before and I won't use a 2nd treatment on that one. It will still have a very minor depth, but you would have to be close to see it and I'm a guy so I don't need my face to be perfectly smooth.

As far as if the neutralizing solution did anything, my instinct tells me that it did. When I applied it to the scar, the acid burn faded quickly, so if it wasn't applied maybe it would have burned for too long. I will keep using the neutralizer for any further treatments.

Day 4

I wake up and see myself in the mirror to find that one of the scabs has fallen off. First reaction is nervousness because I used 100% TCA and I've read the scabs that come from this are "supposed" to stay on for 1-2 weeks.

I check myself and am quite pleased with the results so far.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f74/alph...g5/crossd21.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f74/alph...g5/crossd22.jpg

The depth of the scar is much less noticeable already. I was told it would get worse before it gets better and it is already quite good now. there is a faint redness in the middle of the scar which is hard to see in the pics. It is probably where blood was coming in to supply the scab.

I am very pleased with the results so far. As long as the redness fades, the scar will be much less noticeable than before and I won't use a 2nd treatment on that one. It will still have a very minor depth, but you would have to be close to see it and I'm a guy so I don't need my face to be perfectly smooth.

As far as if the neutralizing solution did anything, my instinct tells me that it did. When I applied it to the scar, the acid burn faded quickly, so if it wasn't applied maybe it would have burned for too long. I will keep using the neutralizer for any further treatments.

I would like to thank AD1985 and Wynne for answering my questions.

Wynne, were you pleased with the results you acheived from your Cross treatment?

As I have continued to search for information about the TCA Cross method, I came across a very comprehensive step-by-step TCA Cross procedure used by a noted doctor. I highly recommend anyone interested in self-crossing to read carefully - it answers many critical questions.

I don't know how to insert a link (I'm over 40) but you can find it by visiting:

www.cosmetic skin.com and searching TCA Cross.

This site is a testament to true NETWORKING - Thanks to all!