Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chastain1172

to fraxel or not to fraxel-

So I am considering Fraxel for the obvious reasons. I want my skin to look smoother, my acne scars to be less noticeable. I don't want to hear my children or anyone elses children point at my scars and say "what's that?" I want to put acne behind me. I want to see old classmates that onced teased me and have my skin look good. I don't want my children to be embarrassed or wish their mom had pretty skin like their friends' moms'.

BUT...

I abhor this plastic surgery craze. People that want to feel better about themselves so they get boob jobs, and face lifts and botox etc. I think young girls need flat chested beautiful woman as role models that are confident in their body. I think women look beautiful with LAUGH lines, and crows feet as opposed to the puffy faced statues like Nicole Kidman and all the very desperate housewives.

AND..

The money. We are saving for a house, so we technically have the money in the bank, but shouldn't I be using that money to say... take my 3 and 5 year old to Disney world? Or buy a car for the love of Pete? 5k is more than I spent on our car! I just think of all the things I could do with 5 thousand dollars! Like send 500 children in Africa to school or something I don't know.

I mean, my scars aren't disfiguring, but they are noticeable. I have a great handsome husband, who loves me as I am... shouldn't I just be ok with that? But I guess the thing is I know that deep down inside he would love for my skin to be smoother too. He would never admit it, but of course he does.

And what do I tell my 3 and 5 year old when my face is "bronzing" and peeling and I look like the elephant woman? (Bronzing makes it sound glamourous, and from the pics I have seen, well, its not that.)

AND if I do spend this money and the results aren't even noticeable? My derm says that I am a GREAT candidate since I am young and that I would definitely have great results. Anyone else in their early thirties with my skin type that didn't??

Does anyone else struggle with these issues?

I would appreciate advice from anyone.

Thanks!

post-66829-1198090052_thumb.jpg

post-66829-1198090105_thumb.jpg

post-66829-1198090142_thumb.jpg

post-66829-1198090052_thumb.jpg

post-66829-1198090105_thumb.jpg

post-66829-1198090142_thumb.jpg

So I am considering Fraxel for the obvious reasons. I want my skin to look smoother, my acne scars to be less noticeable. I don't want to hear my children or anyone elses children point at my scars and say "what's that?" I want to put acne behind me. I want to see old classmates that onced teased me and have my skin look good. I don't want my children to be embarrassed or wish their mom had pretty skin like their friends' moms'.

BUT...

I abhor this plastic surgery craze. People that want to feel better about themselves so they get boob jobs, and face lifts and botox etc. I think young girls need flat chested beautiful woman as role models that are confident in their body. I think women look beautiful with LAUGH lines, and crows feet as opposed to the puffy faced statues like Nicole Kidman and all the very desperate housewives.

AND..

The money. We are saving for a house, so we technically have the money in the bank, but shouldn't I be using that money to say... take my 3 and 5 year old to Disney world? Or buy a car for the love of Pete? 5k is more than I spent on our car! I just think of all the things I could do with 5 thousand dollars! Like send 500 children in Africa to school or something I don't know.

I mean, my scars aren't disfiguring, but they are noticeable. I have a great handsome husband, who loves me as I am... shouldn't I just be ok with that? But I guess the thing is I know that deep down inside he would love for my skin to be smoother too. He would never admit it, but of course he does.

And what do I tell my 3 and 5 year old when my face is "bronzing" and peeling and I look like the elephant woman? (Bronzing makes it sound glamourous, and from the pics I have seen, well, its not that.)

AND if I do spend this money and the results aren't even noticeable? My derm says that I am a GREAT candidate since I am young and that I would definitely have great results. Anyone else in their early thirties with my skin type that didn't??

Thanks!

BUT...

AND..

Thanks!

I struggled with the exact same concerns. But I was so obsessed that it didn't take much to turn the voice off. Especially since my mom was willing to pay for it for me. She knew how tormented I was and she knew that any extra money we had was earmarked for other things.

Several months after my last treatment I came into a large sum of money. I had had four treatments and was underwhelmed by the results. There wasn't even a question in my mind that I WOULD NOT get further fraxels. This is just my experience. The result just was not worth the price.

I had a 3yo and a 5yo at the time of my fraxels. They never said a word to me about it. Strange. I asked my 5yo finally - "Isn't mommy's face red?" She agreed, that yes, it was and asked why. But it was never anything that made much of an impression on her. However, when I got needled, she couldn't stop staring at me and said my face made her feel like she wanted to cry :(. But for me, the needling results were more noticeable than the fraxel results. And it was less than $100 per session.

On an interesting note, neither of my girls have EVER commented on my scarring. I keep waiting for the day, but so far, nothing. Maybe it's not as bad as I think it is??

I had a 3yo and a 5yo at the time of my fraxels. They never said a word to me about it. Strange. I asked my 5yo finally - "Isn't mommy's face red?" She agreed, that yes, it was and asked why. But it was never anything that made much of an impression on her. However, when I got needled, she couldn't stop staring at me and said my face made her feel like she wanted to cry :(. But for me, the needling results were more noticeable than the fraxel results. And it was less than $100 per session.

On an interesting note, neither of my girls have EVER commented on my scarring. I keep waiting for the day, but so far, nothing. Maybe it's not as bad as I think it is??

good luck with what ever you decide. have you talked with your husband about this? i'm sure he loves you no matter what, but if it's something you want to do i'm sure you would have his support. good luck to you.

be well.

sara

\ If you are basing this largely upon children's reaction then you might NOT want to get laser treatment. I work with children and they are very observant. They will knit pick EVERYTHING even if your skin is flawless.

You should only consider laser surgery if it's a confidence issue.

I sturggled with all the same issues you have. I kept saying that we could take a nice vacation somewhere or I could buy some new flooring for our house. I'm married and have 2 kids. When I got married, I had some scarring, but most of my deep scars occurred when I was pregnant.

I hated to take pictures and I hated to look at my face in the mirror. When I went in for my consultation, they told me I'd be the perfect candidate since most of my scars are not that deep. I have ice pick scars on my cheeks and a few very deep scrares on my chin, along with rolling scars on my chin.

When I told my husband what I wanted to do, he told me I'd be wasting my money and that he loved me as I am. If I were to tell him the price, he'd probably flip and wouldn't let me do the treatments.

Well, I'm going in for my second Fraxel on Friday. I can't even explain to you the confidence that the Fraxel has given me. With just one treatment, my skin has improved. I am so happy that I did this. I can't wait to complete the 4 treatments that I purchased. I am 46 and I wish that they had something like this 20 years ago. Although I am financially stable now, where I wasn't 20 years ago. But I think that I would have tried to come up with the money somehow, because I hated my scares so much. I keep thinking that 20 years of my life were with those ugly scares and now many of them will not be as noticeable.

Good luck in your decision.

You look good, and you aren't "in the hunt" so to speak anymore. If the money is that important to you then you might not want to try it because you would be absolutley crushed if it didn't do much. However if it IS really driving you crazy DO IT because it might at least give you some sort of closure (if only it's a placebo effect).

I don't think you should do it because I think you are beautiful and you have started a beautiful family, who cares what your old classmates think?

I on the other hand am looking for a lady and I really can't find the confidence to go up to a girl in a bar because of these damn things.

I cant really see the scars in your pictures, but thats common. I'm sure they are there.

Personally I think self esteem, confidence, socializing, is a lot more important than a brand new 2008 car, expensive vacation, or slightly smaller house.

Having struggled with the same situation myself, I've decided the laser treatment is more important than just about any other expense I have (outside of basic needs). Think about it.

Your kids can have just as much fun on a camping trip to a state/national park nearby. A used car vs. a new car makes no difference if you feel great about your skin. I'm sure you can find a great house for $5k less if you do your homework. Especially with the market the way it is now.

I mean, that $5k is easily made up through savy negotiation. My sis saved $15k just by being a superb negotiator. And looking at a lot of houses and buying in a buyer's market.

You should most definitely Fraxel. Our economy isn't looking so good and the aestheticians/plastic surgeons need to make a living and pay off their Fraxel investments.

Plus it'll improve your skin.

makre sure ur doc is the one doing the procedure or a very experienced nurse (not a technician). also make sure it is Fraxel re:store (aka fraxel 2, aka fraxel SR1500) with the new rolling tip (no blue dye).

makre sure ur doc is the one doing the procedure or a very experienced nurse (not a technician). also make sure it is Fraxel re:store (aka fraxel 2, aka fraxel SR1500) with the new rolling tip (no blue dye).

your husband has gorgeous skin. it's so unfair, especially when it is expected of a woman to have perfect skin! Of course, mine is more disfiguring,

Hi,

If it will make you feel better about your self then i think you should do it. I have had three fraxels to my skin and it has definately improved A LOT. It was $$ but it really gave me the confidence that i lost. In the big picture, 5K will not make you richer! It will be worth it.

you may be able to get FREE treatment. there are always clinical trials going on at different doctors offices.

not so much for the re:store anymore since it has gotten all the FDA approvals. but the re:pair was just approved for general use. and they are conducting independent trials at doctors offices all over the country for the individual approvals in stretch marks, acne scars, wrinkles, etc.

you may be able to get FREE treatment. there are always clinical trials going on at different doctors offices.

not so much for the re:store anymore since it has gotten all the FDA approvals. but the re:pair was just approved for general use. and they are conducting independent trials at doctors offices all over the country for the individual approvals in stretch marks, acne scars, wrinkles, etc.

I can relate to your dilema and I think you should go for it!!. I just went to Disney World in July since my husband had been promising our daughter for a long while. Let me say while it was fun, it was not 4-5 thousand fun. If you feel better about your face, you should have more fun going to the park, getting ready quicker to take the kids out and maybe you could check into a more local amusement park and take a mini 500 dollar vaction that might be just as much fun.

They don't have fraxel in my area but I probably would have tried it by now if they did. I have been looking into an erbium micro peel which some places claim can make a big difference in scarring. One place around here charges only 250.00 for this.