Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
patj

what kind of face wash do you use?

i'm currently using one that is fragrance free and organic/natural and is not supposed to over dry my skin but lately it has started doing just that and making it red. i also have a tea tree oil wash that started burning my skin so i stopped using it

what is something that is virtually soap free and doesn't have any harsh chemicals ? i also thought maybe washing my face twice a day with these washes could be a problem. maybe i could try washing at night with a face wash and just with water in the morning or vice versa

oh yeah and at night i use tazorac cream. i decided to stop using it and my face washes until my skin goes back to normal

I won't say it's not harsh, but I wash my face twice a day with dandruff shampoo. It contains Pyrithione Zinc, which is antifungal, antibacterial and anti-itch. Just make sure you moisturize after each wash. I have very sensitive skin, and it really doesn't bother mine, but wait until your skin is back to normal. It doesn't work for everyone, but you could give it a try, it's doing wonders for me! :lol:

yikes! yeah i also need to find a moisturizer that doesn't cause my skin to burn

i have a weird face i guess

Ahah! I have the stuff for you. I use Cliniques dramatically different moisturizing gel. I absolutally love it, it doesn't make my skin burn or itch and it has cleared my eczema away. You can get a sample of the gel and lotion at any Clinique counter (say in the mall) for free. You can't order samples online though. So check the samples out if you can!

I use Kinerase Gentle Daily Cleanser which I love! It is noncomedogenic and hypoallergenic. It is moisturizing too and does not strip your face. I get it at sephora and it's about thirty dollars but it is worth it.

I use Johnson's Head to Toe Baby Wash.... it has sodium laureth sulfate in it, which some people say is irritating to skin (not as bad as sodium lauryl sulfate though), but it doesn't irritate my skin at all or make me break out, and it's soap-free, and doesn't sting your eyes..... I figure, if it's gently enough for a baby, then it's gentle enough for my face.

Plus it has basically the same ingredients as the Purpose face wash, but is a lot cheaper (they're both made my Johnson & Johnson).

Neutrogena Extra Sensitive Cleanser. Amazing stuff, you will not be disappointed. Does not dry your face at all, and is like the least irritating thing ever. Feels great on the skin.

I don't believe in cleansers, I believe in water and water pressure..

Use more and more water pressure you suit your needs.

Chemical Side-effects - none.

i guess i'm either going to try cetaphil or that neutrogena extra sensitive cleanser

i don't like the look of the ingredients but if it works i can try it

I have used the cetaphil antibacterial bar, since that's what my derm told me to use. It was mild and didn't give me a rash like so many other cleansers, but it didn't do a whole lot for my acne.

I used Cetaphil for a while, and had mixed opinions. I think this was the most gentle cleanser I've tried so far. It was very gentle and didn't irritate my skin at all, and my skin felt very soft after washing it. I stopped using it after using up my first bottle because it almost felt too gentle. I felt like my skin wasn't really getting clean, and if I was wearing any makeup, the Cetaphil was not strong enough to wash it off, so i had to use a seperate makeup remover before I could wash my face with the Cetaphil.

I think this is good if you need a really gentle cleanser to wash skin that isn't dirty, but it seemed to me that this cleanser wasn't enough to actually clean my skin if it was dirty or had anything on it.

i read that both of these washes moisturize or retain moisture. is it enough not to have to buy a seperate one?

While I was using cetiphil I didn't have to use any kind of moisturizer, but since I've been washing my face with shampoo :lol: I do. But I don't mind since my acne is going away.

*points at sig* Avalon Organics CoQ10. I LOVE it. It's very gentle and organic. They have a cleansing cream wash as well, for dry skin. Their toner is also wonderfully refreshing, but toners are totally optional in general. The base is lavender water and aloe, so it's really gentle.

Avalon Organics also has a line specifically for people with sensitive skin. It's all a little bit more pricey than the average drugstore product, but it's a very good drugstore product and I love it.

I have sensitive skin, and the only thing i use is cetaphil gentle skin cleanser. I use to hate it, but i went on it for a weak and it made a huge difference! But when my skin get very oily i use Dove sensitive skin bar soap. Hope i helped!

i bought the cetaphil gentle skin cleanser

at first i didn't know whether to get that or the cetaphil daily facial cleanser. there probably isn't much of a difference right? the daily one is for normal to oily skin

should i try it tonight or just wait until my face stops being dry

well i tried it and i was surprised it didn't burn or make my face tight at all. my face is still a bit dry but i think it's still from the other one

My favorite cleanser ever is Dermalogica UltraCalming cleanser. It is super gentle and contains no acids of any kind. It is also a great makeup remover for both your face and eyes. The one problem I have with it is price. I forget the exact price, but it's kind of expensive. Unless that is a problem for you, I would definitely recommend trying it.

btw: I had the same problem w/ my moisturizer. I guess it burned because my skin was super sensitive since I had just started using Retin-A and duac...now I'm using the same stuff and its all good.

Hey "imjstpeachy" I used to use Dermalogica, too! You're definately right about the price tag!

When I first saw my dermatologist, I asked him about what I should use to cleanse, and all in all, he basically said: keep your skin moisturised. I don't think you can get the Simple range in the USA... but I personally use their Foaming Facial Wash and Replenishing Rich Moisturiser. Only one problem though... sometimes the moisturiser stings like crazy!

Cetaphil cleanser is fuking horrible. Yea I said it. I don't know why it is considered the "holy grail" on this website but cetaphil products suck major donkey balls.

First the cleanser,

Main ingredient = water (probably about 95%)

Cleansing agent = Sodium Laureth Sulfate which is known irritant for acne.

Summary - You are washing your face with a mixture of water and an irritant along with a few emulsifiers and preservatives.........does that make any sense? NO! In fact you would probably be better off just washing with tap water. The only people that like this product are ones on strong acne fighting drugs (accutane, retin-a, differin, etc) since it is "gentle cleansing" , yea thats because its just freaking water! More likely than not, this cleanser will not help your acne unless you are on one of those drugs. It may even make it worse if your skin reacts to the SLS.

Next up the moisturizer,

Pros - doesnt cause breakouts for many people

Cons - makes your face look very shiny and oily all day. feels like you have a layer of grease on your face.

Enough said. Just another over-hyped crappy cetaphil product. There are many other better options for moisturizers.

Ok, my rant is over. Carry on

so yeah this cetaphil cleanser was garbage. maybe it helps some people but it's not good for my sensitive face. my face actually got better since i stopped using face washes all together and just used water. since i stopped i have only had 2 pimples

the other day i started using a vegetable based vitamin e glycerin soap that i like. my face seems to have improved with it but maybe it's just a coincidence