Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
v42008

Anyone Using Salicylic Acid Products?

I have been a big fan of AHAs but I've been reading many dermatologists truly recommend salicylic acid for acne, because it exfoliates within the pore, which AHAs do not.

I was a big fan of Alpha Hydrox for years. Does anyone recommend salicylic acid over alpha hydroxies, and why? Thanks.

SA also slows down cell turnover so your cells shead less, so I read. I used it once a week or so to exfoliate. You can always use both I imagine.

I use Paula's Choice SA, and it works really well on my blackheads and non-inflamed acne. It hasn't really done much as far as controlling inflamed acne, so I added Mandelic Acid into my routine to deal with that. I used Alpha Hydrox Oil-Free glycolic gel for a while, but I just stopped using it a few days ago because it doesn't fit into my regimen very well anymore. I did notice that it made my skin look very even-toned, but didn't really do anything for my blackheads.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking of using both salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide. But then I'll have to stop using my retinol creams because benzoyl peroxide neutralizes it.

I got the book Breaking Out and the author interviewed many dermatologists. It is really the best book on acne I've come across. The consensus is that a combination of both benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid work best to clear acne.

I have heard good things about Paula's Choice salicylic acid.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking of using both salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide. But then I'll have to stop using my retinol creams because benzoyl peroxide neutralizes it.

I got the book Breaking Out and the author interviewed many dermatologists. It is really the best book on acne I've come across. The consensus is that a combination of both benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid work best to clear acne.

I have heard good things about Paula's Choice salicylic acid.

I've been using that new Clean and clear acne kit, using the BP face wash and the SA cream. Instead of using their SA moisturizer, I've been using LacHydrin-5, which is a moisturizer with an AHA in it I beleive. Currently my skin isn't looking 'too' bad, definitely the best its looked in a while. Also my face is a LOT less oily with this new face wash.

The best topical products i've used were a pair of salicylic acid ones called Acnevention and Acne Spot Dry. The Acnevention is a preventative serum containing 1% salicylic acid and the Acne Spot Dry is a 2% salicylic acid one, but also containing sulphur. You have to put that on overnight and leave it, since it dries on an orangey colour. Recently though i've discovered another company called Bye Bye Blemish selling the exact same products under different names. I would certainly recommend those as they worked amazingly well for me.

With regards to using salicylic acid and BP at the same time, from experience i'd say this was a bad idea. For me it caused my skin to dry out REALLY badly and I was still getting acne. I guess everyone's different but my advice would be to just try those two salicylic acid ones for a couple of months and see how you go.

i would say you should try using the bp and salicylic acid together. everyone's skin is different and it may work for you. try it for awhile and moniter your skin closely. if you start noticing a lot of dryness cut down on how often you use one. if your skin still doesn't respond then you know it's not the regimen for you. you may also want to look into trying dan's regimen. it's posted on this website and consists of a gently cleanser, bp and a light moisturizer. you can order his kit or buy them at cvs, walmart, etc. a lot of peope have success on this regimen.

i would ask your dermatologist about what he/she suggests for bp and salicylic acid. they may have some suggestions on products by prescription or non prescription. they could also put you on an antibiotic so you're working internally and externally to treat your acne. some antibiotics include tetrocyclin, minocyclin and doxycyclin as well as bactrim. if you are a female spiro helps with hormone regulation.

hope this helps.

I just got a sample of Paula's Choice 2% BHA two days ago. Basically I am using that on my cheeks/sides of face and using Dan's BP on my chin where my inflamed acne is. I was wondering if the BHA will help the noninflamed bumps I already have (my face feels so bumpy when I wash my face!) or just prevent new ones from forming?